Names of your dog

General discussion on all labradoodle-related matters - anything not otherwise covered by specific forums on the site.
Doodle Dee

Names of your dog

Post by Doodle Dee » 07 Feb 2013, 00:23

On reading the stories re older doodles, young doodles and doodles soon to be had - I was wondering how did you choose their names (even those that havent brought their babe home yet). I had my dogs name before I had my dog. She would be named after my beloved dad who died nearly three years ago - Louis. He would have found it vry funny - we have that sense of humour. It was just in a discussion I was having with my daughter, sort of when will you get another dog and we can call it Lulu after dad!!!!! I bought my pup on a gut reaction when I was very down - the ad was in the right place at the right time and I did everything that youre not supposed to do on buying a dog! So saying I have had a dog all my life so I wasnt green and I have never regretted getting my doodle - even though we need a new bannister and window sill and the house now needs painting to get paw marks off the walls! So back to the question - where did your dpg's name come from :D
Lulu & Dx

ImageImage

Bid

Re: Names of your dog

Post by Bid » 07 Feb 2013, 00:30

I don't know where Daisy came from :? Poppy was her breeders idea, so the only name we really thought long and hard about was Beamish - we had a huge long list of girls names, but when the litter arrived they were all boys, but irresistable so we had one anyway :lol: . We were in the village pub mulling over names like Scrumpy, Murphy, Guinness etc, and I was telling Pete all about Stout amd he suddenly came up with Beamish! We got all the regulars calling it and decided it would be a good name, and we don't know another Beamish so it is all his! (My BIL calls him Blemish :( )
www.dogtrekker.co.uk
Beauty without vanity, strength without insolence, courage without ferocity, and all the virtues of man without his vices - Byron

Maggie111

Post by Maggie111 » 07 Feb 2013, 00:37

We chose Boo's name because I loved Radley handbags - but because Radley is a dog so we thought of Boo Radley :D

I wanted Barney to have another B name, but we couldn't decide - it was the breeder who also suggested Barney!! I don't know why but I think of it as being a silly name, so it suits him quite well!

LouisaSavage

Post by LouisaSavage » 07 Feb 2013, 00:45

Our Izzy was a Daisy at the breeders, her mum was a Poppy. Flowers appear to be very in over the last few years!

We spent hours saying random names once we'd met our puppy. Some were Spanish, some were related to things we like, others just names we thought wouldn't be too bad to shout across a park. We would send group texts to the rest of the family with suggestions, then all think we had found the perfect name... Until one day my Dad suggested Izzy and it just clicked into place :)

xx
ImageImage

Liz!!

Post by Liz!! » 07 Feb 2013, 00:50

Well, we do have a connection then, Maggie, our son is called Jem!

We went through HUNDREDS of names for Lola - I love names, am really interested in them, have about 7 name dictionaries... got all my friends and people on Facebook and other fora to suggest names...

We wanted something unusual. She had kinky hair, and I jokingly suggested 'Kinks' which OH said NO!! to, but then came up with Lola from the Kinks song.

BUT - it is no longer unusual - every other flippin' dog (and quite a few cats) are now called Lola! I wish I'd called her Myrtle or Mabel, my other choices.
Lola is a UK Assistance Dog, trained to alert me for low blood sugar by Medical Detection Dogs (http://www.medicaldetectiondogs.org.uk)

jsm348

Post by jsm348 » 07 Feb 2013, 07:50

Cassie's litter were named after nuts and as she was cashew we wanted something more girlie but to go with it .. So she became cassie-cashew ..... Although is called Dyson by my mum, and often thinks her name is NO !!!

george-tambo

Post by george-tambo » 07 Feb 2013, 08:06

My partner named our dog George after the patron saint of England so he is George tambo which is the name the breeder gave him. If we got a girl she would have been called darcy after my son and daughter Daniel and Casey, so if we decide to get another dog be it boy or girl that's what it will be called

Sw2807

Post by Sw2807 » 07 Feb 2013, 08:22

Bowmore is named after my partner's favourite whiskey! Also his favourite place - a little town on Islay !!

Noglet

Post by Noglet » 07 Feb 2013, 09:29

Ollie was named after Oliver Cromwell - not that we're huge fans of his, but one of the Great Britons programmes had been on the night before we collected him, so the name popped into our heads when we were trying to decide what to call him.

We did flirt with some Welsh names for Stan, but in the end Laurel and Hardy won and as we already had Ollie he simply had to be Stan.

With George, we were planning on calling him something else, maybe Mungo, or Claude. But, a friend of ours took one look at him and told us that we couldn't because he looked like a George, and it stuck!

Anne Wozniak

Post by Anne Wozniak » 07 Feb 2013, 09:30

we decided to have a doodle the year of our silver wedding..... we met in a pub called The Wilsons..... so Wilson it was :D

dexter14

Post by dexter14 » 07 Feb 2013, 10:20

I had lost my old yorkie two weeks before i got dexter ,he was name chester ,so one night it just came to me ,then i got a long list of names which i liked a a few ,but my daugther said stick with the first name that came too you and cause it was similer to chester i stayed with that.
]Image

Immi

Post by Immi » 07 Feb 2013, 11:08

If the puppy we decided upon was a boy we would have called him Darwin after my favorite historical figure/hero. But a girl puppy would be given the name we would have called our son if he'd been a girl - Imogen - shortened to Immi. Immi is our second child replacement so it kinda made sense! :D
Gav & Becks.

Leah

Post by Leah » 07 Feb 2013, 11:18

Monty was named by my eldest son. Middle son wanted Alfie and youngest wanted to call the puppy Batman...!
The eldest bribed the other two with football cards so Monty was named.
I'm glad we didn't go with Alfie as every other dog we meet seems to have that name and I would've felt a bit silly yelling "Batman, come" at the park.
Think I'll get to choose our next dog's name and will go for something more unusual.

Leah

Jaybz

Post by Jaybz » 07 Feb 2013, 11:23

Rosie was named after my mother, Rosetta (she didn't take too kindly at first to being named after a female dog!).

Our next dog has yet to be named, but because we have links to Italy, we're thinking possibly an Italian name-- Bella (pretty), or even Zitta (which means 'be quiet!').

julieju

Post by julieju » 07 Feb 2013, 11:24

Aero is called Aero because we give in to our children too easily! :lol:
Julie and Aero xx