FB or Forum - which way to go?

General discussion on all labradoodle-related matters - anything not otherwise covered by specific forums on the site.
suebedo

FB or Forum - which way to go?

Post by suebedo » 19 Aug 2013, 10:50

Rhetorical question for me really but I've been looking at other sites recently as we are looking for dog friendly campsites on the south coast, near Chichester.

I've looked at a few other forums (doodle times and doodle mania) but both appear to have very little activity. They both have sections for holidays and days out though which I really liked.

FB has lots of different groups and it is nice to be able to view things whilst chatting to friends on your normal social media site. I've also set up a FB group to try and find some more doodle owners local to me so that our walks in this area can grow a bit as there are so few of us on the forum from the West London area.

However, FB for me has a real problem in that things get "lost" so easily. Barb has set up a FB group for dog friendly camp sites but it has only been going since June and already it takes ages to scroll through all the old posts to see if anyone has recommended a site near Chichester. There is no "filing system" on FB that allows you to categorise posts in specific areas whereas each thread is so much easier to see on a forum such as this one.

I suppose the reason for me saying all this is to say thanks to Mark for keeping things up and running for us all here. I for one am really grateful that this forum is not declining as the others appear to be doing and I think that a move to FB changes the nature of the conversations for the worse.

Also I'd like to ask (a really pretty please with big doggy licks from the doods) if we could have a dog friendly holiday and a dog friendly day out forum created please so that I can leave FB behind!!!

Liz!!

Re: FB or Forum - which way to go?

Post by Liz!! » 19 Aug 2013, 10:55

This is where digital falls down and the old methods stand up - Waterstone's has about 5 books on places to stay with dogs. We have two of them. I'll see if I can find them...
Lola is a UK Assistance Dog, trained to alert me for low blood sugar by Medical Detection Dogs (http://www.medicaldetectiondogs.org.uk)

suzi23173

Post by suzi23173 » 19 Aug 2013, 10:56

Yes please to the holiday sections- I don't use face book and I do always feel peeved when I can't see things people say are good. I did join for a while but wasn't comfortable with it- it's not for me.
Keep it all on here!
Love,
Suzi and Tess.
xxx

Barb

Post by Barb » 19 Aug 2013, 11:06

There is a search facility you can use on facebook. Just go to the group and put the word you are looking for (i.e. Chichester) in the search box. It will bring up any posts that have that word contained in it.

Liz!!

Post by Liz!! » 19 Aug 2013, 11:11

Ah, well the only one I can find is the Alastair Sawday one and it is only B&Bs etc - and the only one of those listed near Chichester is in Lymington.
Lola is a UK Assistance Dog, trained to alert me for low blood sugar by Medical Detection Dogs (http://www.medicaldetectiondogs.org.uk)

susieQ

Post by susieQ » 19 Aug 2013, 11:16

That would be a great idea. I love this site, easy to use and with super doggie people! Just don't get on it as much as I would like, as the hours whizz by when reading all the posts!!!

Personally I don't use FB as a relative had a really bad experience and it ruined a long-standing friendship she had. I can sort of see the good side of it, but don't understand why some people have to share absolutely everything they are doing! Whatever happened to privacy? Perhaps I'm just old-fashioned :roll:
Sue and Rosie

suebedo

Post by suebedo » 19 Aug 2013, 11:19

Barb wrote:There is a search facility you can use on facebook. Just go to the group and put the word you are looking for (i.e. Chichester) in the search box. It will bring up any posts that have that word contained in it.
Thanks Barb, I did use the search to find the post I needed but FB does seem to lose stuff (or it's hidden in the forest of stuff!!).

hockborn

Post by hockborn » 19 Aug 2013, 11:24

I agree. I think we should have a specific forum for dog friendly holiday places. There are lots of books around that have a list of dog friendly places however we all know what our dogs are like!! They need to be DOOD friendly. :lol: :lol: I would love to hear about tried and tested places by doodle owners and their recommendations so I know that if I took my 3 there it would be great. :D :D :D xxxx

GUNNER

Post by GUNNER » 19 Aug 2013, 11:32

suebedo wrote:Rhetorical question for me really but I've been looking at other sites recently as we are looking for dog friendly campsites on the south coast, near Chichester.

