Breeding

General discussion on all labradoodle-related matters - anything not otherwise covered by specific forums on the site.
MalcolmW

Re: Breeding

Post by MalcolmW » 13 Nov 2012, 22:45

I think puppy supply is outstripping demand - I have been watching a local litter drop in price from £700 to £500 a puppy over the last few weeks :shock:

Another thing I have noticed is that mini Labradoodles are now almost the same price as their bigger relatives.

I always dread to think what happens to the pups that remain unsold - I can't imagine many "normal" family breeders having room in their house for 4-5 growing puppies
Malcolm

owned by the Labradoodles Lottie and Ruby
and Teigan & Leo the Mini Schnauzers

Clairejen

Post by Clairejen » 14 Nov 2012, 21:06

I'll probably be shot down for saying this, but I think it is important that some people do breed a litter from their family pets. Breeding being in the hands of a few professionals, using the same genetic lines and the same studs has shrunk the gene pool for many pedigree breeds and resulted in many unhealthy and short-lived dogs. One of the reasons I was attracted to doodles in the first place was that they are cross breeds, broadening the gene base, and hobby breeders play a huge part in this.
Claire
slave of Leon & Sally
Image Image

Bid

Post by Bid » 15 Nov 2012, 18:09

As long as the established breeders stick to 4 litters per bitch, and there is still a demand for F1 doodles then that shouldn't be a problem though :|
www.dogtrekker.co.uk
Beauty without vanity, strength without insolence, courage without ferocity, and all the virtues of man without his vices - Byron

bedlingtondoodle

Post by bedlingtondoodle » 15 Nov 2012, 23:35

It is more about "common stud"

Many studs have hundreds of litters, so the fact that bitches only have a few makes little difference...sadly.

F1's have again the same problem that many have the same poodle father :( this has a future knock on effect
Lewie
Benson

Lexi-dood

Post by Lexi-dood » 16 Nov 2012, 08:48

bedlingtondoodle wrote:It is more about "common stud"

Many studs have hundreds of litters, so the fact that bitches only have a few makes little difference...sadly.

F1's have again the same problem that many have the same poodle father :( this has a future knock on effect
That is so true, sadly :( The UKLA insist on mini poodles being hip scored but most mini poodle breeders don't do this as they are a small dog, so this limits the amount of dogs that labradoodle breeders can use, reducing the gene pool. :(

Bid

Post by Bid » 16 Nov 2012, 09:52

Lexi-dood wrote: The UKLA insist on mini poodles being hip scored but most mini poodle breeders don't do this as they are a small dog, so this limits the amount of dogs that labradoodle breeders can use, reducing the gene pool. :(
In spite of the name, the UKLA isn't actually an organisation, just a website with a forum set up by an interested owner (for which we are very grateful!), so the code of practice only applies to people wanting to advertise their litters on here. There are many breeders out there who don't do any health tests at all, and who don't take anything like as much care as the breeders we see on here.
www.dogtrekker.co.uk
Beauty without vanity, strength without insolence, courage without ferocity, and all the virtues of man without his vices - Byron

briansangel

Post by briansangel » 29 Nov 2012, 00:54

Im happy to see the reputable breeders showing off their pups.. Its a way of people knowing the pups they buy are healthy and health checked... And its always nice to coo over puppys especially when you dont have one :| xxx
ImageImage

michala

Post by michala » 29 Nov 2012, 23:59

I read this site often - oops daily! And I do not think I have seen anyone advertising? showing off beautiful health tested healthy loved puppies yes - but not advertising. I work hard to ensure that mine all have fabulous homes pre conception. however, I do love to show them off because I feel that they are gorgeous. In addition I love love love others puppy posts! I can't remember the ladies name but do you remember the ones a couple of years back that were in the bath etc etc wow I loved those. Oh and I I'll never forget Paul's puppy playhouse! Thank you for sharing and long may it continue x