Let's have the vaccination debate!

General discussion on all labradoodle-related matters - anything not otherwise covered by specific forums on the site.
Lexi-dood

Re: Let's have the vaccination debate!

Post by Lexi-dood » 17 Mar 2013, 21:23

I'm not anti vaccination, as I believe it's important a puppy has the injections and their first booster at 1 year. What I am anti is being forced to give them boosters every year, and if you miss it by a couple of months, then made to have 2 injections.

If you use kennels then you have no choice but to give them yearly boosters for their whole life. :( It's a pity kennels don't accept the results of immunity tests instead? :(

Brodie_Dog

Post by Brodie_Dog » 18 Mar 2013, 17:00

Ive seen a dog die from Parvo, and its not nice.
So I have had Brodie vaccinated since she was a puppy.

As for the question as to whether to continue vaccinations once the dog is four or five years old, and this question from Lexi
Lexi-dood wrote:It's a pity kennels don't accept the results of immunity tests instead? :(
As I understand it, once you dag has full immunity from previous jabs, its got less to do with whether or not your dog now has natural immunity and more to do with whether or not your dog can be a carrier of some specific diseases.
A fully immune dog can still carry and pass some of these diseases on to other dogs.
So kennels etc insisting on fully up to date jabs is all about minimising risk of passing these diseases on.

There is a small health risk with immunisation jabs, just as there is in humans, but there is considerably less risk with the jabs than without them.
I guess thats the bottom line.

Bid

Post by Bid » 18 Mar 2013, 18:42

Brodie_Dog wrote: there is considerably less risk with the jabs than without them.
but are we sure of that?
www.dogtrekker.co.uk
Beauty without vanity, strength without insolence, courage without ferocity, and all the virtues of man without his vices - Byron

Pshopper

Post by Pshopper » 18 Mar 2013, 19:45

What about titre testing? This a sample of blood taken and examined by pathologists to determine if the antibodies in the dog’s system are at an appropriate level to maintain protection. The test is taken yearly instead of vaccination
It's an optional alternative to actual vaccination but keep in mind that these tests cost more than vaccination and that kennel cough vaccine will also need to be administered.
If you are going to be responsible about this and choose not to vaccinate each year and titre test instead, then ensure kennel cough vaccine is part of your annual check up.
Some vet practices are open to this and some not so. You will need to speak to your vet about it, not the receptionist.

Bid

Post by Bid » 18 Mar 2013, 19:56

I discussed it with my vet, and they said that they need to buy in the kits in packs of 10, and unless I can get 10 people who want to do the test I would have to pay for the lot, which makes if very expensive to test.

Of course the other thing is it only proves they have immunity at the time of the test - it can't give you any idea of how long they will have the immunity for :|
www.dogtrekker.co.uk
Beauty without vanity, strength without insolence, courage without ferocity, and all the virtues of man without his vices - Byron

Pshopper

Post by Pshopper » 18 Mar 2013, 21:16

I would call around a couple of other practices just out of interest, and see what they charge.

I also found this article very helpful and informative: http://drjeandoddspethealthresource.tum ... ng-animals

No easy one fits all answer to this I'm afraid and the more you know, the more of a dilemma it becomes. A little bit like Hrt !

techiebabe

Post by techiebabe » 19 Mar 2013, 00:35

Bid... I was just thinking 'have to pay for a ten pack of tests? really?' and remembered my vet saying they didnt often do titre testing (they had to look it up when I requested it)... but then actually it cost us more than the jabs would have done, so maybe we paid for a ten pack without knowing! It was worth it though as it told me I was right not to get my boy jabbed.

Also, do kennels not accept titre test results? My old dog went back to the greyhound rescue kennels for holidays and they werent fussed, and my future dog will go to the in laws for holidays, so it shouldnt be an issue for me now. But even so, Id campaign for kennels to accept titre test results in place of jabs, as long as any dogs without protection WERE vaccinated.

suebedo

Post by suebedo » 29 Mar 2013, 10:58

I've been thinking the same about my cats. My first "pack" of cats only had the first set of vaccinations and were never insured. When they all went over the rainbow bridge (all at about 18 and from old age illnesses not due to lack of vaccination) and I started on my new pack I decided to be more responsible as I was older and wiser - yeh right :roll: and they have all been insured and vaccinated from day one. I'm starting to think about self insuring, especially for the cats as with 5 I'm paying over £100 per month just for them. The chances of more than one of them getting a really costly illness or injury is probably quite small. I would then stop the vaccinations as well.

Never knew you could get tested for immunity though and that sounds interesting. Did the vet say how long the testing kits last for? If they stay "good" for a number of years, you could buy the 10 kits and keep them for your own use - especially if you have a number of dogs to test.

Fozz is just a pup so will get a booster next year no matter what, but after then, some reading to do I think!

Bid

Post by Bid » 29 Mar 2013, 13:19

I checked with my insurance companey (petplan) and they said the only effect it would having insurance is that they wouldn't be covered for diseases they could have been vacinated against, but otherwise the insurance would still be OK.

I am beginning to feel more and more against vaccinating Daisy the more I read about the illnesses the vacs can cause. Also all the advice says to only vaccinate a healthy dog, and it is quite a while since I could honestly say Daisy was healthy - i.e. without any signs of infection!
www.dogtrekker.co.uk