Breeding

General discussion on all labradoodle-related matters - anything not otherwise covered by specific forums on the site.
gilly g

Breeding

Post by gilly g » 12 Nov 2012, 22:25

Am I the only one concerned about the amount of advertising at the moment for studs and bitches and litters in the general forum?

Bid

Re: Breeding

Post by Bid » 12 Nov 2012, 23:02

No, you're not - there are so many puppies around atm! At least the ones mentioned on here will be from health tested parents which is good. I realise that all breeders start somewhere, and if someone wants to set up as a breeder and gets a suitable bitch with that in mind, that seems fair enough to me, as long as they do all the health tests, and are prepared to keep any puppies that don't have a good home waiting for them, and so on.

What I don't understand are the people who want to breed from a family pet - I can't imagine wanting to put one of my girls through the stress of a mating and the risk of giving birth to a litter just for my own gratification, because imo it's not in the bitch's best interests.
www.dogtrekker.co.uk
Beauty without vanity, strength without insolence, courage without ferocity, and all the virtues of man without his vices - Byron

Cate

Post by Cate » 13 Nov 2012, 01:01

Glad you started this thread. I was thinking the same the other day, lookingon web sites. I noticed there is an increasing amount of older dogs people are rehoming, from approx 4 months.
I didn't want to sound like a party poop, but 3 out of my 4 doodles came to me for various reasons, the youngest being 16 months at the time.

lizziesmum

Post by lizziesmum » 13 Nov 2012, 08:48

Im with you on this Gilly....Are these people aware that the majority on here are anti-breeding?maybe they just dont understand that they are looking on the wrong site for mates.
I feel like saying to them all,look how many Doodles are in rescue,these dogs,we usume were loved and wanted as pups.
Unless you can offer all health checks and an ongoing commitment to the litter,dont breed.
I liked what Tipp-off did with Angel,they had her chipped and no changes can be made to the chip except through Tipp-Off.

Lexi-dood

Post by Lexi-dood » 13 Nov 2012, 08:53

I think new breeders post photos of their puppies on the forum as a way of advertising, as they are worried about finding homes for them. If one breeder does it, then others will follow .... :wink:

Maybe there should be a section purely for breeders advertisements?

Tracycooper15

Post by Tracycooper15 » 13 Nov 2012, 09:45

Lexi-dood wrote:I think new breeders post photos of their puppies on the forum as a way of advertising, as they are worried about finding homes for them. If one breeder does it, then others will follow .... :wink:

Maybe there should be a section purely for breeders advertisements?
There is another way to look at this, I post photos of Marmites litter on here for a couple of reasons - because I've been a member of this forum since Marmite was a pup and because I've had requests from members who want to coo over the puppies and see how they are changing over the weeks. I don't see this as advertising.
All the litter have great homes to go to and have passed their interviews :wink: I've turned more people away than I have let come and see the pups. I don't want to see any of my litter end up in rescue and want to minimise the chances of having to be re homed, this is heartbreaking for all concerned.

blueboysgirl

Post by blueboysgirl » 13 Nov 2012, 09:58

I'm in two minds over this one.

Half of me is a bit uncomfortable with SOME "breeders" thinking it's a great way to make some money, while others clearly take great pride and care over their pup's wellbeing.

Half of me is thinking about all those poor unloved dogs in kennels needing someone to take a chance on them, but then most of us on here got our first Doodle pup from a breeder.

It's a difficult one with lots of shades of grey, but I don't want anyone starting a fight about the whys and wherefores of breeding, as it is after all, a very individual choice, that every dog owner currently has every right to make.
Claire and Bruno
ImageImage

Bid

Post by Bid » 13 Nov 2012, 10:06

lizziesmum wrote:Are these people aware that the majority on here are anti-breeding?.
I'm not sure that any of us who have had a doodle as a puppy can really claim to be anti-breeding! I am concerned about peoples' reasons for breeding - it's those that say they want their girl to have one litter before she's spayed, or they want to have a litter because their girl is so perfect that concern me, or even worse- those who reckon they can make a few quid out of a litter.

There are a fair few breeders out there who do things carefully, and already have waiting lists before they have a litter, and who are working hard to further the health and future of labradoodles, and I have no complaints about them breeding.

You also can't expect everyone to go for a rescue - people with small children may fear that the unknown background of a rescue is too great a risk, or speaking personally, having a doodle with a health problem and another with a behavioural issue I felt I needed to know the full background of my next doodle, and got a puppy that Daisy could educate in her rules for play!
www.dogtrekker.co.uk
Beauty without vanity, strength without insolence, courage without ferocity, and all the virtues of man without his vices - Byron

Lexi-dood

Post by Lexi-dood » 13 Nov 2012, 10:44

[quote

There is another way to look at this, I post photos of Marmites litter on here for a couple of reasons - because I've been a member of this forum since Marmite was a pup and because I've had requests from members who want to coo over the puppies and see how they are changing over the weeks. I don't see this as advertising.
All the litter have great homes to go to and have passed their interviews :wink: I've turned more people away than I have let come and see the pups. I don't want to see any of my litter end up in rescue and want to minimise the chances of having to be re homed, this is heartbreaking for all concerned.[/quote]

Anyone who posts photos of their puppies before they have homes to go to is advertising and I think everyone is aware of that, no matter how you dress it up.

I am not against good breeders, far from it, as we wouldn't have our beloved labradoodles without them. And being anti good breeders having litters just because there are dogs in rescues is crazy, as Bid has pointed out, not everyone is able to take on an adult dog with an unknown history.

