Which breeders dont charge £1000+ for minatures??

General discussion on all labradoodle-related matters - anything not otherwise covered by specific forums on the site.
luggage16

Which breeders dont charge £1000+ for minatures??

Post by luggage16 » 23 Nov 2012, 00:33

Hi
I am really struggling to find any breeders that dont want over £1000 for a miniature labradoodle. Most seem to be the Australian doodles but I am happy with british. I have found annette but she has no litters planned until march/april (and she doesnt like to home them in houses with toddlers so I dont think we will have much luck there - though she was really lovely and helpful on the phone and sounds like the kind of breeder I am after!) and she recommended another breeder but they have labradoodle/cockapoo cross and I wanted labradoodle only. Does any one have any idea of where to start? Labradoodles sound the ideal breed but finding any seems pretty impossible! Am slowly making my way through lists on labradoodle association website but wondered if anyone could pm me with recommendations of breeders that dont ask for quite so much! I'm pretty amazed to be honest - £1500 etc per pup = crazy amount per litter?!?! they cant possible cost anywhere near that to raise?? My friend got hers for about £600 a couple of years ago and we are willing to go up to £900 for the right breeder but obviously would prefer it to be less than this. We are going round in circles tbh so would love any imput anyone has

Thanks
Sam

Immi

Re: Which breeders dont charge £1000+ for minatures??

Post by Immi » 23 Nov 2012, 02:45

Those are pretty crazy prices to be honest, average is about £700 for UK doodles. I would hazard a guess that some unscrupulous breeders are putting prices up with xmas around the corner... The aussies certainly cost more, usually at or above the £1k mark, but british really shouldn't be going for that sort of money. According to some posters on here you find quite a lot breeders in papers and websites that are really dropping their prices because there isn't as much demand as there is pups, but I would be wary of such breeders, they probably don't have the same standards as well known reputable breeders. As you probably already know, always insist on seeing full health reports.
Gav & Becks.

julieju

Post by julieju » 23 Nov 2012, 10:00

Hi there, we had the opposite problem, we were looking for a standard australian but I don't think they exist either!

There are loads of people on the forum who know a lot more than I do about all this, but here goes...

My understanding is that most F1 English Labradoodles will end up fairly large because their parents are large... ie labs and poodles. Aussie doodles have got other breeds in the mix as well, which is why they come out smaller.

To breed a smallish English Labradoodle, the parents would need to be on the small side, but even then I think puppy owners often end up with a bigger dog than they imagined. As Labradoodles are cross breeds, it's difficult for breeders to guarantee anything. There's a lot of chance involved.

Aussies are more predictable in terms of size (but you're right, the prices are ridiculous, £1,000 - £1,700).

Is that right, everyone? :?

Good luck with your search, doodles are amazing dogs :D

xx
Julie and Aero xx

luggage16

Post by luggage16 » 23 Nov 2012, 10:23

How do you know whether a breeder is any good if you go through the papers/online ads? I've been looking and there is a litter available atm in kent (brown boy/black girl) but I cant work out if they would be ok or not (plus we cant really do it atm as we have 2 long days out booked one next weekend and one the weekend after). Any time after that would be fine though as thats our last full day out we have planned (even without a dog days into london or zoos etc dont tend to happen again until at least the spring and obviously when we get our dog we will avoid these for even longer unless we can convince parents to puppy sit). The ad I've found is this: http://www.breedersonline.co.uk/puppy-f ... d=3285x224

If I found something similar in a couple of weeks would something like this be worth looking in to or is it best to avoid these kinds of ads altogether?

Thanks
Sam

shellsie

Post by shellsie » 23 Nov 2012, 10:56

Well I'm no expert but think if u buy a 'miniature' that's not Australian then u are not guaranteed that it will actually be a miniature if u see what I mean. I know the prices are ludicrous, we paid too much for ours to be honest but they are worth every penny.

There is a website called The UK Doodle Club and there are breeders on there (some of Australian only but others also) and u can sign up and fire away questions. Ask about size of doodle and can it be guaranteed miniature, about shedding etc if that is important to u. They will be able to give u information and advice.

I'm a newbie to this so am sure there are plenty on here who can advise u further. Good luck xxx

Anne Wozniak

Post by Anne Wozniak » 23 Nov 2012, 11:02

have a look at this site http://www.labradoodlepuppyfinder.com/

all breeders listed have to meet the requirements needed for breeding healthy puppies

good luck with your search :)

lizziesmum

Post by lizziesmum » 23 Nov 2012, 12:59

There,s a litter in Swadlincote,where I live,on Preloved.There are black and chocolate left.£425

racholiandpoppy

Post by racholiandpoppy » 23 Nov 2012, 13:10

If I were you I wouldn't rule out similar breeds if you can't find the perfect breeder etc.

