Let's have the vaccination debate!

General discussion on all labradoodle-related matters - anything not otherwise covered by specific forums on the site.
Glenda

Re: Let's have the vaccination debate!

Post by Glenda » 15 Mar 2013, 22:29

Oh dear... I thought long and hard about this last year and decided to vaccinate to be on the 'safe'
side - but now I've just read the link you posted Bid and I'm wondering what on earth I've done!

I'm really thinking of Dooley and his 'funny turns'?

He's due his booster at the end of this month... :?
ImageImage

ImageImage

nicky16

Post by nicky16 » 15 Mar 2013, 22:30

AS I am getting a puppy will do her jabs at 8wks then what ever the vet tells me after that

We have cats and they have nt been due for the last 2 yrs and they have been fine but plan to as soon as we can and and other cats got done every other yr and where ok , but don;t know if cats are different to dogs

Nicky Mummy to Lexie

Bid

Post by Bid » 15 Mar 2013, 22:47

The yearly/3-yearly thing is sometimes done without you knowing! My vets do a cycle where they get lepto every year, and parvo/distemper every 3 years. I think a lot of vets do this automatically. If you want to know what your dog has had, you can look up what it says on the card using this site ... http://www.vmd.defra.gov.uk/pdf/Vaccine ... sedDog.pdf
www.dogtrekker.co.uk
Beauty without vanity, strength without insolence, courage without ferocity, and all the virtues of man without his vices - Byron

techiebabe

Post by techiebabe » 15 Mar 2013, 23:51

ClareV wrote:My cat has a tumour between his shoulder blades which looks like a knobbly golf ball. I wonder whether this is in part due to his annual vaccinations as this is at the jab site. He is 18
Clare, I am very sorry that your cat has a tumour. But I dont think we can ever really know what causes them. My cat was a housecat, he died age 10 from cancer in both his kidneys. You are so lucky to have your cat to 18 years and while I know it is NEVER enough, however long our companions stay with us, it doesnt mean that jabs or any one thing was to blame, no matter how much we want an answer.

I hope you will see from my earlier post that I am very open minded, indeed I would come down on the side of not vaccinating if you can be sure it isnt needed, but I dont believe we can ever be certain what caused the tumours our beloved companions come to have.

I think on a topic like this we just have to make our own decisions as best we can.

(Is there a 'peace' smiley?)

Leah

Post by Leah » 16 Mar 2013, 12:18

I have actually just been thinking about this very topic having recieved the "annual check and booster" card from the vet last week.
I am convinced it's yet another money-making scheme from the vet which is, after all, a business.
Monty has been vaccinated to date but I'm considering not having the annual booster as I'm not sure it's really necessary. As for the "check", I feel I'm sensible enough to know if he has any problems and to take action accordingly. The annoying thing is that when you're not an expert is that you have to trust people who are and hope they truly are putting the health of your dog before their wallets!
Very hard decision as I too would feel dreadful if my precious dog got ill because I made the wrong choice...

Leah

jackieholmes19

Post by jackieholmes19 » 16 Mar 2013, 13:21

My vets do a 'vaccine for life' scheme, where you pay £89 and then you never have to pay again. You do have to have the dog/cat inured and chipped though.
Jackie & Bella
Xxx

Pshopper

Post by Pshopper » 16 Mar 2013, 13:39

It is an interesting debate and does need more openness to fully understand the pro's and con's.
The below article is something that I came across a while ago and fortunately had bookmarked it. I would be interested as to everyone's opinion:

Before I bought my puppies, the breeder gave them their first shots/vaccinations to prevent parvo etc.; I have read so much about the dangers of annual shots/vaccinations that I opted out many years ago. I have had sixteen dogs that have always mixed very freely with other dogs and they have never had injections/shots. Instead I use homeopathic nosodes every month. It’s like giving them one twelfth of the doze that they are given annually by the vet. Homeopathy is cheap and its kind and free from nasty chemicals.

At the outset there is a loading dose, if you decide to opt for homeopathy ask the supplier to give you full instructions on how to administer homeopathic remedies AND the instructions on the loading dose for the preparations that you order. I order mine from Ainsworths in London Telephone 0207 935 5330 or from Helios 01892 537254. If you are outside of the UK there will be a different prefix. I have checked and both of these companies deliver worldwide for an additional delivery cost. You will be able to order a remedy to prevent Parvo etc., plus another to prevent worms. These remedies cost about £24 (that’s about £12 for each remedy) plus additional postage if you are outside the U.K. they will last for years, less if you have several dogs to treat. Order SOFT tablets, they are tasteless and soft tablets are difficult to spit out. I think that you should phone Ainsworths in preference to the other company and ask to speak to a homeopath that specializes in dogs or email them its http://www.ainsworths.com
Check the details on their Website as the nozodes that I use may not cover heartworm as it is very rare in the UK.
PREVENTING FLEAS.
There are lots of treatments for killing and preventing fleas, they are full of nasty chemicals and they are expensive. I make up a solution for my dogs which prevents fleas, although it is also said to kill fleas I have no experience of this because my dogs have never had fleas.

