Coco's Weight Gain

General discussion on all labradoodle-related matters - anything not otherwise covered by specific forums on the site.
Cococabana

Coco's Weight Gain

Post by Cococabana » 09 May 2013, 23:42

Hi all, Coco was speyed in February, she seems to have gained a significant amount of weight!!! :( As soon as we noticed we reduced her food, she's on Arden Grange puppy junior 2 x per day , sometimes less AG with chicken, no treats inbetween other than the odd dice of dried liver to entice her back for recall purposes. She doesn't seem to be shifting it. 2 walks per day, lots of running about during walks. Just wondering whether we should change her to a raw diet instead, don't know whether that will help :?:

Any advice please :)

Bid

Re: Coco's Weight Gain

Post by Bid » 10 May 2013, 09:29

Interestingly enough, there is no physiological reason for a bitch to gain weight after spaying. Usually it is because at the age they are spayed their growth is slowing as they are reaching their adult size, and so they need less food. At Coco's age maybe she is ready to move onto the adult food which might be more suited to her body's needs now she is more or less full grown and has experienced a change in hormone balance.

Feeding raw food does allow you to control exactly what she eats - Daisy has recently lost 4kg through eating rabbit instead of lamb without adjusting the amount of food she had. (Lucky her - if I wasn't a vegetarian I might think about doing the same thing myself! :lol: )
www.dogtrekker.co.uk
Beauty without vanity, strength without insolence, courage without ferocity, and all the virtues of man without his vices - Byron

The Turners

Post by The Turners » 10 May 2013, 21:39

No great advice from me :) ,
but Wurly put on a wee bit weight after being spayed,
but I put it down to the fact that I was giving her the same amount of food but as she was recovering from her op ,
she wasn't doing the same amount of exercise.
So I cut her food down a wee bit till she'd lost 3kg.
Then increased it by a small amount so she didn't carry on losing any.
Since then her weight has been stable at 30kg, which we & the vet are happy with. Hope this helps. :D
Nicky
Nicky Chris & Wurly
Image Image

Cococabana

Post by Cococabana » 10 May 2013, 21:48

Awww thanks, Wurly is Coco's role model as they're so similar :) I'm taking her for her booster on Monday, will get her weighed at the vets and then focussing on some serious weight loss!, for the Coco as well :lol: She's still on Arden Grange, the recommended amount to feed gives such a wide range and I'm always really worried that she's not getting enough food, think theres some transference going on here :oops: What does Wurly eat and how much please?

The Turners

Post by The Turners » 10 May 2013, 22:14

I've always said they could twins. :lol: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Wurly has 60g of Origen in the morning, & 200g for her evening meal. She has treats through out the day, a couple of bonio type biscuits and some small dog treats. She also has tidbits from her dads dinner. So the amount of Origen she has is with all her daily treats taken into consideration. :)
Good luck with diet Coco :D ,
Wurly was a nightmare when she was on hers :roll: , she was like my shadow every time i went into the kitchen, constantly wanting food, but we got there in the end. :D
Nicky

Bid maybe we should all try the Daisy diet. :lol: :wink:
Nicky Chris & Wurly
Image Image

Cococabana

Post by Cococabana » 10 May 2013, 22:34

Thanks for your replies guys :D

stout

Post by stout » 11 May 2013, 14:18

Can't be much more help, other than to say, Stout gained weight without us really noticing, we cut back his food, and he has lost four kilos. It took a while for him to start loosing it, so maybe Coco hasn't got to that stage yet :D .

He is still getting reduced rations, and has perfected the 'I am starving look at me mum' look to try to get more food :roll:
Cheers,

Chris, Michelle & Stout

ImageImage

Stout Puppy Pics:
http://photobucket.com/stoutdoodle

Cococabana

Post by Cococabana » 11 May 2013, 20:28

How could Stout be called Stout without being Stout :?: :lol: