phone call

General discussion on all labradoodle-related matters - anything not otherwise covered by specific forums on the site.
dexter14

phone call

Post by dexter14 » 13 Feb 2013, 10:22

I had phone call last nite ,my friend told me that one of her friends cat age 18 lived next door to a pair of nice bull terriers ,but as the man let the dog out for a wee he got hold of the neibours cat ripped it a part,what a sad end to a old cat ,my friends was angry and againt dogs ,but i said myself who knows what my dog would do if a strange cat came on my garden ,i wouldnt like to think he would do this but never know .I also have a cat and live next door to a bull terror and boedoe and i think if my cat got over there fence she would also be ripped apart ,i just hope she never does she tends to jump over the other sides garden they have no animals ,dexter always chases her over ,i know my little yorkie who lived with cats he would have done it ,he once ripped a hegog apart ,sorry about spellings .
]Image

Maggie111

Re: phone call

Post by Maggie111 » 13 Feb 2013, 10:42

I can't imagine how distraught I'd be for my cat to be savaged by a dog :cry:

As Barney lives with a cat I can't imagine him doing it. To be honest I can't see him savaging anything, he even plays with spiders rather thank kills them dead... I hope not anyway - I'd never look at him the same way again of he did that, even though I know it's in his nature. :(

Bid

Post by Bid » 13 Feb 2013, 11:00

:( :( Poor woman who's cat it was.

You can never tell what your dog will do imo. My sister has a sweet little Bichon Frise - a lovely friendly dog brought up with 2 border collies, 2 cats, and numerous rabbits. She escaped and killed a neighbours chicken - you can't blame her as she was just doing what her instincts told her to do. In that case it was the owners responsibility to keep the dog in her garden (as my sister readily admits), but cats are slightly different as they go where they please :| . I suppose at 18 the cat couldn't jump as high or as quickly as a younger cat :(
www.dogtrekker.co.uk
Beauty without vanity, strength without insolence, courage without ferocity, and all the virtues of man without his vices - Byron

shellsie

Post by shellsie » 13 Feb 2013, 12:05

U cannot tell what a dog will do but imo bull terriors have the potential to kill children too and I do think too many irresponsible people have dogs like this. I would be heartbroken if this happened to my cat, it's just awful.

pixie's mum

Post by pixie's mum » 13 Feb 2013, 13:00

my beautiful and gentle girl pixie chased and killed a rabbit - I was mortified but she was off lead in a forest and there was nothing I could do.
Thankfully she killed it with one bite but I was still stunned by it.
She is still my baby but instinct is very strong and not too far below the surface!!

Max my rhodesian Ridgeback ( a true hunting dog) found an injured rabbit and cried and cried till I walked over and he just gently licked its face and ears !!
Kathy
ImageImage
ImageImage

Leah

Post by Leah » 13 Feb 2013, 15:27

How sad, what a terrible way to lose an old pet. I suppose that's the problem with cats - they go wherever they want and it's not always the safest of places...

Leah

Clairejen

Post by Clairejen » 13 Feb 2013, 16:00

Terribly sad, but cats will go into other people's gardens. I know some people keep them indoors all the time, and I suppose you could net over your own garden to keep them in if you were concerned. I'm no cat lover personally, I hate the way they constantly kill birds and small mammals and foul other people's gardens, but it's still a nasty end for an old animal.
Claire
slave of Leon & Sally
Image Image

Immi

Post by Immi » 13 Feb 2013, 16:15

Oh heck, what an awful ending for such an old cat! :( I would be devastated if that happened to any of our cats (but it won't as they are all house cats). All dogs have the potential to hunt and kill, it's simply a part of their genetic inheritance. When we lived on farmland we used to have the most gentle rough collie, she was so careful and considerate, but she would regularly kill rabbits and hares and bring them to us as gifts. She would swiftly break their necks, she didn't even break the skin, just a swift shake. She wouldn't eat them unless we skinned and butchered them for her. I have no doubt that if Immi got hold of a feathered fiend that taunt her so, she would kill it and probably eat it. She's wolfed down mice and shrews that have been unlucky enough to be found by her! :|
Gav & Becks.

