TELEPHONE WIRE

General discussion on all labradoodle-related matters - anything not otherwise covered by specific forums on the site.
Doodle Dee

TELEPHONE WIRE

Post by Doodle Dee » 14 Jan 2013, 08:08

This might be my last post for a while :cry:

Try what we may - she insists on bitin g through the telephone/broadband wire! :x

It is wear she stays in our hall (which is big enough for her) and we have tapped it down (it goes from the front door) but still she digs at it :evil:

Any ideas - do you reckon nail varnish or vinegar painted on it?

Hopefully she can't electrocute herself

This was done when we went to bed!!! So she wasn't alone, habit hasn't changed. :x :x :x

My husband (who never wanted a dog after my last one died) but I think secretly likes her) is going mad and I hope it doesn't spoil their relationship! :?:
Lulu & Dx

ImageImage

norton1989

Re: TELEPHONE WIRE

Post by norton1989 » 14 Jan 2013, 08:45

There is no chance of being electrocuted, if there was there would be an awful lot of dead or injured BT engineers about.

It is quite common for dogs to chew at the wire. Is it the master point in the house?

If it is the master the only 2 options maybe to have the socket moved to another room or perhaps put something [furniture] in front of the socket.

If you have another socket connected perhaps unplugging the telephone and putting it in the other socket until a time when you can trust your little darling.

Be very careful if you call out BT [if thats who you are with] as they charge an awful lot of money to fix damage such as this.

Andy.

Doodle Dee

Post by Doodle Dee » 14 Jan 2013, 08:56

That's what frightens me. It is the main socket from outside into the house so unable to move it (unless BT do it for us). Impossible to put furniture in front of it no room and it comes in at the stairs and goes up the skirting board.

I can see this will be a major problem with her. She must have really picked at it cos it was nailed down and painted over! Now she has a taste not sure how we can stop her.

Oh dear - an unhappy hubby -
Lulu & Dx

ImageImage

Markt3857

Post by Markt3857 » 14 Jan 2013, 10:11

Could you maybe put the wire in some mini trunking ? It works out fairly cheap from the diy stores. Not sure what you can do about the BT box if she's chewing the wires into that other than paying for BT to move it, we had a problem with this many years ago with a lurcher pup we had and we must have gone through about half a dozen wires !! She did grow out of it of course :lol:
Mark, Kim, Briar & Marcie (the Cockapoo!)

Liz!!

Post by Liz!! » 14 Jan 2013, 10:38

You can get minitrunking, and there is also some stuff you can get from B&Q that wraps around it, but not sure that dog teeth wouldn't get through.

I would definitely get it either sunk into the wall, put it under carpet or floor, or trunk it, and don't leave her in the hall until it's done! Or crate her.

Does she have any toys, a bone, a kong to chew instead?
Lola is a UK Assistance Dog, trained to alert me for low blood sugar by Medical Detection Dogs (http://www.medicaldetectiondogs.org.uk)

Immi

Post by Immi » 14 Jan 2013, 10:43

As I see it you have 4 options if you don't want to get BT in, but they would all involve boxing in the main socket to protect it. I also wouldn't use mini trunking as it's really easy for a dog to get into (Immi has managed to remove ours from the wall!)
1. Run the wire up the wall to the ceiling, and run it from there into the other rooms.
2. Run the cable through a length of pipe (we used to do this to protect wires from a house rabbit we used to have).
3. Drill a hole through the wall and run the wire straight into another room.
4. Try citronella spray on the wire.
Gav & Becks.

Doodle Dee

Post by Doodle Dee » 14 Jan 2013, 10:49

Thanks for that but she has never been crated so doubt that I can do that now. As much as I would like to!

she has more toys than pets at home! We also alternate them. Her kong lasts for about 10 mins.

Thanks everyone will keep it all in mind - we may need to give her the run of the house (and turn the alarm off) and maybe see what damage she can cause there :)
Lulu & Dx

ImageImage

Anne Wozniak

Post by Anne Wozniak » 14 Jan 2013, 11:31

some great ideas there..

we've used trunking on lots of the low-lying cables in the house -not because of Wilson - because of me & the hoover :lol:

joking aside, I'd really give it a go, you can get very narrow trunking and I doubt she could get her teeth to it, or failing that is it possible to re-route the cable under the flooring ?

perhaps she could be shut into a more doodle-proof room......if there is such a thing :lol:

Brodie_Dog

Post by Brodie_Dog » 14 Jan 2013, 12:16

Morning all.
Re the power in telephone cables:
Yes there is power in telephone cables, and you can get quite a bolt from it if you have hold of the wires (or are chewing the wires) at the wrong moment. I used to work on telephone switches at a head end in Surrey and believe me, a bolt from a telephone cable can hurt. I had my fair share of shocks.

