The cross we bear, a year with Labradoodles

General discussion on all labradoodle-related matters - anything not otherwise covered by specific forums on the site.
freedom

The cross we bear, a year with Labradoodles

Post by freedom » 18 Jun 2007, 14:12

Attached is an article from Dog World, june 15th 2007

It may come as no surprise that I agree with all that the author has to say.

PennyAli

Post by PennyAli » 18 Jun 2007, 14:43

I to agree with this and hope that people now start looking towards the Aussie dogs and how they were produced and what went into them after all the International Australian Labradoodle Association was the first organisation to insist on Optigen PRA testing, and as I have already posted their is a clinic on in September, where you will receive a 25% discount, it is the Aussie doodle that I aspire to and hope to one day achieve by following the same routes as they did and will hopefully have a Aussie Doodle of my own in the future.

chelsea

Post by chelsea » 18 Jun 2007, 15:06

I agree with most of what has been written. I do feel though that breeding of Labradoodles in this country has to start somewhere. Despite the extensive examples of bad breeding cited in the article there is very little mention of the good breeders who are sadly being sidelined. As I'm sure the author is well aware there are good and bad breeders of every breed - not just the Labradoodle.
Importing Australian dogs can only be a good thing in the long term to increase the genepool and dilute the 'less desirable' traits in the English doodle. How exactly this will happen I have no idea - the proviso of an ESN contract is a big obstacle.

PennyAli

Post by PennyAli » 18 Jun 2007, 15:14

Yes you are right Chelsea, but there is nothing to stop us using dogs that have been thoroughly health tested and adding infusions ourselves and copying what they have already done, but only using the best example's of Labradoodles we produce for breeding :D
Last edited by PennyAli on 18 Jun 2007, 21:30, edited 1 time in total.

freedom

Post by freedom » 18 Jun 2007, 15:17

The idea of the ASD is that they be kept as a seperate breed and not crossed with the UK breeding, to avoid genetic congenital defects which are likely to appear in the UK lines due to all the indiscriminate breeding.

The UK is virtually flooded with first generation poor examples of Labradoodles and if indeed the breeders wish to develop a breed they need to move on in generations to validate their cause and as Lisa has said why not follow the lead of the Aussies, after all are they not the Doodle the majority of us fell in love with in the first place??
Last edited by freedom on 18 Jun 2007, 15:22, edited 1 time in total.

pinkydoo

Post by pinkydoo » 18 Jun 2007, 15:21

Does this mean those of you bredding ASD's will have to have both a dam and a sire from ASD lines?

chelsea

Post by chelsea » 18 Jun 2007, 15:33

I think that is what most of the established and reputable breeders are already doing and by promoting the need for health testing new breeders are following the example. The addition of other breeds into the labradoodle will follow, I am sure, but most UK bred labradoodles are still relatively low generations - from what I have read infusing is something that is done at a later stage, once the breed has become more established.
Somewhere along the way I must have misunderstood the reason for importing the Australian dogs. I thought they were being brought into this country as an infusion to improve the Uk labradoodle not as a separate breed :?:

PennyAli

Post by PennyAli » 18 Jun 2007, 15:40

There are two groups of Aussie dogs those directly from Rutland Manor and Tegan Park are now referred to as ASD's which are only permitted to go to ASD's and their are those from the International Australian Labradoodle Association which although are Australian Labradoodles can go to into the English Labradoodle breeding programme

chelsea

Post by chelsea » 18 Jun 2007, 15:45

:D Thanks Lisa I didn't know that. I'm even more confused now though as I have recently met a doodle from Aussie lines (I think Rutland)backcrossed to a poodle :?

Are the imports from IALA subject to ESN contracts too :?:

PennyAli

Post by PennyAli » 18 Jun 2007, 16:23

Yes the pet quality puppy's have to be ESN as this is a requirement of the IALA but this is to stop indiscriminate breeding so that only the best dogs go forward for breeding and once breeding stock have been retired they also get done, once ASD's are put to other Labradoodles or other breeds the owners can no longer belong to ASD, I think? It all gets very confusing :?

frosty

Post by frosty » 18 Jun 2007, 18:48

It is all very confusing to say the least, but like Chelsea said you have to start somewhere..... Think the article is pretty well written Carole G :wink: :wink: , but there is definately too much of a slant towards bad breeders and no mention of good ones anywhere.....makes it sound like most labradoodles bred in the UK are from crap unhealthy dogs, and look like Mutts which is a bit unfair IMO.
"The reason dogs have so many friends is because they wag their tails instead of their tongues."

Sharon

Post by Sharon » 18 Jun 2007, 18:49

Whilst I know this thread has not been started to cause any offence, I can't help but feeling that Carole G's article will upset many an F1 owner here in the UK.... many of whom post on or read this forum. :(

Call me a cynic but I do wonder if Carole's disapproval of F1's and approval of the Aussie doodles is more to do with her utter despair at the standard poodle (her breed) being used for the breeding of Labradoodles in the UK and not for any other reason.

At the same time, too many poor eg's of the doodle are being bred by too many unscrupulous breeders of course, and I agree that
something has to be done about this.
For a start, breeders would do well not to breed an F1 with another F1. It goes without saying that all health checks are an absolute must - but then again, there are plenty of those in the pedigree dog world who do not carry out the correct health checks, many of whom still do very well in the show ring. :shock: Dodgy breeding is not exclusive to Labradoodles remember. :wink:

I also do not wish to see the desexing of very young puppies - which is a stipulation of the Aussie doodle breeders (what on earth is this "service dogs" thing all about anyway ? :? ) - become a common procedure in this country .....

I firmly believe that those responsible UK labradoodle breeders have every chance of breeding a true to type breed eventually
and I don't see why those who have spent years establishing their own lines should now be made to feel that the only way forward is to import an Aussie doodle.

LouBeale

Post by LouBeale » 18 Jun 2007, 19:02

Whilst I agree with most of what has been said, I cannot agree with ESN, which is why I did not continue with my Aussie import. I have very strong ethics about ESN and I cannot abide by any contract which enforces me to do it. I have given sound advice to all my pup owners about neutering at the right time but ESN is a definite no no from my own point of view. Whilst I appreciate the Aussie doods there is always going to be a place for the ones that dont' fit 'the standard' not everybody wants a high maintenance coat that needs constant grooming and clipping!

IMO the variation in the UK doods is wonderful and meets the expectations of those who take them on. I really couldn't give a ....... about kennel club status, as long as people make sure the necessary health checks have been carried out on the parents and they don't buy from evil puppy farmers etc.

GUNNER

Post by GUNNER » 18 Jun 2007, 19:28

Sharon wrote:Whilst I know this thread has not been started to cause any offence, I can't help but feeling that Carole G's article will upset many an F1 owner here in the UK.... many of whom post on or read this forum. :(
:(

Why didn't Carole post this letter herself on here :?: and isn't this a pro labradoodle site not anti :evil: The end of the penultimate paragraph in that article i do find unnecessary considering the majority of us have F1's :(

Xena

Post by Xena » 18 Jun 2007, 19:28

freedom wrote: The UK is virtually flooded with first generation poor examples of Labradoodles and if indeed the breeders wish to develop a breed they need to move on in generations to validate their cause and as Lisa has said why not follow the lead of the Aussies, after all are they not the Doodle the majority of us fell in love with in the first place??
I am the minority then :lol: Lou's teddie, daisy's bob, bean.. the list could go on :!:

I do however agree with most of caroles article