Killer dogs?

General discussion on all labradoodle-related matters - anything not otherwise covered by specific forums on the site.
sammylou

Killer dogs?

Post by sammylou » 29 Mar 2013, 15:30

I found this article very interesting and thought provoking so thought I would share
http://www.ryanomeara.com/fatal-dog-attacks/
Sam, Herbert Doodle and Ted pest
ImageImage

rebecca0969

Re: Killer dogs?

Post by rebecca0969 » 29 Mar 2013, 16:59

Very interesting... Especially as when I was a child, I was attacked by a border collie whilst I was a visitor at it's family home and it's owner wasn't present.

Thanks Sammylou
Rebecca and Noodles x

Cate

Post by Cate » 29 Mar 2013, 17:21

This man makes total sense, I myself had 2 american bulldogs, mother and son, they had the most fantastic temperaments you could wish for, but when a friend walked into my house without my invite my dogs were not happy, they wouldn't let her move away from the wall until I came in, no contact, just noise. Once I was there, they were all licks. Neither dog harmed anything or anyone all their lives, I still miss them so very much and I neither a hoodie or a thug, and they were not status symbols but my babes.

Bid

Post by Bid » 29 Mar 2013, 18:35

Very interesting - thanks for posting!
www.dogtrekker.co.uk
Beauty without vanity, strength without insolence, courage without ferocity, and all the virtues of man without his vices - Byron

casa42

Post by casa42 » 29 Mar 2013, 19:02

Found this very interesting I have a Border Collie and although she is a loved family pet I do not leave her with my children unsupervised. She is very possesive of her crate and has to be shut in it if someone unfamiliar comes to the house. I do not know what happened to her she was lovely until she reached one despite a poor start in life. After the age of one her behaviour began to deteriorate (this was about the time my lurcher died), she is fab out of the house when off the lead but difficult on the lead and dangerous if approached by strangers. The Labradoodle on the other hand loves everyone and has never shown any aggression at any time. They have been treated and 'raised' exactly the same way, I would feel confident in anybody handling my doodle though - they might get licked to death but I think that is the worst that could happen
Cate and Coco

suebedo

Post by suebedo » 29 Mar 2013, 23:13

Really interesting article with a large dose of common sense. I'd never put the final piece of the puzzle together and realised that in all cases the owner was not present - I knew but didn't twig if you know what I mean.

Daise1970

Post by Daise1970 » 30 Mar 2013, 22:24

Thanks for sharing this info with us all. It really does make sense and I for one, am glad to have read it!
Daise xx

Sarah Bevan

Post by Sarah Bevan » 31 Mar 2013, 12:07

The article is very interesting, and this is something I feel very strongly about.

I agree that all dogs are dangerous given certain situations, however some dogs are capable of killing and some would wound but not have the strength or drive to kill.

People keep saying it is not a breed thing but I strongly disagree.
Most dog attack deaths on children who are visitor to the house of the dog when the owner is not present are by certain breeds!

When choosing a family dog it is still beyond me why people choose to own dogs such as Bull Mastiffs/Pitt Bulls etc. I can't help but wonder if the poor teenager that was killed by 4 dogs last week would still be alive if they were Labradors.
Sarah and Jessie

MalcolmW

Post by MalcolmW » 31 Mar 2013, 19:17

That's a great article and one every dog owner should read
Malcolm

owned by the Labradoodles Lottie and Ruby
and Teigan & Leo the Mini Schnauzers

mistydog

Post by mistydog » 01 Apr 2013, 14:14

Very good article, thanks for posting. Freddie is about the same size as my Daughter's rottie and yesterday we were comparing their teeth. It is of course the poundage the rottie could bring into force which would do the damage.

Daise1970

Post by Daise1970 » 02 Apr 2013, 19:19

Well said Sarah, I do agree with your labrador comment! xx