Working Full Time!

General discussion on all labradoodle-related matters - anything not otherwise covered by specific forums on the site.
gilly39

Working Full Time!

Post by gilly39 » 07 Jun 2007, 13:51

I have just read on another topic about puppies not being sold to people who work full time. We hope to have a second dog when Charlie is a year and a half to two years old but I know that a lot of the breeders on here would not touch us with a barge pole as this automatically eliminates us..

I respect that opinion but I am interested to know whether there are any exceptions to this? After all, there are ways to make it work... such as with dog walkers, doggy daycare, coming home at lunchtime like I do and also working shorter hours which I will be doing in August.

There are lots of discussions such as the one at the moment about why there are so many labradoodle puppies and I am not saying that this is always the case but surely lots of people work full time and if they cant go to the so called 'reputable' breeders, wont this just force them to go to people who wont vet them as much and in truth, eliminates people who would make lovely doodle parents.

I'm not saying I want it this way with Charlie but I consider that her life is full and happy with us... I would love to work form home (just give me the chance) or even give up work but this just isn't possible at the moment but this doesn't make us bad people for wanting a dog.

Charlie is a well trained and obedient dog who gets probably more attention than some dogs who dont have working parents (and I am talking about dogs in general here, not just doods) ... She doesn't bite and chew things up out of frustration because she knows and trusts that we wont leave her for too long.. If I thought she was suffering I would find her a new home tomorrow..

Anyway, that's me off my soap box for today..

jelly

working full time

Post by jelly » 07 Jun 2007, 14:09

i have sold puppies to full time workers
only if they will take the dog to work with them, go home at lunch,
get a dog walker in, family member or friend or doggy daycare.
but i always make sure the owner has at least 2 weeks of work when getting the puppy to settle him/her into the new home and get use to things

Carole g

Post by Carole g » 07 Jun 2007, 14:20

When people come to look at your pups you want to stack the odds firmly in favour of a happy lifetime home. You draw on your experience of what youngsters end up in rescue and for the main part it is from broken homes and people who are at work most of the time. Left to their own devices most puppies will be noisy and destructive and even if the owners are happy, the neighbours may not be. It happens quite often that dogs end up in rescue because of noise nuisance in their owner's absence. Its simple, if you are not there , you can't train.
It is super that Charlie and you are a happy home, but every puppy is different and it isnt safe to assume that the next dog with a different nature may not take being left at all well. My poodles get up to mischief pretty quickly even with each other for company.
Foxisle Gundogs will certainly sell you another dog but then they sell huge numbers of puppies and are are happy to advertise their labradoodles as suitable for people with severe allergies and asthma! I'm glad you have been happy with them (others have not) as Charlie is so very important to you but please dont recommend to others leaving dogs on their own as Rescue organisations are full of such dogs
ALWAYS visit the premises and see mum with pup. There are no excuses!
DONT BUY FROM PUPPY HARMERS

donz

Post by donz » 07 Jun 2007, 14:53

of course it is not recommended, but what is an ideal situation these days in all honesty?

I am lucky in the sense that myself and Gary do not work the same hours, so he is on shift work which makes him at home literally half of the week. On the days he is at work on a day shift it is either a weekend or I work from home.

Works very well for us and I am lucky that I can work partly at home.

When Scruff is left for a few hours we make sure he has boredom breakers and have also recently purchased a Kong Time (releases toys that you can stuff with their food at particular intervals) which works well.

My neighbour is very good at telling me (nicely!) if Scruff has barked or been noisy (hardly ever).

I am not advocating having a dog if you know you will hardly be at home with it BUT I am saying with enough planning and STICKING to that plan all can work out.
Last edited by donz on 07 Jun 2007, 14:59, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage

Sharon

Post by Sharon » 07 Jun 2007, 14:57

donz wrote:
I am lucky in the sense that myself and Gary do not work the same hours, so he is on shit work which makes him at home literally half of the week.
:lol: lol @ "shit work" :lol:

Sharon

Re: working full time

Post by Sharon » 07 Jun 2007, 14:58

jelly wrote:i have sold puppies to full time workers
only if they will take the dog to work with them, go home at lunch,
get a dog walker in, family member or friend or doggy daycare.
but i always make sure the owner has at least 2 weeks of work when getting the puppy to settle him/her into the new home and get use to things
Same here. :D

donz

Post by donz » 07 Jun 2007, 15:00

Sharon wrote:
donz wrote:
I am lucky in the sense that myself and Gary do not work the same hours, so he is on shit work which makes him at home literally half of the week.
:lol: lol @ "shit work" :lol:
oops :oops: too true tho hahaha! amended before it gets censored!
ImageImage

LouBeale

Post by LouBeale » 07 Jun 2007, 15:01

donz wrote:of course it is not recommended, but what is an ideal situation these days in all honesty?

I am lucky in the sense that myself and Gary do not work the same hours, so he is on shit work which makes him at home literally half of the week. On the days he is at work on a day shift it is either a weekend or I work from home.

Works very well for us and I am lucky that I can work partly at home.

When Scruff is left for a few hours we make sure he has boredom breakers and have also recently purchased a Kong Time (releases toys that you can stuff with their food at particular intervals) which works well.

My neighbour is very good at telling me (nicely!) if Scruff has barked or been noisy (hardly ever).

