Let's have the vaccination debate!

General discussion on all labradoodle-related matters - anything not otherwise covered by specific forums on the site.
Bid

Let's have the vaccination debate!

Post by Bid » 15 Mar 2013, 19:25

To vaccinate or not - that is the question.

I do at the moment, because Poppy & Beamish take part in activities where it is required, and I would always vaccinate puppies. I am considering not re-vaccinating Daisy though. The trouble is, could I ever forgive myself if she caught something she could be vaccinated against and was seriously ill as a result. Equally, what if she was seriously ill because I had her over-vaccinated :?

I am particularly concerned about vaccinating Daisy because of her continuous ear infections, the other little "niggles" she has - mild auto-immune problem with her eye, sore nose, Stud-tail, lip fold pyoderma and so on :( . THis site explains my concerns better than I can .... http://www.canine-health-concern.org.uk ... ation.html - not just that page but all the vaccination pages.

If I don't vaccinate her I will get titre tests done to check that she has immunity, but I realise the tests only say she has immunity on the day of the test (and I can imagine the hassle I will get when I talk to the vet about it :roll: ).

So - where do you stand? Which poses the greater risk in your view - vaccinating, or not vaccinating?
www.dogtrekker.co.uk
Beauty without vanity, strength without insolence, courage without ferocity, and all the virtues of man without his vices - Byron

iwantadog

Re: Let's have the vaccination debate!

Post by iwantadog » 15 Mar 2013, 19:38

I'm very pro-vaccinating. Murphy is very much one of the family and I wouldn't dream of not vaccinating my kids, so I feel the same about him, I am convinced the pros outweigh the cons.

ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Bid

Post by Bid » 15 Mar 2013, 19:49

iwantadog wrote:I'm very pro-vaccinating. Murphy is very much one of the family and I wouldn't dream of not vaccinating my kids, so I feel the same about him, I am convinced the pros outweigh the cons.
I agree with you there Wendy and I would always get a puppy vaccinated once the immunity from the mother has run out, but the question is - would you get your kids boostered every year if you could prove that they had immunity without it?

I thought of you actually, when I was reading up on it, because one of the things I read was that the onset of epilepsy has been linked to vaccinations :| - things like that make me wonder which way to go :?
www.dogtrekker.co.uk
Beauty without vanity, strength without insolence, courage without ferocity, and all the virtues of man without his vices - Byron

mistydog

Post by mistydog » 15 Mar 2013, 19:58

Luckily when my children were small (now very much grown and old) there were not too many vaccinations so I didn't have the worry. I vaccinate for the first 2/3 years. Freddie will be 5 next month (gosh doesn't time fly) and hasn't been done for about 2/3 years. Horses were the same, the two girls are done because to take them places they have to be but my old boy hadn't been done for 20 years! He was sent to the forever pasture two weeks ago at 34.

Rowan11

Post by Rowan11 » 15 Mar 2013, 20:17

i usually do the same as mistydog but ive bought a package for luna that includes vaccines for life.
but when i did research on whether i should vaccinate i started to worry that i wasnt doing the right thing !!! i think i read that doing it every other year would be better ..... but am still confused ! :lol:
Dawn & Luna x

iwantadog

Post by iwantadog » 15 Mar 2013, 20:18

Didn't want to know that Bid!!! I've not heard that epilepsy can be linked to vaccinations.

Even knowing that I will still continue to get him vaccinated as his epilepsy can be controlled, but some of the diseases he can be vaccinated against could kill him if he was not vaccinated and he is too precious to risk that.

ImageImageImageImageImageImage

techiebabe

Post by techiebabe » 15 Mar 2013, 20:18

Ooh, tricky topic!

When I got my greyhound he was 4 years old and had been vaccinated up to date. I decided not to bother with boosters, because a vet advised me that he should have built up immunity at that point and that the jabs last a lot longer than a year but nobody will fund research into how long they DO last, because it would stop people paying for a new jab every year.

So when I took out insurance for my dog, I chose a company that specified that did not insist he was jabbed up to date.

Last year my insurance rules changed to say they would not pay out if the dog was not vaccinated. So I had my dog titre tested at the age of 12. I can't remember the exact results but the scores were something like definite immunity to parvo and reasonably good scores for other diseases. This makes me think I was right not to subject him to jabs every year.

But when we eventually get a puppy we will of COURSE get him vaccinated. I think it's absolutely critical to get dogs vaccinated for the first few years of their life, to help them build up immunity. This overrides any uncertainty I might have about the other ingredients in a vaccine, etc.

Once they are 3 or 4 then I'm not sure. I guess it depends on whether I can find an insurer who doesn't insist upon it. Can anyone recommend a suitable insurer?

