Good news - well sort of!

General discussion on all labradoodle-related matters - anything not otherwise covered by specific forums on the site.
suebedo

Good news - well sort of!

Post by suebedo » 19 Jul 2013, 11:26

I've got a new job starting in October!! Really looking forward to it but it does mean I'll be leaving my doodles at home during the day :cry: :cry: . We are now trying to decide whether a dog walker is our best option or if we can both co-ordinate our start - end times so that we can reduce the amount of time the puppies are left by themselves to time to an acceptable level without going down that road. The trainer at our puppy class knows of some dog walkers so we'll have some choice. I may even see about taking a 2 hour lunch break every day so that I can get home and spend a little time with them in the middle of the day - it would mean starting earlier or later though!

I'm hoping that I can take them to work with me in the school holidays when no one else is around which would be fab - I'll get settled there first though before broaching that subject :lol: :lol:

Be interested to hear how other people deal with work and doodles.

Masil

Re: Good news - well sort of!

Post by Masil » 19 Jul 2013, 12:42

Firstly, congratulations on the new job :D
We are fortunate in that my OH is self-employed so he is in out during the day. Also, my daughter is in 6th form so she's around quite a bit too. When Coco is left it's not for more than 3 hours. We used to crate her but now she has the run of downstairs. So far, she hasn't destroyed or damaged anything (or not that I've noticed anyway :D ). Hope you find a solution that works for you and your doods - at least you have a couple of months to organise things. Taking the dogs to work in the school holidays would be fab!

Jasper

Post by Jasper » 19 Jul 2013, 12:49

Congratulations on your new job.
suebedo wrote:I'll get settled there first though before broaching that subject
Nah, go for it early doors - they are really good at shredding so it would be like two employees for one!!!!

Jasper comes to work with me.. and to be honest it is a bit of a distraction because he's funny, cute and cuddly.
We've organised it so that the office is separated from the showroom by floor to ceiling tile racks and a large dog gate. Most of the time customers want to come and say hello and have a cuddle anyway :roll: :roll: (I mean from the dog, not me - its not that kind of business) :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
It works for us. Jasper has the run of the office area and kitchen. and there is field next to us for pee breaks (his).
But it does mean that he is hardly ever left at home on his own!

Jo and Jasper
x

Doodle Dee

Post by Doodle Dee » 19 Jul 2013, 13:12

well done with your new job

Well Lulu is left on her own for about 5 hours for around three days - she seems to be okay
I have a dog walker that Lulu loves that I phone every so often and she will take her out - especially if I beleive I am going to be a lot longer

Once through no fault of my own she was left for 7 hours and she was fine

They have each other also which may be good

Sometimes I think we worry about our doodles too much :D
Lulu & Dx

ImageImage

Webbs

Post by Webbs » 19 Jul 2013, 13:47

I work part time and the husband works shift patterns so we work it out from there.

When we first got Willow though the kids were around more but as time has gone by both are actually now working full time. Best not to have relied on them too much because we knew this would happen. They did however just take half a week each off work to look after her whilst me and the husband had a weeks holiday in Cyprus.

I leave the house at 815am and am back by 2.45pm so total 6 and half hours. If the husband is on early shift then he is home by 230pm so fifteen minutes earlier than me. If he is on late shift then he doesn't leave the house until 1pm so she is only on her own for 1 hour and 45 mins before I get back. So worst case scenario six and half hours and she is fine. I usually leave her blanket and toys on my bed and a kong with chopped up apple and a cardboard box with some kibble. Not sure how long these things last but she is fine when we get back :)

I would not get a puppy now though because of the six and half hours as would not be fair on a puppy but when we got willow, my daughter was having the school xmas break and my son was at college three days a week so was around a lot more.

iwantadog

Post by iwantadog » 19 Jul 2013, 14:56

I work in a school so have the holidays off, but during term time Murphy is left from 8.15am until 2.30pm, he has the run of the kitchen, hall and landing and I'm pretty sure he just sleeps all day! I walk him every morning before work so he's had a good pee and at least one poo!

W got him at the beginning of the summer holidays and just worked up the amount of time we left him, from ten minutes the first day up to 6.5 hrs in September.

He definitely knows the routine now and usually just goes back to bed after his morning walk!

ImageImageImageImageImageImage

MandyG

Post by MandyG » 19 Jul 2013, 16:03

I work three days a week and am out of the house from 8.15am till 6pm, so that's nearly 10 hours! However, my neighbour comes in during the day to take Phoebe out (I pay her £5 a day) so she gets an hour's company and walk/run/play during that time.

I take her out for half an hour before I go, and immediately take her out when I get home.

