Balls not dropped

General discussion on all labradoodle-related matters - anything not otherwise covered by specific forums on the site.
techiebabe

Balls not dropped

Post by techiebabe » 15 Jul 2013, 01:38

Hi,

Commodore will be 13 weeks tomorrow.

At his 8 week check and jabs the vet said one ball hadnt dropped but hey, it would probably drop by 2nd jabs.

At 11 weeks he saw a locum for his second jabs, she said one ball was down but small - immature for his age - and as for the other, she could feel something under the skin which could be a ball in the wrong place or just a fatty growth.

She said if they arent dropped by 6 months he must be neutered then to avoid the cancer risk.

I understand this. However one of my reasons for getting a boy was to avoid the abdominal surgery of neutering a girl.... I would hate it if he had to have major surgery to find his ball. Also I would prefer to neuter him later if possible. I think spaying is mean and traumatic and it is one of the many reasons that I only have boy dogs. No disrespect to those who have girls, but I have grown up with girl labs and more recently had an adult boy, and I hate seeing girls go through spay, and I would find it very tough to go through too. Not everything is for everyone!

Obviously if he needs it, he needs it. But Id love advice! Google seems to suggest some dogs drop balls by 6 weeks. In other cases it says 6 months. I dont know who to believe or if it might still drop.

Also some sites say how to stroke the area (!) to bring the ball down... again I dont know if I should try this or how. The vet did say his one dropped ball was tiny and immature at this stage, like a pea rather than a ball, and he needed to mature. So,maybe I wouldnt find the other ball anyway?

Should I just wait and hope he matures and drops the other ball and they both grow? Or should I prepare for more expensive and invasive surgery? Can I do anything to help him in the interim?

Id love to hear some stories so I know what we might be dealing with. Thanks!

beeeerock

Re: Balls not dropped

Post by beeeerock » 15 Jul 2013, 03:32

This shouldn't be a big deal. When he is neutered, they'll just dig a little deeper and remove it then. Pretty much any time after 8 weeks is now considered acceptable to have the surgery. There are a few different schools of thought on when a dog should be fixed, but there is little hard evidence one way or the other... just plenty of opinions. The vet we've had for 20 plus years has taken a personal interest in this and kept up with the discussions. He's quite conservative but still recommends any time after 8 weeks.

A relative of mine has a dog who had the exact issue as you describe. It was nothing to worry about... the vet charged an extra bit for the time to dig around and that was that. The dog didn't even need to wear the Cone of Shame afterwards... no apparent pain or discomfort - we thought we'd need to medicate him to keep him 'calm and quiet' as the vet recommended post-op! If your vet is able to feel it, he'll be able to find and remove it. If they are suggesting it's a big deal, maybe you want to find another vet... they could be preparing you for an unjustified additional charge!

suebedo

Post by suebedo » 15 Jul 2013, 07:11

Fozzie too had only one ball that was tiny on his first visit to the vet. He got to about 4 months before she could feel two and he now has a fine pair that are easily seen swinging in the wind :lol: :lol: :lol: .

My vet also talked about having to find it when he was being castrated if it hadn't dropped. That vet was from the USA so castration was expected but at least she wanted to wait. We now have a vet who doesn't like to castrate unless there is a medical or behavioural need (maybe because he's a man :lol: :lol: ).

I think it's a case of wait and see, it'll probably all be fine and he'll soon have a nice pair he can be proud to swing :lol: :lol:

jackieholmes19

Post by jackieholmes19 » 15 Jul 2013, 07:15

My sister has the exact same problem with her pug (although neither ball has come down). The vet said he need to be done by 18 months because of the cancer risk. He also said that it is better to neuter male dogs later, as the testosterone helps them grow.
Jackie & Bella
Xxx

techiebabe

Post by techiebabe » 15 Jul 2013, 08:16

Thanks all three of you for the quick replies & being so reassuring. We are getting him checked at 6 months and deciding then, but I just wanted to know what to expect. Sounds like it could go either way!

We will be getting him neutered eventually, just that I wanted to wait until he's a year old ideally.

Any more stories or anecdotes would be very welcome.

Noglet

Post by Noglet » 15 Jul 2013, 08:46

Hello,

We had a similar situation with George. At 7 weeks, both were present and correct, but at 6 months our lovely usual vet could only find one and commented that it was on the small side.