Maggie111

Post by Maggie111 » 15 Mar 2013, 20:20

I vaguely recall a conversation I had with Barney's Vet when I was asking him about vaccinations. He was the one who advised us to wait at least a year before we neutered him so I do trust his opinion.

I'm sure he said that most vaccinations last for a few years, and that after a certain age (I forget, was it like, 8?) you shouldn't need to vaccinate them at all.

I don't know what problems the illness' would cause. I guess I would look into how quickly the infection spreads. As you are a diligent owner, happy to pay Vet fees - would your dog be fine if he got poorly and you caught it in 12 hours?

(I'll probably continue to vaccinate Barney every year, purely because I don't have a reason not to. I don't feel so lax about children't vaccinations. I will even go private to get this baby vaccinated against things that aren't available on the NHS :) )

Adam Lindley

Post by Adam Lindley » 15 Mar 2013, 20:20

it's illegal to sell a puppy in NSW that isn't vaccinated and microchipped, and most follow through with the puppy boosters. After that, things are slowly changing to vaccinating every 3 years.

Vets not happy, pushing the point that dogs should see the vet at least annually, and vaccinations are a good way to ensure this but their suppliers have told them that the vaccine will cover that period.

Lexi-dood

Post by Lexi-dood » 15 Mar 2013, 20:44

Don't know, don't know, don't know...... I think the vets make a huge amount of money with vaccinations so they would encourage them to be done each year.

We don't get our children done for MMR etc every year do we? That's because it's too espensive for the government, so why do we get our dogs done?

The trouble is, if you miss your booster injection you have to start all over again and have 2 injections, which can't be good for your dog.

I have the same problem with rabies injections - the injections say they are valid for 3 years but I have to get them done every year for the passport regulations - which can't be good for the immune system of any dog :(

I think it's a win-win for the vets. :( :evil:

Sarah Bevan

Post by Sarah Bevan » 15 Mar 2013, 21:24

It's the same debate parents have with the MMR.

German Measles (and TB) is back on the increase because a proportion of parents have decided not to vaccinate.

We don't have an NHS for dogs. If we choose to have a dog it is our responsibility to accept the vet recommendations and pay the bill.
If we all stopped vaccinating the nasty dog diseases will be on the increase too.

In my opinion the benefits of vaccination far outweigh the risks. We have a duty to do it, Human or canine.
Sarah and Jessie

ClareV

Post by ClareV » 15 Mar 2013, 21:36

My cat has a tumour between his shoulder blades which looks like a knobbly golf ball. I wonder whether this is in part due to his annual vaccinations as this is at the jab site. He is 18 and has not been in a cattery for 14 yrs so I wish I had not continued with the jabs. Thought I was doing the best for him though... As for Charlie, I have not considered discontinuing vaccinations. Presumed he would need them if he ever needs to go into kennels. Time I did some research!

redheadreddog

Post by redheadreddog » 15 Mar 2013, 21:36

Hi to all and bid im so glad you have brought this up as its somthing i have been talking about a lot of late and i will explain why,
we had an email awhile back from our grommer saying she would not grom my boy goerge or ruby this year unless i produced a vet note proving they had been done and i said well im sorry i only do my dogs for three years and then i have a blood test done to see if they need a bosster ,i have always done this and thought i was alone on this but i have since found out that lots of people do it as well ,my resaon are that you dont your children every year of there life and as long as they get the vacs as a puppy they should be ok,and to top it all the reason i have now found out why she wont groom my dogs is she her self lost a puppy at christmas to parvo but the reason was that the mother of the puppy had so much of the vaccsen in her body when they gave the puppy its jab it over dosed on the vacs so it proffs a point when is enough enough,i know like all i do not wish any dog to get ill but we can i feel over do the vacs and create a problem for later in life my thought not every ones i know but it needs to be talked about.
Redheadreddog heather

The Turners

Post by The Turners » 15 Mar 2013, 21:45

It's a difficult one, we vaccinate every year, but I do think it's just money in pockets of vets. :evil:
I do think that vaccinating as puppy is vital and that it does last for more than a year.
But our vet insists all dogs are done every year, & you get a stern lecture if you disagree. :roll:
I think our vets should be more like those Adam mentioned in NSW, every 3 years.
Nicky
Nicky Chris & Wurly
Image Image

Pauline

Post by Pauline » 15 Mar 2013, 21:53

I do vaccinate my boys but insist that the vet only give the minimum of what they need. Vets want to do it every year but you can do it up to 15 months interval to keep the immunity but then they suggest the would have to do the whole course again. So I wait for the 15th months interval.

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage