Free to good home...

General discussion on all labradoodle-related matters - anything not otherwise covered by specific forums on the site.
ClareV

Free to good home...

Post by ClareV » 22 Mar 2013, 16:11

Help! Someone has put a much loved cream miniature doodle on pets 4 homes. He is one yr old. Rufus. I am concerned as he is free to a good home. Will someone potentially try to make a fast buck out of him?? I think the owner is quite clear that he will vet any potential homes, but it worries me that this ad might attract unwanted attention... It must be so hard, having to have them rehomed.

Henry Doodle

Re: Free to good home...

Post by Henry Doodle » 22 Mar 2013, 16:15

I think id be inclined to ring the Labradoodle Trust and make Barb aware of this ?
Henry "Doodle" and Tracey x

ClareV

Post by ClareV » 22 Mar 2013, 16:30

Thanks for that suggestion - I have alerted the labradoodle trust. I am not sure what they can do about it, but if they feel they can ring the owner and give them some helpful guidance In terms of rehoming and vetting new owners then that has to be a good thing.

I am sure so many of these dogs are rehomed as their owners feel guilty that they can not give them enough exercise and attention, and yet if it were my boy he would I am sure rather survive on good walks at weekends and short walks in the weekdays as long as he was with me. Mind you, those of you who have taken on these dogs and transformed their lives show that they can very successfully adapt to new homes (as long as they are good homes).

Henry Doodle

Post by Henry Doodle » 22 Mar 2013, 16:36

I have also alerted the trust as well xx
Henry "Doodle" and Tracey x

Bid

Post by Bid » 22 Mar 2013, 17:35

In my greetings survey, one of the stats that came up was that doodles aged between 1 and 2 years old were involved in twice as many "doodle initiated greeting incidents" as both younger and older doodles, and I reckon this is reflected in the age that dogs are put up for re-homing :( . It's such a shame when people can't survive that in-between stage - of course I know there are lots of really genuine cases of dogs needing to be rehomed as well, but I am certain a lot are because people aren't prepared for this age thing.
www.dogtrekker.co.uk
Beauty without vanity, strength without insolence, courage without ferocity, and all the virtues of man without his vices - Byron

ClareV

Post by ClareV » 22 Mar 2013, 17:55

Yes. They are a handful, no two ways about it, but so rewarding. I do wonder how some of the puppy owners have got on... Remember a couple of puppies whose owners were seeking advice as their pups were being rather 'full on' at very early ages. I would so love to hear some 'down the line' good news stories about the people who have ridden through the seriously rough patches and now would not change their doods for the world.

I am at least blessed with Charlie who so wants to please me - yet still cannot for the life of him grasp that I do not want him to gallop up to strange dogs!! I think he just waits to give me a chance to catch up so that I can gallop in and join the melee too. After all, why wouldn't I enjoy a good bottom sniff and a chance to carry a slobbery tennis ball about in my mouth, wagging my tail effusively?? So very generous and thoughtful of him...

That'd be a yes, then, Bid!!

Bid

Post by Bid » 22 Mar 2013, 19:13

ClareV wrote: After all, why wouldn't I enjoy a good bottom sniff and a chance to carry a slobbery tennis ball about in my mouth, wagging my tail effusively?? So very generous and thoughtful of him..
It would be interesting meeting you on a doodle meet! :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol:
www.dogtrekker.co.uk
Beauty without vanity, strength without insolence, courage without ferocity, and all the virtues of man without his vices - Byron

ClareV

Post by ClareV » 22 Mar 2013, 19:25

Yeah, think you will spot me! I will be the one on all fours with the ball thrower in my mouth...

suzi23173

Post by suzi23173 » 22 Mar 2013, 19:34

ClareV- when I get a minute I will post just for you about my lovely Tess as I was one of those frantic puppy people!
:D xxxxxxxxx
Love,
Suzi and Tess.
xxx

