Am I asking to much?

General discussion on all labradoodle-related matters - anything not otherwise covered by specific forums on the site.
Jay128

Am I asking to much?

Post by Jay128 » 01 May 2013, 13:32

Poppy is fab, she a good girl, no chewing, stealing or horrid habits but when we take her out and let her go off lead she can be, but not always a right pain in the ar.............!
Last night we took her for her walk, playing fetch beautifully, stopping to have a sniff and then back to the ball until off on the bl.....y horizon she spots another dog, sometimes it a work car in the park she chases daft dog, and off she goes. We call but to no avail, she plays and when she has had enough she comes back, or if she has sussed its not friendly from a distance she comes back. usually this happens once and then shes great but last night every flipping time, in the end on the lead she went but I hate doing that but it just saves tramping about for miles.
Every one she meets is so happy and tells us what a sociable dog we have and how lucky we are.

She does always come back after about 10 mins but not when we want her to. If we can catch her attention and divert her she stays with us but hubby now won't let her off if he takes her out alone as shes better for me.
Am I asking to much of her at 6.5 months?

ps I think I already know the answer but somebody, anybody please give me some hope!!!!!!!!!

ImageImage

Bid

Re: Am I asking to much?

Post by Bid » 01 May 2013, 13:40

How about walking her on her lead, and when you see a dog say something like "Doggy!" so she sees, then ask for a sit and when she does tell her to "go play". After only a few goes she wil learn that "Doggy" means there is a dog approaching, and if she sits nicely she can go play. After a while you can start to introduce alternatives, so sometimes she will get a "go play" and other times she will get something else such as an exciting game of tug. Eventually she will learn to sit when a dog approaches and wait to find out what good thing is going to happen next!

Daisy likes to be alerted to approaching dogs, so she can make her mind up if they are friend (play) or foe (ignore). :lol:
www.dogtrekker.co.uk
Beauty without vanity, strength without insolence, courage without ferocity, and all the virtues of man without his vices - Byron

JeanG

Post by JeanG » 01 May 2013, 14:25

:D Yes, I think you are asking a bit much at 6.5 months. If your experience is anything like mine she will get better with time and training, then, just when you think you've cracked it she will get worse again! :roll: We ended up bringing the extending lead out at about 12 months as she would NOT come back, you know that sideways look they give you out of the corner of their eyes! Grrr :twisted:
As for when she comes into season - absolute nightmare if you don't spot it in time! We nearly had schnauzipoos!!! :lol:
But - the good bit - then it gets better again and - touch wood by 2 years old it should be, if not perfect, then pretty good. I know it seems a long time to wait but it WILL get better. :D

Oh dear, your story has just reminded me of when David had to leave her in the field and come and get me as she refused to come to him. The other dog owners all laughed at him and he was NOT happy! :oops: :oops: :oops:
Jean & Bella xxx

susieQ

Post by susieQ » 01 May 2013, 14:40

She's still a baby really. Have you tried the usual - treats or a squeaky ball? Or high quality treat like cheese or hot dog sausage?
Sue and Rosie

Doodle Dee

Post by Doodle Dee » 01 May 2013, 16:30

I think you are asking too much - even the older experienced dogs cock a deafen when they want to. I used to put Lulu back on the lead if I saw another dog I didn't know (we know most of the walkers) and if a biker or runner goes by.

The bikes she is fine with now and I don't need to put her on the lead, just get her to focus. I find as long as the Joggers don't talk she is okay. I started by asking her to sit and wait whilst they went past,

Other dogs well - that is a yes or no thing. Mainly yes now and I always have a squeaky ball that brings her back - usually. Lulu is a submissive though and will sit before she meets another dog if we are close by.

Do you go Puppy Training. One of the things we learn is to show a treat in one hand and take it to her nose and then raise it up and she watches as we walk. A few steps and she gets the treat (it has to be a good one - I use her squeaky ball sometimes). A little bit further each time.

It does mean you have to be aware of what is around you though and try and think ahead of the dog :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:
Lulu & Dx