I've looked at a few other forums (doodle times and doodle mania) but both appear to have very little activity. They both have sections for holidays and days out though which I really liked.

FB has lots of different groups and it is nice to be able to view things whilst chatting to friends on your normal social media site. I've also set up a FB group to try and find some more doodle owners local to me so that our walks in this area can grow a bit as there are so few of us on the forum from the West London area.

However, FB for me has a real problem in that things get "lost" so easily. Barb has set up a FB group for dog friendly camp sites but it has only been going since June and already it takes ages to scroll through all the old posts to see if anyone has recommended a site near Chichester. There is no "filing system" on FB that allows you to categorise posts in specific areas whereas each thread is so much easier to see on a forum such as this one.

I suppose the reason for me saying all this is to say thanks to Mark for keeping things up and running for us all here. I for one am really grateful that this forum is not declining as the others appear to be doing and I think that a move to FB changes the nature of the conversations for the worse.

Also I'd like to ask (a really pretty please with big doggy licks from the doods) if we could have a dog friendly holiday and a dog friendly day out forum created please so that I can leave FB behind!!!
I totally understand what you are saying. I was a long time getting to facebook as I wasn't keen but it seems that is where the masses are and the best way to be able to reach those with sick Doods. Doodle Health Support has a forum as well but all the action is on the fb group. As for things getting lost, it was a worry of mine but with each new Doodle that joins and has a condition we need to follow there is a file on each one that can be referred back to so all the important stuff isn't lost and of course it is accessible to all in the group :D

suebedo

Post by suebedo » 19 Aug 2013, 12:20

I think we are the same Gunner - like I said somewhere (maybe here but memory has gone) I've set up a FB group for walks to go alongside this one on the forum. Didn't want to do it, but wanted to reach people that are not on here.

What scared me was that doodle mania seemed to have moved almost completely to FB and I'd hate to see that happen here!!

linny

Post by linny » 19 Aug 2013, 12:22

For reaching the public with items such as Doodle health FB seems to be of use but it's not for me .
Whilst there are lots of lovely people there...... there are also a load of loonies and some of the conversations beggar belief :shock: :shock:
There is also so much tittle tattle and I really do not wish to read what someone is having for breakfast/dinner /tea or supper :roll: :roll:
The forums like DT Doodle News are all like the Marie Celeste.........because folk abandoned ship :( :(
I too thank Mark for giving us a place to air and share our joys and worries and the opportunity to make new friends.
I hope this forum continues on and i'm sure if everyone stays loyal it will.
Face Book ? bah humbug.....not for this fuddy duddy :lol:

GUNNER

Post by GUNNER » 19 Aug 2013, 12:53

linny wrote:For reaching the public with items such as Doodle health FB seems to be of use but it's not for me .
Whilst there are lots of lovely people there...... there are also a load of loonies and some of the conversations beggar belief :shock: :shock:
Just to be clear Linny, you don't mean that the support group has a load of loonies with unbelievable conversations do you? Just fb in general :lol:

mhayhurst
Site Admin

Post by mhayhurst » 19 Aug 2013, 13:22

And lo, such a forum section was created - Dog-friendly Holidays and Days Out

Enjoy :)

linny

Post by linny » 19 Aug 2013, 13:28

GUNNER wrote:
linny wrote:For reaching the public with items such as Doodle health FB seems to be of use but it's not for me .
Just to be clear Linny, you don't mean that the support group has a load of loonies with unbelievable conversations do you? Just fb in general :lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Now that's an example of something wriitten out of context :oops:
I do mean FB in general :lol:

suebedo

Post by suebedo » 19 Aug 2013, 13:35

mhayhurst wrote:And lo, such a forum section was created - Dog-friendly Holidays and Days Out

Enjoy :)
Mark - I think I may just be a little bit in lurve :lol: :lol: :lol:
Thank you!