Rosedale Doodles

General discussion on all labradoodle-related matters - anything not otherwise covered by specific forums on the site.
Henries

Rosedale Doodles

Post by Henries » 07 Dec 2012, 21:25

Hi
I am looking to own a cockerpoo and have been deliberating over this for two years to be absolutely sure I am prepared for the commitment. This then followed months trying to find out as much information as possible trying to find the right breeder and asking the right questions. Puppies are available at Rosedale Doodles in Preston but I do notice that they seem to do quite a few variation on the poodle crossbreeds and seem to have a large puppy turnover. The set up looks great though and give care and attention to the puppies.
I only hear good things coming from the owners of Rosedale Doodle pups saying what lovely pets and great temperaments - any advice would be much appreciated.
Now we have made the decision I can't wait to have my puppy - but I so want to make the right decision.
Thank you to anyone who has information that may help.

Bid

Re: Rosedale Doodles

Post by Bid » 07 Dec 2012, 21:35

Are their dogs kennelled or do they live in the home? With that number of breeds I imagine they must be kennelled. It's a matter of personal choice, but I would only want a puppy brought up in a family home, from a mother who lives indoors. I think they are better prepared for a home, and I don't think it is right to keep bitches kennelled for breeding, no matter how nice the kennels - they are a business not a pet. I think dogs should be part of the family - just my view though.
www.dogtrekker.co.uk
Beauty without vanity, strength without insolence, courage without ferocity, and all the virtues of man without his vices - Byron

Rowan11

Post by Rowan11 » 07 Dec 2012, 21:41

I totally agree and would never buy from someone who was breeding so much and keeping the dogs outside. I would hate to encourage this sort of breeding. :(
Dawn & Luna x

Henries

Post by Henries » 07 Dec 2012, 21:44

Thank you for your view - I am kinda thinking the same - any recommendations greatly appreciated - I am from Cheshire but don't mind travelling.

Rowan11

Post by Rowan11 » 07 Dec 2012, 21:48

im not sure, there is a labradoodle finder so perhaps there is one for cockerpoo's. have a look at the breeders code of practice to help you with questions that you need to be asking breeders. Luna is from a hobby breeder and was born in their home and stayed inside with all the household noises, children etc. you need to make sure that all the relevent health tests are done on the parents. Good luck in your search :D
Dawn & Luna x

Maggie111

Post by Maggie111 » 07 Dec 2012, 21:55

Hi my friend bought her cavachon from Rosedale and she was very happy with health and temperament of her dog.

I think that those born in a kennel are a little less demanding than those raised in a home who get fusses everytime they make a racket. But having said that I would always want a home reared dog, they're likely to get lots of visits from family and friends and be used to noises. They way I see it I want my dog to live in a house not outdoor kennels so I want it brought up the same way.

Can't see any problem in you visiting though? Get an idea and see if you feel comfortable.

Daise1970

Post by Daise1970 » 07 Dec 2012, 22:57

I have two girl doodles: The first from a kennel breeder and the 2nd from a home hobby breeder.
They both have beautiful natures and so I think it just depends on the pup you choose and how you look after them.. :P
Good Luck with your search!
Daise xx

Ben

Post by Ben » 07 Dec 2012, 23:33

Would not touch them with a barge pole.

High turnover of puppies, all in kennels, no love given to mum and pups etc...

I met a lady with a 5yr old doodle, I'm racking my brains trying to remember the statistics, but she came from Rosedale, was quite skinny, nipples showing, and when I questioned the owner she said she had just rehomed her from Rosedale and she had her last litter 7weeks earlier which is why she was being rehomed.....! From memory we worked out that she had either started breeding early or some of the litters were back to back. The woman said the place was a mass of breeding bitches.

Have you looked at http://www.cockapooclubgb.co.uk/ or registered with cockerpoo club of gb on FB?

Kirstie & Murphy

Post by Kirstie & Murphy » 08 Dec 2012, 00:01

Good luck in finding your new addition, I'll send a pm.
Kirstie & Murphy
Image Image

Henries

Post by Henries » 08 Dec 2012, 00:05

MMmmm it seems it is back to the drawing board in my search ...... hopefully I will find a good hobby breeder - and home reared pups
Thank you everyone for your responses.

Mica1971

Post by Mica1971 » 08 Dec 2012, 18:45

Theres a post about a cavapoo on here looking for a rehome x

'An idle mind is the devil's workshop.'
And the devil's name is Alzheimer's!

nettyneil

Post by nettyneil » 08 Dec 2012, 19:02

Hi, didn't go to rosedale myself as we already had found Pablo from a different breeder. But a colleague of mine bought a cockerpoo just a few months ago from Rosedale and they have had no complaints at all. They were happy with the breeders and the answers they got and the 'turn up anytime to visit attitude' to how well their puppy has settled in with them at home. I think you're just going to have to go and judge for yourself and trust your own gut instinct. Seems to me that for most breeders out there there is always both negative and positive reviews. It's a minefield out there I think. Good luck x

Tili

Post by Tili » 09 Dec 2012, 01:08

Hi, I got Alfie from Rosedales. With hine sight I wouldnt have got him from there. Looking back I didn't do enough research. After joining this site 4 years ago I have learnt so much about breeding and what to look for. I did rush into it.... BUT.... Alfie is the most perfect dog in EVERY way. He has a lovely temperament, not a nasty bone in his body. But looking back, I did feel she was a business and not in it for the loveand she does seem to have a fair few puppies available all the time!! Alfie is a lovely dog so I do feel very lucky, but I think she saw me coming. We paid £850 4 years ago. He is a miniature apricot labradoodle.

Good luck and this is a great site to get lots of advice and help.

Immi

Post by Immi » 09 Dec 2012, 10:39

I don't personally think there is anything wrong with breeders using kennels, providing they are clean, warm, comfortable and are given plenty of care and attention from humans. If the pups are happy and confident around new people they should adjust well to going indoors with an owner. It's worth going along to see the setup and dogs, and if you don't like the feel of it just walk away.
Gav & Becks.

Liz!!

Post by Liz!! » 09 Dec 2012, 11:16

BUT a dog that is bred from a bitch who has been bred back to back is more likely to have health problems - and of course breeding back to back is cruel and treating the dog like a commodity. Some bigger breeders send mums out to foster homes so the pups are brought up in a home still but they can still have a lot of pups available, which seems a beter arrangement...
Lola is a UK Assistance Dog, trained to alert me for low blood sugar by Medical Detection Dogs (http://www.medicaldetectiondogs.org.uk)