Which breeders dont charge £1000+ for minatures??

General discussion on all labradoodle-related matters - anything not otherwise covered by specific forums on the site.
Maggie111

Re: Which breeders dont charge £1000+ for minatures??

Post by Maggie111 » 30 Nov 2012, 21:48

luggage16 wrote:I've found a litter of cockerpoos - The owner says they aren't prone to hip issues like the labradoodles - is this true? Both parents look gorgeous and the dad is fully eye tested and the owners sound fairly knowledgeable - and they live very close by too! I'm tempted to email and ask about coming to visit and see what we think. Are cockerpoos much different to labradoodles?

Thanks
Cockerpoos might not have as many hip issues (I'm not sure) but they do have their own issues. Whilst 99% of cocker spaniels are wonderful, a tiny minority are prone to temperament issues. The breeder where we got Barney also had a cockerpoo and she said she's a wonderful dog, but slightly more of a "madam" than her Doodle - but that could just be the dog than the breed, and frankly we all want dogs with personality :D

If I could have my choice again, I think I might get a cockerpoo purely for size reasons, although I wouldn't swap Barney for the world. I took Barney to the vets the other day and I got greeted with "My what a big labradoodle"... I didn't bother to say he's supposed to be a miniature labradoodle let alone being big for a standard one! :oops:

Bid

Post by Bid » 30 Nov 2012, 21:58

According to this site, they should be hip scored ...... http://www.cockapooclubgb.co.uk/health-testing.html
www.dogtrekker.co.uk
Beauty without vanity, strength without insolence, courage without ferocity, and all the virtues of man without his vices - Byron

shellsie

Post by shellsie » 30 Nov 2012, 22:02

I don't know much about the health side of things with Cockerpoos but they are gorgeous dogs. There are 2 in our puppy training and they are so lovely, very affectionate and beautiful to look at. I even said to my husband we should've got a Cockerpoo as our two were barking and stuff and the Cockerpoos were so relaxed lol. I would follow the same rules as in make sure parents and puppies are health tested etc but personally I think they're gorgeous and always get mistaken for Labradoodles. xxx

Bid

Post by Bid » 30 Nov 2012, 22:11

I think it depends on the cocker! Personally I would check out what the cocker was - American, English, or English working. Lovely though they are, I wouldn't personally want a pet dog with working cocker in it. They are fab dogs, but bred to work, and work, and work! I have met many working cockers and they are very very busy dogs, with the energy to keep on going!
www.dogtrekker.co.uk
Beauty without vanity, strength without insolence, courage without ferocity, and all the virtues of man without his vices - Byron

luggage16

Post by luggage16 » 30 Nov 2012, 22:25

Thanks
You guys are a great help! I have found another labradoodle litter now too (also ready in jan) so might try to visit both and get a better feel for which would be best.

shellsie

Post by shellsie » 30 Nov 2012, 22:34

After Christmas would probably be best to be honest. Things are less hectic then eh xxx

luggage16

Post by luggage16 » 30 Nov 2012, 22:40

yep Jan would be a good time for us, and was when we were originally looking for before I found that last litter (I would have probably arranged to pick up the other pups between christmas and new year tbh).

The mum is apparantly a british cocker spaniel and is happy being walked 20mins a day and the lady is a child minder and says the mum is great with kids. I'm slightly concerned at the lack of hip testing though, though from what I am reading they seem less prone to issues than the labs.

The labradoodles I've found are fully tested and only a few days old atm.

AMBERDOODLE

Post by AMBERDOODLE » 30 Nov 2012, 22:46

That's very unfair that you had arranged to visit and now the puppy is reserved.
I must be too honest. I've only booked people in one at a time to select their puppies in order of first whom is on my list, with reserve's who are aware that I have booked in viewing for each pup and if one of the families doesn't turn up or reserve they'd be next on my list.
Hope you get a puppy soon x.

Was the litter of cockapoos in the Hertfordshire area?. It's just I used a stud belonging to a Cockapoo breeder in that area. The Cockapoos's she had were very lovely friendly dogs and I know she had a litter that would probably be about 6 weeks old now.
ImageImage
Amber&Caz

luggage16

Post by luggage16 » 30 Nov 2012, 23:04

hiya
yes the cockerpoos are in herts but these are only about 3 weeks old. The woman just got a bit defensive when i asked about hip testing and whether the grandparents have been tested if the parents aren't (assuming the mum was probably a pedigree). Her answer was basically no the parents of her dog werent tested and as far as she knows cockerspaniels and cockerpoos arent generally tested. Am tempted to email her the cockerpoo websites I'm looking at. Hmm I think I will stick with the labradoodle litter we are looking into, they seem better suited to us tbh - I've become quite addicted to watching youtube clips of them now!

Maggie111

Post by Maggie111 » 30 Nov 2012, 23:19

luggage16 wrote:hiya
yes the cockerpoos are in herts but these are only about 3 weeks old. The woman just got a bit defensive when i asked about hip testing and whether the grandparents have been tested if the parents aren't (assuming the mum was probably a pedigree). Her answer was basically no the parents of her dog werent tested and as far as she knows cockerspaniels and cockerpoos arent generally tested. Am tempted to email her the cockerpoo websites I'm looking at. Hmm I think I will stick with the labradoodle litter we are looking into, they seem better suited to us tbh - I've become quite addicted to watching youtube clips of them now!
I wouldn't bother emailing her, you're not likely to change her opinion.

Barney's Mum was a wonderful dog, really helped "sell" us on Barney and I do think he picked up a lot of her temperament, it's a good idea to visit 2 litters (if you're still interested) and see which parent suits you, as well as a puppy.

AMBERDOODLE

Post by AMBERDOODLE » 30 Nov 2012, 23:54

Not the same breeder I used stud dog of then as her new litter were born few weeks before mine.
ImageImage
Amber&Caz

Pippin

Post by Pippin » 01 Dec 2012, 10:21

In addition to hip scores anyone looking for a Cockerpoo should also be looking for parents to be PRA tested, BVA eye tested and preferrably also be tested for FN.
ImageImage

Puppies should be warm clean and well, walk away if they are not.

http://www.dashingdoodles.co.uk/

Pollykettle

Post by Pollykettle » 11 Feb 2013, 18:06

I bought my labradoodle for £700 from Essex. His mother is a labradoodle and fathe a miniature poodle, does this make him a F2? When I got him I didn,t ask as I fell in love with him, will he reach 4 feet before I know what,s happened... But I love him whatever size he reaches!

Bid

Post by Bid » 11 Feb 2013, 18:17

Pollykettle wrote:I bought my labradoodle for £700 from Essex. His mother is a labradoodle and fathe a miniature poodle, does this make him a F2? When I got him I didn,t ask as I fell in love with him, will he reach 4 feet before I know what,s happened... But I love him whatever size he reaches!
That makes him a backcross - if his Mum was an F1, then he will be an F1b, if she's an F2 then he's an F2b and so on.
www.dogtrekker.co.uk

Maggie111

Post by Maggie111 » 11 Feb 2013, 18:26

Bid wrote:
Pollykettle wrote:I bought my labradoodle for £700 from Essex. His mother is a labradoodle and fathe a miniature poodle, does this make him a F2? When I got him I didn,t ask as I fell in love with him, will he reach 4 feet before I know what,s happened... But I love him whatever size he reaches!
That makes him a backcross - if his Mum was an F1, then he will be an F1b, if she's an F2 then he's an F2b and so on.
Yes, Barney is an F1B like your dog Pollykettle - labradoodle crossed with a mini poodle. He's a year old and he met his sister this weekend who is probably around 18". Barney is about 24"... You never know what you're going to get!