ImageImage

Jay128

Post by Jay128 » 01 May 2013, 17:11

Well, as I got in early from work we are back from a walk. Kept her on the lead, as I usually do, till I got her into the park and around the corner so we can see who's there. Two huge black dogs that she's played with before so she sat and I let her off to play.
Then she saw a lovely choc lab and beagle combo and off she went. Owner and dogs where friendly so we walked and chatted, I got mugged by his dogs for treats and filthy jeans, this is quite normal I only go out in old clothes, I look a right scruff!
Spotted a couple resting!! :oops: :oops: :oops: ! on the grass, dressed in white, with two dogs, on the lead she went, treat given, pulled like mad to get to them, she didn't but sat for treat instead. :D
Let her off and the group went mad again, oh the mud hole they found, one gold doodle now black and stinky, again! :twisted: Leaded her when they went off to car, said goodbye and we both walked on only to find Mr beagle coming home with us and refusing to go back to his owner, so back we went.
We survived today.
We have tried a squeaky ball, and treats, I have gone for bigger treats which I can roll in the direction we want her to go, this helps and standing with treat in hand reaching for the sky also sometimes works, I just look like a fool, I don't mind, I'm used to it by now. :roll:
I shall try the lead, doggy, sit thing. I like the sound of it but after reading many posts about trainers saying the owners must stay calm I think I just might need some vallium! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I shall carry on trying but all tips and ideas welcome and thank you so much for letting me know they do get better eventually, you have given me the strength to carry on! :D :D :D :D :D :D
ImageImage

Nicky

Post by Nicky » 01 May 2013, 19:34

Hi,

I hate to say it but we have only just managed to get Dexter out of this habit :oops:

He is 99% but sometimes if he sees another dog thats running or playing he is off! and he is nearly four!

What does work is his ball if he is focused on this he doesntcare about the dogs, or gettinghim back dried sausage treats from pets at home used to work wonders!lol

Webbs

Post by Webbs » 01 May 2013, 19:59

Squeaky kong balls are my weapon when we are out, have two in my bag i carry. If we want her to be not so bouncy when she sees a dog she doesnt know, then we throw her the ball and then she holds it in her mouth, defo alot calmer around other dogs as she thinks they want her ball. We then take it back off her when we pass.

My weapon lol.

Also she is alot better around other dogs she doesnt know if she is not sure if they are friendly or not. She has become very wary of alsations and german shepherds, not sure why, but i think it is more as they are quite big dogs. Small dogs she has no problem approaching but bigger ones, she is slightly wary as she has got older :)

suzi23173

Post by suzi23173 » 01 May 2013, 20:18

Agh! Wrote a big long post to you earlier but its not here so I can't of hit submit. :?

Anyway it was to tell a story about Tess doodling the same poor lab on a lead, who really didn't like it, three times- once at first sight of him, next by haring off like a whippet round a corner when I let her off and thought they were out of sight out of mind and lastly because when I caught her the second time she was so determined I physically couldn't hold her and she broke free and doodled him again! The ladies were quite within their rights to have really been cross and shouted at me but they were very nice. :oops: :oops: :oops:

So you see you are not alone. There are other doodle b*gg+rs who drive their humans mad. :lol:

Most of the time she's fine. I do over kill with treats, calling her back a lot and treating if she checks in with me- which of course she does lots to get treats.
One thing that has really worked is a whistle. I do two toots and so far she has whizzed back, even from other dogs. It seems to make her stop in her tracks quicker than if I call her. xx
Love,
Suzi and Tess.
xxx

Jay128

Post by Jay128 » 01 May 2013, 20:27

Hi, we had a kong ball that squeaked until hubby threw it a bit to far and another dog got it and ran away, cheeky! :lol:
Poppy shows no respect to any dog unless they give her the growly brush off, she has no fear even if they are huge as my son has a GS and a GS crossbreed, huge :shock:
She does however back off dogs who don't want to play and seems to remember them the next time and if she is unsure on approach she will just sit and look at them for a couple of minutes and then either dive in or run back to mum.
She is sulking at the moment because when we got back today she stank so much that I had to wash her with the hose, poor Doodle :shock:
ImageImage

Jay128

Post by Jay128 » 01 May 2013, 20:31

Oooooo Suzi tomorrow I shall shop and buy a whistle, I saw a man in the park the other week who used a whistle on his springer to beautiful effect.
I shall have the perfect doodle, :D
I shall have the perfect doodle, :shock:
I shall have the perfect doodle, :roll:
I shall have the perfect doodle, :lol:

If I say it enough it will come true, won't it?
ImageImage

suzi23173

Post by suzi23173 » 01 May 2013, 20:49

Oh Yes! :P
(Until she cocks a deaf'un as Doodledee would say! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:)
Love,
Suzi and Tess.
xxx

bedlingtondoodle

Post by bedlingtondoodle » 01 May 2013, 23:19

I am going to say no I don't think you are.

If your dog learns to come back before this becomes a bad habbit, then you never need to go through the hassle of breaking the habbit.

Do you attend any form of classes, if not may be something to consider
Lewie
Benson

Jay128

Post by Jay128 » 02 May 2013, 15:10

Hi Bedlingtondoodle,
yes we did attend puppy classes and she passed those with flying colours but we are waiting for a phone call to say when the next class is to begin, they are with the dogs trust but if they don't start soon I might have to find another one as we both loved them so much. :D
ImageImage