There are different voltages on different wires in the cable. Without electricity, there is no voice signal in the cables and your phone wont work.

If you cut an internal telephone cable you will see a few wires of different colours.
When the phone is on the hook and not in use, there is no voltage in any cable.
When the phone is in use and you are talking to someone there is an active circuit that goes from your phone to the switch that carries 48 volts. That is carried on the blue wire.

If your phone is not in use and someone calls you, a ring current is sent out from your master socket over the orange wire to all the other sockets in the house, and that will vary between anything from 50 to 150 volts DC depending on your phone supplier.

If the dog bites through the cable while you are on the phone, the circuit will be broken, so it may get a little tiny 48 volt shock, but as the circuit is then broken the power is cut instantly.

But if the dog is chewing the end of the cable and someone rings you, believe me its gonna jump.
The voltage and current isnt enough to to any harm, but damn you know if it gets you...

The upside of that is the dog probably wont chew the cable a second time. :D

Favourite trick when I was an engineer was to get an apprentice to hold the orange ring circuit cable and tell them we are checking for ground faults with a meter. And then ring the number... :twisted: :twisted:
And it gets them every time because no one thinks there is voltage in a phone cable :twisted: :twisted:
Last edited by Brodie_Dog on 14 Jan 2013, 12:27, edited 3 times in total.

Brodie_Dog

Post by Brodie_Dog » 14 Jan 2013, 12:22

On a more helpful note, it may be worth changing the phones too.
With modern cordless phones, you dont need telephone cables around the house because the base units transfer the signal via radio frequency.

The phones I have in my house has a short length of cable from the socket to the main base unit in the front room which holds a cordless handset.
There doesnt need to be any other wires in the house at all.
We have a phone in the kitchen, one in the garage for when Im tinkering on the motorbikes, and one upstairs. Each of the phones has a base unit that just plugs into a normal mains power circuit and all the phone base units communicate with the main one via a high frequency encrypted radio signal.
You can add phones to the system at any time.

So you could have just the initial cable from the master socket to the main base unit in mini trunking, and do away with the rest of the telephone wires in the house.

Doodle Dee

Post by Doodle Dee » 14 Jan 2013, 12:32

wow thanks :D

That sorts out some questions! The problem is the main telephone box that comes in from outside is just where she likes to look out of the window :roll:

For the moment we are going to try and get some trunking for the wires until we sort it out and let her have the run of the house! Goodness knows what she will get up to.

Thanks a lot x
Lulu & Dx

ImageImage

Jay128

Post by Jay128 » 14 Jan 2013, 13:17

If she chewing it try rubbing a chilli over it she may get the message but make sure she has access to water.
ImageImage

Bid

Post by Bid » 14 Jan 2013, 13:56

I am a big fan of citronella oil. You can get it from the chemist (but not Boots as they have stopped selling it). Rub it on anything you don't want them to chew - they loathe the taste and smell. I used it on all the wood in our lounge before Beamish came home - one lick and he never touched the furniture again!
www.dogtrekker.co.uk
Beauty without vanity, strength without insolence, courage without ferocity, and all the virtues of man without his vices - Byron

Brodie_Dog

Post by Brodie_Dog » 14 Jan 2013, 14:00

Citronella is like a beacon for Brodie.
The wooden step she was chewing that we put it on was attacked with more vigour, and she lisked it off EVERYthing that we put it on.

ClareV

Post by ClareV » 14 Jan 2013, 15:33

Charlie was less bored when we gave him the run of the house, and has not done any damage since. He was about a year old when we did this, so had just spent six months trying to eat the kitchen. Oil of cloves worked quite well, or a mixture to stop horses crib biting (they sort of suck wood, grit their teeth and belch, apparently it is addictive. Must tell my brother he is not a horse!)

I do think with a nasty taste or smell she will stop doing it at some stage. Maybe pepper, as she will sneeze and not like it?

Good luck!