bedlingtondoodle

Post by bedlingtondoodle » 13 Feb 2013, 22:39

shellsie wrote:U cannot tell what a dog will do but imo bull terriors have the potential to kill children too and I do think too many irresponsible people have dogs like this. I would be heartbroken if this happened to my cat, it's just awful.
:roll:

seriously misguided
Lewie
Benson

shellsie

Post by shellsie » 14 Feb 2013, 01:28

I'm not misguided, they have and can kill children. I'm not saying everyone of that breed has but there certainly have been children killed by this breed. How is this misguided?? It's a fact. Yes every dog can kill cats, rabbits etc, but not every breed can do that to humans.

Didi38

Post by Didi38 » 14 Feb 2013, 18:34

shellsie wrote:I'm not misguided, they have and can kill children. I'm not saying everyone of that breed has but there certainly have been children killed by this breed. How is this misguided?? It's a fact. Yes every dog can kill cats, rabbits etc, but not every breed can do that to humans.

But can't any dog kill children or bite humans?

Maggie111

Post by Maggie111 » 14 Feb 2013, 18:50

Didi38 wrote:
shellsie wrote:I'm not misguided, they have and can kill children. I'm not saying everyone of that breed has but there certainly have been children killed by this breed. How is this misguided?? It's a fact. Yes every dog can kill cats, rabbits etc, but not every breed can do that to humans.

But can't any dog kill children or bite humans?
Oh yes.

I've found a couple of news articles on a labrador and a poodle who have attacked children. And a website reporting a labradoodle who attacked a child.

And I'm also posting a list of USA fatalities caused by dogs - there are a high number of "pit bull types" in there for sure, but there are labradors, daschunds, schnauzers etc in there also.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... rbour.html

http://www.wboc.com/global/story.asp?S=10769319

http://www.doodlerescuecollective.com/g ... e=activity

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_fa ... ted_States

bedlingtondoodle

Post by bedlingtondoodle » 14 Feb 2013, 22:09

Again :roll:

are you sure.
Lewie
Benson

shellsie

Post by shellsie » 20 Feb 2013, 11:16

well I find it highly unlikely that a Chichuahua or Yorkie could kill a child. Bite yes, kill no. So I disagree that all dogs are strong enough to kill a child. It may be different in your area, but I live in one of the most deprived areas of the country and many people here do buy these dogs with the sole intentions of training them to be aggressive to either 'look hard' or fight other dogs.

I'm not against the breed, it's some irresponsible owners that I'm against. Yes any breed of dog can be dangerous, but not all can cause fatalities in humans.

I have friends with bull terriors and they can be the softest dogs around, just they can be one of the most vicious in the wrong hands unfortunately. Our pounds (here) are full of these dogs and sadly most end up being PTS as they are not suitable to be re-homed due to idiot people training them to be agrressive. It's very sad but it is true.

shellsie

Post by shellsie » 20 Feb 2013, 11:16

well I find it highly unlikely that a Chichuahua or Yorkie could kill a child. Bite yes, kill no. So I disagree that all dogs are strong enough to kill a child. It may be different in your area, but I live in one of the most deprived areas of the country and many people here do buy these dogs with the sole intentions of training them to be aggressive to either 'look hard' or fight other dogs.

I'm not against the breed, it's some irresponsible owners that I'm against. Yes any breed of dog can be dangerous, but not all can cause fatalities in humans.

I have friends with bull terriors and they can be the softest dogs around, just they can be one of the most vicious in the wrong hands unfortunately. Our pounds (here) are full of these dogs and sadly most end up being PTS as they are not suitable to be re-homed due to idiot people training them to be agrressive. It's very sad but it is true.