julieju

Post by julieju » 22 Mar 2013, 19:41

Bid wrote:In my greetings survey, one of the stats that came up was that doodles aged between 1 and 2 years old were involved in twice as many "doodle initiated greeting incidents" as both younger and older doodles, and I reckon this is reflected in the age that dogs are put up for re-homing :( . It's such a shame when people can't survive that in-between stage - of course I know there are lots of really genuine cases of dogs needing to be rehomed as well, but I am certain a lot are because people aren't prepared for this age thing.
That's interesting, and so useful for owners of young doodles to know. It's a lot easier to cope if you know it won't last forever.
ClareV wrote:I am at least blessed with Charlie who so wants to please me - yet still cannot for the life of him grasp that I do not want him to gallop up to strange dogs!! I think he just waits to give me a chance to catch up so that I can gallop in and join the melee too. After all, why wouldn't I enjoy a good bottom sniff and a chance to carry a slobbery tennis ball about in my mouth, wagging my tail effusively?? So very generous and thoughtful of him...
:lol: :lol: Aero is the same. If I spot the other dog first I have a chance of distracting him but once he's off there's no stopping him. I don't bother to try actually - once he's off I've already failed, I know he'll ignore me and in my expert :wink: opinion, I reckon that every time I shout his name and he ignores me I'm reinforcing the idea that it's OK for him to do so, so I wait until he's had his fun and then start the recall shenanigans. As he gets older I'm trying to call him back sooner and sooner - who knows, one day I might even get him to do a u-turn!

His saving grace is that he is hesitant with dogs he's unsure of; so far (touch wood) he will only charge off if he senses playfulness. I'll shut up now, I'm rambling, and completely off the point as well... :roll:
Julie and Aero xx

briansangel

Post by briansangel » 22 Mar 2013, 20:49

I must be either lucky or im in for hassle as Poppy grows but to be honest shes a perfect Puppy even my Dog Walker says shes well behaved and clever for her age.. Shes 5 months nearly does it go down hill from here??.. Seems so sad that a puppy aged 1 has to be let go what was their excuse?? at least they arnt selling him.. I am thinking of a second Doodle but Hubby says she is so good we are bound to get a bad one next lol....... It is so sad i hope he finds a home these dogs are so precious and special... Good Luck Rufus i hope you find your forever home xxx
ImageImage

iceprincess10x

Post by iceprincess10x » 22 Mar 2013, 20:51

I found this forum after bailey was over the worst of this stage. But that stage was such a shock after my other dog was a very chilled out retriever puppy! But it was a relief to know he'd just been a very normal labradoodle puppy. I tell all labradoodle puppy owners now it does get better. Bailey now is amazing and I couldn't/wouldn't be without him!

Vincento

Post by Vincento » 23 Mar 2013, 13:11

Bid wrote:In my greetings survey, one of the stats that came up was that doodles aged between 1 and 2 years old were involved in twice as many "doodle initiated greeting incidents" as both younger and older doodles, and I reckon this is reflected in the age that dogs are put up for re-homing :( . It's such a shame when people can't survive that in-between stage - of course I know there are lots of really genuine cases of dogs needing to be rehomed as well, but I am certain a lot are because people aren't prepared for this age thing.
Bid...that is so true .....and it's not just Doodles either I think people fall in love with idea of having a puppy, choose a breed without any research at all and then expect it to behave, in the house, in the garden, on the lead, in the car, with other people's dog's, cat's, rabbit's, children, adult's etc etc and then because they don't and they've not put any work into training etc to do so ...guess what :?: yes they change their mind's and can't be bothered :roll: :roll: :roll: It's always the dog that pay's the price and someone else pick's up the piece's. It may be lucky and get the right home first off or a good second home (or even third). Sometime's it's not a new home at all :(
Vince doodle ...you will always find him in the kitchen at parties ......

ImageImage

mistydog

Post by mistydog » 23 Mar 2013, 15:08

Brian there is a chance Poppy could turn into 'Kevin' in a few month :lol: :lol: :lol: Then turn back to Poppy :lol: :lol: :lol: Oh the teenage months :lol: :lol: :lol:

Bid

Post by Bid » 23 Mar 2013, 17:20

mistydog wrote:Brian there is a chance Poppy could turn into 'Kevin' in a few month :lol: :lol: :lol: Then turn back to Poppy :lol: :lol: :lol: Oh the teenage months :lol: :lol: :lol:
She could, or maybe she is like my little Poppy - arrived ready trained at 8 weeks, angelic manners, doesn't even like getting her feet muddy, really wants to please - OK she has this little thing about deer :roll: :lol: , but other than that she's perfect! :lol:
www.dogtrekker.co.uk