Can you walk a dog in season ?

General discussion on all labradoodle-related matters - anything not otherwise covered by specific forums on the site.
CocoPops

Can you walk a dog in season ?

Post by CocoPops » 23 Oct 2012, 16:30

Hi,
We have only had Coco a couple of weeks and she came into season a week or so ago.
I have carried on walking her early in the morning, evenings etc.
I am now wondering whether I shouldnt be walking her out... ??
It is generally quiet when we walk and we avoid other dogs.

Jo and Coco

Lola

Re: Can you walk a dog in season ?

Post by Lola » 23 Oct 2012, 17:22

I carry on walking Lola. But I try and go places where I wont meet other dogs.

Paul

Sarah Bevan

Post by Sarah Bevan » 23 Oct 2012, 18:25

I agree with Paul,
Don't go to the park where off lead dogs will pester her, if you meet 2 dogs they might fight over her.
Stick it the pavements and she will be fine.
Sarah and Jessie

Phoebe11

Post by Phoebe11 » 23 Oct 2012, 19:23

Exactly what Paul & Sarah say, we carried on walking phoebe on her lead of course.
Jo, Phoebe & Darcy

hockborn

Post by hockborn » 23 Oct 2012, 19:56

You may find after a week or so, it will be her that tries to initiate meetings with other dogs. She will become more playful etc. The most crucial time is after she has bled red and starts a browny/clear discharge. this is the optimum time for pregnancy in which she will accept other dogs to go near her. Watch for her tail to swish over to the side if she meets other dogs. Always keep on the lead. Roughly keep to a 6 week rule- 2 weeks before bleed and 4 weeks from sight of blood just to be sure. This is only advice and other, more experienced doode owners may be of more help with different experiences.

Clairejen

Post by Clairejen » 23 Oct 2012, 20:02

For the safety of male dogs, it would be nice if bitches in season were driven to car parks next to their walking area. Leaving a scent trail along the streets can lead to males running along the road, and ending up on your doorstep.
Claire
slave of Leon & Sally
Image Image

Immi

Post by Immi » 23 Oct 2012, 23:46

I personally believe in season bitches should be kept at home or walked only at rather unsociable hours when you won't encounter other dogs. Also leaving a scent trail to your house can be problematic, however other dogs will be able to sense her presence from a startling distance. If you do take her out while other dogs are about you could be responsible for owners of other dogs losing control of usually well behaved animals, causing unpredictable behaviour which may have unfortunate consequences. I personally would not take the risk.
Gav & Becks.

Bid

Post by Bid » 24 Oct 2012, 00:01

I agree with Immi - as the owner of an intact male, I know that even if the bitch is long gone, he would be uncontrollable if walked in the same area where one had been walked :( . I only walked my girls in places not open to the public when they were in season - I am fortunate in having a farmer friend who adores Poppy so he lets us walk on his land which is not a right of way.
www.dogtrekker.co.uk
Beauty without vanity, strength without insolence, courage without ferocity, and all the virtues of man without his vices - Byron

racholiandpoppy

Post by racholiandpoppy » 24 Oct 2012, 18:03

I too would like advice on this. Poppy is on season, and we have not walked her. But i feel really guilty not doing so!

We are in the centre of a town and even if we drive to any county places near by they are often full of dogs - so I'm not quite sure what to do.

I don't want to be mean on her, neither do I want to cause trouble for any other dogs!

xxx

Bid

Post by Bid » 24 Oct 2012, 19:10

If you don't want to be mean to her, keep her at home. It is very distressing for a bitch to be pestered by an insistant male, and even neutered males are frequently hard to control around a bitch in season. My old lab who had been neutered for 11 years still found them irresitable!
www.dogtrekker.co.uk
Beauty without vanity, strength without insolence, courage without ferocity, and all the virtues of man without his vices - Byron

Immi

Post by Immi » 24 Oct 2012, 19:53

It's not just males that can be problematic either, Immi seems to find showing bitches irresistible too! :roll: I had a bit of a confrontation with an owner of a retriever bitch being walked in season. It was in an off lead walking area, and Immi just bolted from me in pursuit of this retriever. She humped away like a hot blooded male and had to be physically removed from the other bitch. Unfortunately the owner was also a total bitch and had a huge go at me for not being able to control my male dog. You should have seen her face when I informed her Immi is female!!! :lol: I told her it was the risk you take if you walk a bitch in season, and that you can't blame a dog for acting on natural instinct.
Gav & Becks.

gilly g

Post by gilly g » 24 Oct 2012, 21:27

I wouldn't!! and didn't when I had a bitch.

As Immi & Bid have said, you will leave a trail to your door. And there is nothing like the willpower of a bitch ready to mate.. despite all of your good intentions, she may well be so determined to mate that she will get to a dog any which way even if she is on a lead!!.

Personally, I don't think it's fair to walk a bitch in season where dogs regularly walk, I always kept mine at home.

bjellys

Post by bjellys » 26 Oct 2012, 09:52

To be honest I carry on as normal I just keep Mollie on the lead a bit more . Our walks are mostly off road So when I can see that the coast is clear I still let her off.She has only ever looked interested in going with another dog ( Charlie ) who she is in love with all year round any other dogs that try it on she just sits down a bit sharpish and promptly turns and bites them gently to let them know is not interested.I do cycle all the time with Mollie so in the event that she did run off I stand a bit of a chance of catching her.
I Must say even when Mollie isn't in season if she smells Charlie's scent she will run full belt for up to two miles round the farm along a country lane and back on the farm again where we go until she finds him.

CocoPops

Post by CocoPops » 29 Oct 2012, 13:48

Thanks all for your replies.

I have been going out at silly hours and walking the streets for the short walks.
I have only seen one entire male in our area, who is a huge chocolate Lab.

I am being really vigilant and will be glad when it's all over and we can go for a long walk or doodle meet up, plus I want to take a trip to the seaside and see what she does when she sees the sea ! :)

Is sniffing everywhere all the time a doodle thing or an in season thing ?
I spend most of the walk letting her sniff !
?
Thanks again.

Coco, Jo and family.