Having watched Stan mature, the smallness didn't really surprise me because, behaviourally, I'd spotted that George's development from puppy to adult was way behind Stan's (an interesting case of standard versus miniature). Our vet did comment that George was apprehensive about seeing her - he'd been fine with vet nurses, but this was his first meeting with our regular vet because she was on holiday when he first arrived with us - and one could have popped up (a guarding reflex?). She said not to worry, to have a see what was going on when he went for his boosters at 12 months and to take it from there. She also appreciated that while we intend neutering him in the future, that we didn't want to neuter a large dog too soon.

Anyhow, at almost 10 months, he's now fully mature with a fine and full undercarriage :lol: Believe me, you can't miss that they're both there because although George is cream, he has grey skin, so he now has a fine pair of black balls swinging along behind him! :lol: :oops:

Sarah

techiebabe

Post by techiebabe » 21 Jul 2013, 01:20

Thank you for the reassurances!

Commodores ball is now marble sized and easy to find, unfortunately now they are a bit bigger it is clear the other one is nowhere near... cant find it!

I cant do anything so will stop worrying til his 6 month checkup but i do hope it materialises as I would hate to put him thru major abdo surgery to find it. Please cross your fingers and paws for him that his second ball makes an appearance!

He still shags his toys excitedly.....(!)

Clair&Bob

Post by Clair&Bob » 22 Jul 2013, 10:20

Hi there - our Bob was exactly the same and his didn't drop :roll: so he was castrated at 9 months. The surgery was just like a 'normal' castration other than they had to go in a bit further to find the other one!!

I wouldn't by choice have had him castrated that early but I trust our vets implicitly so followed their guidance. He was absolutely fine post op (I clearly remember him shredding his bed (again!) when the GA wore off :roll: ).

Please don't be over anxious about this - the health risks of a non-distended testicle are far worse than the surgery. Bob has matured into a wonderful dog, the only complaint about early castration is that he still stoops to pee and my lawn has taken the brunt of that!!

Clair xx
Clair & Bob

techiebabe

Post by techiebabe » 22 Jul 2013, 23:08

Thank you for the reassurance :-)

I have a great vet who I trust and who is also willing to listen to what I am asking (with my greyhound I asked to have him titre tested to find out if vaccination was necessary - she had to look it up but was happy to go with it and in the end he didn't need jabs as he was still well protected - at the age of 12 - from the jabs he'd had annually to the age of 3). So I will just have to talk to her at 6 months.

I thought that boy puppies learnt to cock their leg from seeing other boys doing it and copying them, not from sexual maturity? Maybe it's a combo of the two. My friends have girl dogs so I will have to find some boy dogs and get them to show C how it's done! I already have planters that are above male dog peeing height for that very reason, and yes my lawn is scorched too, so fingers crossed that he learns to pee "properly". One of my many reasons for wanting a boy, as well as the neutering being easier than for a girl, is because it's embarrassing if they puddle on a pavement and it runs where people are walking, rather than peeing on a tree!

I wonder if I can get my husband drunk enough to show C how it's done...?

(Dont worry, I won't! :lol: )

beeeerock

Post by beeeerock » 24 Jul 2013, 06:29

Clair&Bob wrote:Bob has matured into a wonderful dog, the only complaint about early castration is that he still stoops to pee and my lawn has taken the brunt of that!!

Clair xx
I have never heard anything to suggest the time of neutering has anything to do with how he'll pee. What I've seen is that some males will do a stoop or do a minor leg lift in his own yard (on the grass, not against a tree), but lift a leg against a tree, hydrant or rock when out and about. It's marking rather than simply draining the bladder. Dominance on the street.

Early neutering is not uncommon over here, and in fact, probably more common than leaving it until later. 10 - 16 weeks is not unusual... and the great number that have been done this way should give our vets a good idea of whether there is any connection to health, growth or temperament as a result. The predominant opinion is that early neutering isn't any different and is easier on the dog since the surgery is less significant. Vets are generally in it because they have an interest in animals and want to do the right thing by them... if it was an issue, they'd recommend against it. Of course there are probably some that have a stronger opinion one way or the other, but I haven't come across one yet.

I've had three males neutered early like this and have seen nothing unusual in any of them... and am aware of many others in the dog park that are also just fine. For what it's worth, Bodhi is still growing like a weed at 26 weeks and happily humps everything in sight. I see it as more of a dominance thing than a sexual urge.