When she was a puppy (I started working when she was 5 months) I would come home to find all manner of things destroyed! Now, she's much calmer and tends to sleep most of the day.

I didn't know I was going to start working again when I got Phoebe as a 9 week old pup. I certainly wouldn't get another puppy until I retire...still some years off, but I'm lucky that Phoebe is very laid back and I have good neighbours. Also, if my friend can't do it for some reason, I can take Phoebe to work with me (although I don't like to as she's not keen on the train or bus!)

Love and licks, Phoebe and Mandy

julieju

Post by julieju » 19 Jul 2013, 16:32

Congratulations! It will all work out fine. I take Aero to work with me every day (I'm part time, mornings only) - we walk so he is nice and tired when we get there, and usually curls up and goes straight to sleep.

He was a bit destructive when he was a puppy :oops: and we still have to keep the waste paper bins on the windowsills :lol: but overall it has worked out really well. He's become the main attraction actually, visitors always make a big fuss of him. I do have a friend who I can call on occasionally to come and whisk him away if he makes a nuisance of himself (one occasion involving our accountant and his packed lunch springs to mind :oops: :lol: )

The downside is that he's so used to company that he now hates being left. His trainer thinks it would have been better if I'd got him used to being left at home once or twice a week - argh, you really can't win! :?

xx
Julie and Aero xx

suebedo

Post by suebedo » 19 Jul 2013, 18:31

Thank you everyone.

Little Flo will be nearly 8 months when I go and the Fozzmeister will be nearly 1 so they are both past the worst stage (I say tongue in cheek!).

I don't know how many staff are in over the school holidays and being the boss lady I can't start something and live to regret it when someone else wants to bring their dog in. If it looks like a goer that takes care of 13 weeks plus nearly 7 weeks for holidays and bank holidays - over a third of the year taken care of already!!

Jay128

Post by Jay128 » 19 Jul 2013, 21:15

Congratulations!
We leave Poppy at 7.30 am and are home about four in the afternoon. That's about 8.5 hours. I know it's a long time but we have our routine and it works for us. Hubby and son worked shifts but son has left home now and hubby now has a new job so will be working from home several days a week and the days he goes out he will leave after me.
Poppy gets a walk in the morning and company when shifts allow but she almost seems put out at the start of the holidays as if to say what are you doing here.
In the morning she has her walk, breakfast, play and goodies and toys put out for her. When we are about to leave she gets her tripe stick and runs off to the garden to play, tossing it up in the air and running round like a mad thing. She never seems put out when we leave and the welcome when we get home is wonderful. She has access to the garden all day as she is a medium and can still fit through the cat flap. When we are home she is our priority and travels with us wherever at the weekend.
Would she love to be with us all day, probably, does it hurt her to be alone, I don't think so and neither does anyone who meets her as she's so happy but I know some people would disagree with it. :D
ImageImage

minnie the gdoodle

Post by minnie the gdoodle » 20 Jul 2013, 15:23

just turn up the first day with them and say they followed you to work and can you keep them?

suebedo

Post by suebedo » 20 Jul 2013, 19:21

:lol: :lol: :lol:

oakesr

Post by oakesr » 20 Jul 2013, 21:59

I work part time and OH works shifts, there's a few days a month when our shifts cross and Roma is left for 6 hrs (9am-3pm). We got her whilst I was on long term sick leave and knew that we would have to build up the time she was alone for when I went back to work. We started at 10mins, from week 1, and took it from there.

She gets a 30min walk before I leave and has all her toys out. We know she's ok, as when hubbys in bed after a night shift, she doesn't make a peep (she wouldn't realise he was there as the house is three storeys and he's at the top and she's at the bottom).

She's been confined to the hall when we're out but this week she's had the run of downstairs, as it's so hot.

Congrats on the job and don't worry. they'll be fine x
Rachel & Roma

wobble.gob

Post by wobble.gob » 21 Jul 2013, 14:54

As I have only just picked up my little monster (picked him up yesterday) I am at the very beginning of the "leaving him alone" routine.

I have the next couple of weeks off, then kindly my mum is going to have him for most of the day, until eventually I can leave him on his own while I work. My mum will still pop round every day to give him a walk.

I have read on here that several of the doodles will go through a standard size cat flap...is that right? Obviously depending on the size of the doodle!

dexysback

Post by dexysback » 21 Jul 2013, 15:29

I would go for dog walker or family member to pop in ,my daughter goes back to work two days a week and she wants me to have her child in her house because her partners doesnt want a dog around the child,but i have told her i will only do a morning or afternoon,because i have never left dexter more then a few hours and i am mostly with him ,ifeel it wouldnt be fair to leave him from 8 till 6 no way. Plus he is used to three walks a day,congratulations on your job.
ImageImage