Scrap at Agility

General discussion on all labradoodle-related matters - anything not otherwise covered by specific forums on the site.
tillytubbie

Scrap at Agility

Post by tillytubbie » 29 Oct 2012, 22:16

We went to agility this evening. We were warming up, when Tilly went over to a Golden Doodle to say hello. A grey dog was standing there as well, and as Tilly went for a fuss from the golden doodle's owner, the grey dog went for her. A scrap insured!
I grabbed Tilly, the owner grabbed the grey dog - and as she did so it turned round and bit her arm!
It was a deep puncture wound which needed a bandage and probably a trip to the hospital!!

Turns out the Golden Doodle's owner had fish treats which she had been feeding the grey dog. Tilly went to the owner and the grey dog got possessive of the treats.

The dogs weren't harmed (Tilly was FAR bigger than the grey dog and thankfully didn't retaliate that much!) They both had wet necks, but I don't think they managed to grab each other

Anyway - we are moving up a class next week so won't see them again! Dogs will be dogs!!
Image Image Image

MandyG

Re: Scrap at Agility

Post by MandyG » 29 Oct 2012, 22:59

More trouble is caused by owners doling out treats when other dogs are around than anything else. You just don't know how someone else's dog is going to react. I nearly had my thumb taken off once when a golden retriever grabbed the treat bag I was holding and would not let go. It had my thumb in a vice grip and that was getting tighter and tighter all the time.

I learned my lesson that day and now never bring the treats out when there's a pack around and NEVER give anybody else's dog a treat.

Love and licks, Phoebe and Mandy

bedlingtondoodle

Post by bedlingtondoodle » 30 Oct 2012, 20:50

tillytubbie wrote: Dogs will be dogs!!
This must be meant as a joke right?

Please tell me you don't think that this is just "normal" dog behavior.
Lewie
Benson

tillytubbie

Post by tillytubbie » 30 Oct 2012, 23:23

bedlingtondoodle wrote:
tillytubbie wrote: Dogs will be dogs!!
This must be meant as a joke right?

Please tell me you don't think that this is just "normal" dog behavior.
A dog guarding food isn't a natural behaviour?!
Obviously a warning should have been enough - not an attack!
Image Image Image

bedlingtondoodle

Post by bedlingtondoodle » 31 Oct 2012, 00:07

tillytubbie wrote: so it turned round and bit her arm!
It was a deep puncture wound which needed a bandage and probably a trip to the hospital!!
I am so glad that my dogs aren't 'natural' in this respect :(

A dog guarding food may to some be seen as natural, although never acceptable but a dog that lacks such control and shows no bite inhibition????

It is more of a common theme that terrible dog behavior is writen off as dogs natural instict, such a shame
Lewie
Benson

Bid

Post by Bid » 31 Oct 2012, 01:17

No - definitely not! A dog guarding food isn't normal!

Funny you posting this, as for the first time I was bitten by a dog this evening :( . It was at our dog dance class, and we were doing weaving through a line of legs when a deaf collie was surprised by a rescue collie. Deaf collie snapped a warning, rescue collie responded, deaf collie went to bite, and my leg was in the way! Onl a small puncture but it was through jeans, and judging by the bruising the dog meant it!
www.dogtrekker.co.uk
Beauty without vanity, strength without insolence, courage without ferocity, and all the virtues of man without his vices - Byron

Maggie111

Post by Maggie111 » 31 Oct 2012, 01:24

Ooh gosh Bid that does sound bad :( Amazing you've spent so much time around dogs and only just encountered your first bite. Now you have a good war wound story I guess! (I'll pass on getting my own though!)

Sorry I can't help much on natural dog behaviour but I do think that if it was Tilly who was the biter her Mum would have a different reaction.

bjellys

Post by bjellys » 31 Oct 2012, 01:42

Food guarding in my eyes is not to be tolerated ever it is the thin end of the wedge in the terms of who is top dog.
A friend came round and gave Mollie a pigs snout as a treat as always I ask Mollie to leave and she just drops whatever treat she has ,this time she gave a deep growl as a warning so I grabbed her firmly by the neck and told her again to leave to which she let me know she really meant business.I then got a tighter grip and forced the snout out of her mouth and put it out of reach an hour later I gave it back and immediately told her to leave and she spat it out as if it was hot and has done ever since I found it very upsetting but dogs have to know who's boss .
On a lighter side I have started training Mollie to roll over and over again then stay down and crawl along the floor to get a treat.She will do it once a day after that she flatly refuses to do it she just has a scratch /licks her bum or looks the other way and no amount of high value treats offered will persuade her.

Cate

Post by Cate » 31 Oct 2012, 20:55

Dogs will be dogs and have their spats, and we as owners hate to see their dog fighting and will step in to stop it. Even I haven't learnt from my mistake of separating 2 dogs from fighting, I now have,a spectacular 6 inch scar on my arm, spent 3 days in hospital and a week in cast so I wouldn't move my arm as there was only just enough skin. And if 2 of mine were going at I would still step in. The dog in its red mist doesn't realise what it's got hold of, whether it be dog or human

bedlingtondoodle

Post by bedlingtondoodle » 31 Oct 2012, 21:24

Cate wrote: The dog in its red mist doesn't realise what it's got hold of, whether it be dog or human
I am sure that this would be a fine excuse \ reason to have your dog saved from DDA prosecution????

I am not saying these things never happen but it that excuse "dog will be dogs" :roll: People will be people so do we accept every thing they do with a hey - ho attitude coz in that red mist....
Lewie
Benson

Cate

Post by Cate » 31 Oct 2012, 22:34

I don't have a hey ho attitude towards dog attacks, but I look into the reason why dogs do. I got hold of a dogs collar that was in full fight mode, hey ho my fault, if the dog had attacked me for no reason then I would have insisted it would have been destroyed. Dogs have minds of their own, without the self control of a human, so it is our responsibility to monitor that control. With all animals it is flight or fight. I recently had to have my 6 year old american bulldog, that I bred pts as he had a brain tumour, which made his behaviour unpredictable, therefore untrustworthy

Bid

Post by Bid » 31 Oct 2012, 22:42

Most dogs usually do everything they can to avoid a fight - they will bark, growl, snarl, snap, posture, curl their lips and raise their hackles. The last thing they want to do is fight because when that happens one or both of them will get hurt, added to which most dogs have learnt bite inhibition, so that when their mouth closes around a limb, there is no pressure. Anything other than that is not acceptable in my book, and is a cause for some serious training, and time to put preventative measures in place.
www.dogtrekker.co.uk
Beauty without vanity, strength without insolence, courage without ferocity, and all the virtues of man without his vices - Byron