We have a Mini Goldendoodle (cream) who is 11kg, and a recently rehomed Cockapoo (chocolate) who is 8kg.

Both dogs are very very similar to the labradoodle in looks and temperament. Labs are more food motivated, I think (Goldendoodle doesn't really care about food - it's attention etc for rewards) and Cockapoo uses her nose on walks more with head to the ground. They have different sounding barks - cockapoo more hound like. The Cockapoos' coat is softer and easier to brush (but that may be because she's younger (11 months) but both coats are thick and fluffy fleece. If you are at all bothered about colour (obviously this isn't a priority, but just to let you know), Cockapoos more often come in some amazing parti colours too - very stunning.

But, honestly, other than that - there aren't any noticeable differences as far as I can tell. Both are mistaken for labradoodles or any other doodles on every walk, and both have amazing temperaments and a brill mix or fun/playfulness and lapdog in them. Both love everything they come across - human or hound!

Maybe ask more about the labradoodle/cockapoo mix, if you are happy with that breeder - even go and meet them, you're not loosing out on anything, and you never know, they may turn out to be your perfect dog in your perfect budget!

We started out looking for a labradoodle, but ended up with our two!

xx

shellsie

Post by shellsie » 23 Nov 2012, 13:27

I'll ditto that, Cockerpoos are gorgeous. I'm a big fan of them xx

Dawn, Shellsie and Biggles xxx

shellsie

Post by shellsie » 23 Nov 2012, 13:27

I'll ditto that, Cockerpoos are gorgeous. I'm a big fan of them xx

Dawn, Shellsie and Biggles xxx

Bid

Post by Bid » 23 Nov 2012, 13:37

I think to some extent you get what you pay for with the UK doodles (although with any guarantees! ) (the Aussie breeders have additional expenses because to call them Australian Labradoodles means they have to have imported expensive breeding stock, hence the high prices). The litters from several generations of health tested parents are inevitably going to be more expensive than a litter from untested parents, and in between are those where the parents have all the health tests, but less is known about their backgrounds. From the breeders perspective, there is always the view that if you can't afford the price, can you afford the cost of keeping the dog, especially when it is unwell or injured? £1000 doesn't go far in vet bills!

I have preferred to visit the puppies well before I collect and preferably several times, so I can see how they are living, meet the parents, and the breeder before making up my mind - I have met some wonderful knowledgable caring breeders that way, and a lot of fabulous dogs! :D :D
www.dogtrekker.co.uk
Beauty without vanity, strength without insolence, courage without ferocity, and all the virtues of man without his vices - Byron

Aideypie

Post by Aideypie » 23 Nov 2012, 13:55

We did it all wrong when we got Fozzy, answered an add on a website, saw where he lived and met his Mum and siblings, he had been reduced to £350 because he was 11 weeks old and we brought him home there and then!! :oops: we had been looking for a pup close to us since Jan and he was for my husbands birthday on July 25th and we got him July 19th as he was close to where we lived, the right price, colour and size but we did not ask any of the right questions, and they were not breeders just people who had let their lab have one litter with their friends standard poodle! no idea about health checks, if I had been on this forum 1st we would never have got Fozzy, but thankfully everything has worked out ok for us, he is as fit as a lop and was meant to be ours but if we do it again I will be so much more cautious and informed :mrgreen:

J x

Niandsa

Post by Niandsa » 23 Nov 2012, 14:02

Poppy is a F1 miniature labradoodle and is turning out to be a bit smaller than we expected, which is great as we can still enjoy lovely cuddles on the sofa. :lol:

We paid £750 for her. Both parents had been fully health tested. When we were looking, there were lots more miniature than standard puppies around. I would agree that it may be a bad time of year to be looking. Many reputable breeders will not have puppies advertised at Christmastime.

Hope you find your new puppy soon. :)
ImageImage
Poppy and Rosie

AMBERDOODLE

Post by AMBERDOODLE » 23 Nov 2012, 15:40

[quote][ Many reputable breeders will not have puppies advertised at Christmastime/quote]

That is a little unfair. As a person whom has a litter at the moment, a bitch only has 2 seasons a year and unfortunately if her cycle happens to fall in August and she is bred then puppies will be ready for homes around Christmas. I have to say from my point of view it's a good time of the year to be stuck in a nice cosy home looking after mum and pups. :-)

Poppy is a gorgeous! and a happy looking doodle. :D
ImageImage
Amber&Caz

julieju

Post by julieju » 23 Nov 2012, 16:19

shellsie wrote:I know the prices are ludicrous, we paid too much for ours to be honest but they are worth every penny.
Yes, I should probably have said that although I think the price is ridiculous we still paid it. Aussie coats don't bring out my allergies, so for that reason alone Aero is definitely worth every penny too. :D

xx
Julie and Aero xx