I am not advocating having a dog if you know you will hardly be at home with it BUT I am saying with enough planning and STICKING to that plan all can work out.
:lol: sorry to hear about your hubby's shit work. :lol:

Think my hubby would probably agree with that statement. :lol:

I wouldn't completely rule out someone working full time, it depends on the individual circumstance of the person. I have made it clear to people in my adoption agreement that I expect them to ensure their puppy is taken care of during long periods of absence and the toilet training aspect of leaving a wee pup all alone for a long time. You do need to give people a bit of credit for having some intelligence at the end of the day.

LouBeale

Post by LouBeale » 07 Jun 2007, 15:03

P.S. I would rather people tell me they are working full time and have made arrangments for their puppy than lie to me and find out one of my pups is being left all day or needed rehoming later due to work commitments. :evil: :cry:

Jo H

Post by Jo H » 07 Jun 2007, 15:15

What is to stop someone who wants any kind of dog telling the breeder that they work part time? Who is going to find out if you are telling the truth or lying?

I work full time and am lucky enough to be able to go home for an hour every day at lunch time to give Sophie her dinner and to have a play. I am also lucky in the respect that I have an older dog who has been used to being at home all day ever since I got divorced and had to go back to full time work. She was 3 years old then and she is now 13.

Sophie goes for a 20 minute walk in the morning before I leave for work and then a half hour walk as soon as I get home at 4. When I have to go back to work she is happy to go back into her crate and play with the loads of toys she has in there.

Like it has been said before, if I thought for one moment that any animal I had would suffer in any way I wouldn't have bought her in the first place. Do you really think we could really afford to pay all the money we have done (in my case, £800), in the first place if we were going to neglect the dog? The total cost so far since we bought Sophie has been around £5000, which again we couldnt really afford but have been happy to do so as she is a loving member of our family.
Jo

linda l

Post by linda l » 07 Jun 2007, 16:02

Sorry gilly39 :(

Wasnt having a go about people working full time it was just on the topic of breeders being good, bad or indifferent. Tillys breeder asked us loads of questions before we went to see her and one of them was did I work full time. I am very fortunate not to work away from home, I have a small livery yard so am at home all day but I do appreciate that not everyone can do so. Iam sure you love Charlie and she is fine and what works for 1 dog might not work for others. LOL Linda and Tilly

Berni

Post by Berni » 07 Jun 2007, 16:41

When we got Cassie this was after a lot of thought and due to the fact that Hubbies shifts meant she would only be on her own for a couple of hours at a time either am or pm as I work office hours full time. Also the Breeder supplied a questionaire which asked these questions.

Circumstances have now changed and I am on my own working full time - if I knew this was going to happen I would never have got a dog being on my own and working full time.

However, I would never consider giving her up as she has been the one thing that has got me through all this and I love her to bits.... But I couldn`t do it without the help of friends and family coming round during the day to walk her and check on her.

I would absolutely love to be home all day or work part time, maybe one day!

I do think that any good breeder would want to enquire about the owners circumstances first.

Berni

gilly39

Post by gilly39 » 07 Jun 2007, 19:36

Carole g wrote:Left to their own devices most puppies will be noisy and destructive and even if the owners are happy, the neighbours may not be. It is super that Charlie and you are a happy home, but every puppy is different and it isnt safe to assume that the next dog with a different nature may not take being left at all well. My poodles get up to mischief pretty quickly even with each other for company.

Foxisle Gundogs will certainly sell you another dog but then they sell huge numbers of puppies and are are happy to advertise their labradoodles as suitable for people with severe allergies and asthma! I'm glad you have been happy with them (others have not) as Charlie is so very important to you but please dont recommend to others leaving dogs on their own as Rescue organisations are full of such dogs
Thanks for all of the responses.. Carole can I just say that we must be very lucky with Charlie as she hasn't barked more than 4 times or so since we've had her and our neighbour never hears her so I think she is quite contented. I do however agree with you that we might not be so lucky with a second dog...

As for Foxisle well I leave everyone to their own opinion as we are all entitled.. but I dont think I ever recommended leaving a dog on their own did I? Maybe that's not what you are implying that I said and I have read it wrong.

gilly39

Post by gilly39 » 07 Jun 2007, 19:44

linda l wrote:Sorry gilly39 :(

Wasnt having a go about people working full time it was just on the topic of breeders being good, bad or indifferent. Tillys breeder asked us loads of questions before we went to see her and one of them was did I work full time. I am very fortunate not to work away from home, I have a small livery yard so am at home all day but I do appreciate that not everyone can do so. Iam sure you love Charlie and she is fine and what works for 1 dog might not work for others. LOL Linda and Tilly
Yes I know Linda but you know how your mind starts working when you read something... I hope you dont think I wasn't getting at you which is why I started a completely different thread.

Carole g

Post by Carole g » 07 Jun 2007, 21:34

No gilly39 I did not think you wete recommending homing pups with people who work full time. My problem, of course, is that I do homechecks for dogs who become a real problem when bought by people who assume it will all work out fine. I'm happy when everything goes well and I'm sure as a true dog lover you can understand the despair Rescue organisations feel at yet another dog who has to be rehomed.
ALWAYS visit the premises and see mum with pup. There are no excuses!
DONT BUY FROM PUPPY HARMERS