At the outset it may be expensive to buy the ingredients, however they will last for years. Use a few drops of Citricidal and essential oils of Citronella, Tea Tree and Lavender. Add this to half a pint of vinegar and sponge a small amount onto your dog’s coat. I use this every week.

You may have problems finding Citricidal, however the other ingredients can be purchased at a health shop.

Bid

Post by Bid » 16 Mar 2013, 18:13

Interesting - I have wondered abut Nosodes, and I know there are views both for and against them.

I found this site that explains a bit more about them .... http://www.grandmalovesthedog.com/homeo ... sodes.html,

and this one is not so enthusiastic ... http://www.caberfeidh.com/Nosodes.htm

Definitely something else interesting to add to the debate - thanks Pshopper :D
www.dogtrekker.co.uk
Beauty without vanity, strength without insolence, courage without ferocity, and all the virtues of man without his vices - Byron

Madeleine

Post by Madeleine » 17 Mar 2013, 09:29

This is very interesting and confusing, I've never really thought about the negative side of vaccination before, suppose I've trusted vets to know best.
The trouble is you can't 'undo' a vaccination to see if its different without it.
I must admit to not using 'stronghold' throughout the winter as worry about the effect of too many chemicals being used unnecessarily.
As far as vaccination is concerned I'm at the mercy of the vet knowing best.
, it would be interesting to know why research hasn't been done.
ImageImage

purplepatch

Post by purplepatch » 17 Mar 2013, 11:20

Bid,
You must be a mind reader. I have been having this going in my head for a few weeks as Carter is almost ready for his first boosters. I plan to do some reading up and talk with the trainers and owners at school just to get an idea what people think along with all the guys and girls on the forum. To me it's not a money issue, it's I am doing the right thing for my dog? Many of us are in a catch 22 situation, where some places you go, including kennels for holidays if used, won't take your dog if they are not up to date. It's another one of those topics that divides opinion and we all just need to do the best for us and our dogs.
Sarah and Carter

Maggie111

Post by Maggie111 » 17 Mar 2013, 11:46

purplepatch wrote:Bid,
You must be a mind reader. I have been having this going in my head for a few weeks as Carter is almost ready for his first boosters. I plan to do some reading up and talk with the trainers and owners at school just to get an idea what people think along with all the guys and girls on the forum. To me it's not a money issue, it's I am doing the right thing for my dog? Many of us are in a catch 22 situation, where some places you go, including kennels for holidays if used, won't take your dog if they are not up to date. It's another one of those topics that divides opinion and we all just need to do the best for us and our dogs.
Sarah and Carter
Without any science whatsoever - with Barney I certainly want him vaccinated more than just the first year with all the growing etc he has done. I'd like to give him a firmer standing in his immunity so I'm definitely doing it this year. And probably the next few years too - but almost certainly this one at a year.

Ashgarth

Post by Ashgarth » 17 Mar 2013, 12:04

I will be honest being a first time dog owner I'd never heard of this or read about it, having read all the links on here it is quite worrying but as someone else has already said "the dog becomes a big part of the family and I would never not give my child a vaccination so the same rule applies for the dog"

A friend of mind had a dog that contracted parvo and died, it wasn't nice at all and he was devastated. Something I would hate to go through.

Doodle Dee

Post by Doodle Dee » 17 Mar 2013, 12:27

I agree - surely the odds are better on a vaccinated dog. I remember when I got Lulu home and a couple of days later she was so sick and the other end. I took her to the vet and he was worried that she had the parvo (well it was just in case) so she had antibiotics (she hadn't had the full course of vacs yet). She was fine but it was so frightening and I was so worried.

When my kids were little it was the time with a big whooping cough debate - whether to vaccinate or not (cos of side effects). My sister had been hospitalised with whooping cough. Anyway I decided to let them have the vaccinations and one of them promptly got whooping cough (although she wasnt actually "diagnosed" but that's another story). She wasn't that bad - just walked around with a bucket in case but if she hadn't have the vaccination how much worse may it have been and we were able to see that it was whooping cough, what can a puppy do against an preventative illness!

Wow - I didn't realise that was my view until I typed this!!! :D
Lulu & Dx

ImageImage

Bid

Post by Bid » 17 Mar 2013, 13:25

I agree - I wouldn't not vaccinate a puppy and the first years booster, but Daisy has had regular vacs every year, and I am not proposing putting her at risk from parvo as I would get her level of immunity tested.

The question I am considering is, if a dog already has immunity, are we putting it's health/life at additional risk by continuing to vaccinate? Unfortunately it is not something I feel that vets are going to discuss with an open mind, so just doing what the vet says isn't the answer for me.
www.dogtrekker.co.uk

Nicky

Post by Nicky » 17 Mar 2013, 18:27

Its a catch 22, personally I do vaccinate Dexter especially for parvo as I wouldnt forgive myself if he got it and died.

On the other hand I have read they can be bad for dogs and then you worry you are slowly doing them damage in the long run :roll:

Like us you would think they would have immunity for years rather than have frequent boosters.