I do think there should be a puppy blog section, like in other forums, for breeders to post updates of their litters, that way the general section doesn't become full of advertisements. Also, breeders should be encouraged to use the breeder section to discuss any issues such as coat types etc.

Liz!!

Post by Liz!! » 13 Nov 2012, 10:56

Oh! I haven't regarded the pictures of my friends' on here's puppies as advertising at all.

For me it's a way of cooing over their gorgeousness instead of having one.

We all watch (or most of us) series about peoples' lives and reality shows as well on TV. It's just another form of that - vicarious pleasure in a story, in this case, how they grow into little characters.

In no way have any of the recent posters advertised, in fact they have all said they are vetting homes and have homes for their pups.

So I totally disagree that they are advertising.

The posters who come on and just put pictures of their stud dogs perhaps there is a point to politely showing them the breeders page.

But not our friends. Who have been here with us for ages. They are part of their own story here on the general thread and that is as it should be.

They are more of an advert to how it should be done - they are NOT breeders who churn out litter after litter and their pups are more likely to be healthy. They are brought up in REAL family homes instead of being one of 20 dogs whose puppies are brought into the house from another room or another house where they are being fostered at the breeders convenience. They have been health checked.
Lola is a UK Assistance Dog, trained to alert me for low blood sugar by Medical Detection Dogs (http://www.medicaldetectiondogs.org.uk)

AMBERDOODLE

Post by AMBERDOODLE » 13 Nov 2012, 11:26

Written by - Tracycooper15.

I agree with Tracy and show photo's for the same reasons. I didn't register my planned litter on here as we were only expecting a small litter and 2 are staying within family - so certainly didn't breed for financial gain. I have had a waiting list since the mating and found some lovely families for the other 3 and have been inundated with more people wanting one than we have puppies and would certainly take them back if needed as I care about what happens to them. I will insist on owners keeping in touch so that I can see how they and puppy are coping and be able to offer any advice and also I will miss them and want to know how they are.
This site is wonderful for gaining advice and being able to give advice or share experience's.
I may have been selfish to put my girl through this, as it was something I have wanted to experience going on for 13 years. My previous bitch was health tested but hip score wasn't good enough so we did the sensible thing and had her spayed.
Amber is hip/elbow scored, eye tested, swabbed etc.. Harry the dad is optigen clear. I have spent hours researching and talking to breeders about whether to go ahead with breeding or not, so didn't just jump straight into it. I felt bad just putting my girl through the manipulation for the hip and elbow scoring and so far it has been an emotional journey worrying about mum and pups. but wouldn't change it for the world.
It is also a big financial commitment with health checks, stud fee's, vet's bills, equipment, medicines and I could go on.
We all do new things for the first time in life and I feel if you are dedicated, spend a lot of time researching and care about what you are doing then it's a good start.
I appreciate that there are dogs needing to be rehomed but as a family with children a lot of rehoming centre's wouldn't consider us as suitable (because of having children) and a lot of families are in the same situation.
If I was personally buying another puppy I would prefer to know that the mother has a good active family life and not just being used for pumping out puppies!
Everyone is entitled to their own opinions and I respect that. Just thought i'd put my own across.
ImageImage
Amber&Caz

Bid

Post by Bid » 13 Nov 2012, 11:49

Lexi-dood wrote: I do think there should be a puppy blog section, like in other forums, for breeders to post updates of their litters, that way the general section doesn't become full of advertisements. Also, breeders should be encouraged to use the breeder section to discuss any issues such as coat types etc.
That's a good idea!
www.dogtrekker.co.uk

AMBERDOODLE

Post by AMBERDOODLE » 13 Nov 2012, 12:34

Lexi-dood wrote:
I do think there should be a puppy blog section, like in other forums, for breeders to post updates of their litters, that way the general section doesn't become full of advertisements. Also, breeders should be encouraged to use the breeder section to discuss any issues such as coat types etc.
As for coat types - surely labradoodle owners and potential owners would find it useful to see how a coat develops from a new born. This is why I thought it would be a good idea to share with others that may want to look!.
I tried to find advice a couple of years ago when choosing Amber and it was a bit hit and miss. We thought her coat would probably remain short and it has. But had we had some pictures of 4 week old puppies coats and their change into adult coats it would have been more helpful (I still would have chosen Amber)
The puppy blog section is a good idea though, then those that enjoy seeing cute puppy pics.from a far can watch them grow. :mrgreen:
ImageImage
Amber&Caz

dexter14

Post by dexter14 » 13 Nov 2012, 14:21

I love to see the pups ,but i too think there are too many dogs in kennels ,i wanted a resuce dog and went to kennels ,but in the end like bid said ,i had a very young grandaugther and cat and other family dogs ,so i decided to get a puppy for just that reason ,i had already had a dog the nipped children he was a yorkie and i had had him from a pup ,but i couldnt take that chance .Thats why i went for a labradoodle .
]Image

Pippin

Post by Pippin » 13 Nov 2012, 21:14

There is a breeders' section in the forum but I think I may have been one of the last people to post in it nearly two years ago. Unfortunately, when I did post on it there was a fuss made by a few on the forum as the thread appears in amongst all the other active convos but if you do not have permissions to view the breeders forum you get a message saying something like 'you do not have permission to view this forum' some members were unhappy that convos were going on in private and felt they should be party to everything. I'd love to see the breeder's part of the forum used more.
ImageImage

Puppies should be warm clean and well, walk away if they are not.

http://www.dashingdoodles.co.uk/