Doodle meet in Norfolk in October - maybe Holkham beach?

General discussion on all labradoodle-related matters - anything not otherwise covered by specific forums on the site.
techiebabe

Doodle meet in Norfolk in October - maybe Holkham beach?

Post by techiebabe » 30 Aug 2013, 17:36

Thanks to this wonderful forum I have discovered a wheelchair accessible, dog friendly holiday apartment near the beach! Our first holiday as a family of 3, I can't wait!

So, we will be in Norfolk from 19 - 26 October staying in Sheringham.

Would anyone like to meet up with us? Commodore will be 6 months old by then.

We would love to meet other doodles (and their humans) for a walk, maybe on Holkham Beach as it looks lovely there.

Is anyone around during that week who fancies it? and if so, which days are best for you?

At the moment we have no schedule apart from doing something to celebrate our wedding anniversary on 20th (can anyone recommend somewhere dog-friendly that does good food, maybe a nice pub?) and generally to chill the heck out! :lol:

*waves and wags*

susieQ

Re: Doodle meet in Norfolk in October - maybe Holkham beach?

Post by susieQ » 31 Aug 2013, 07:51

How lovely that you are getting away for a break - and to such a great area! I love the North Norfolk coast, and there are a lot of places that are dog friendly. The Lobster pub in Sheringham allows dogs - not sure how good the cooked food is as we just had a lunch there with dog and two grandkids in tow, very friendly, it was cold weather and they had a nice fire going.

Priory Maze gardens is quite good with a nice tea room but of course dogs aren't allowed inside the tea room but they are allowed in the gardens.

Kelling Reading Rooms (nr west Runton I think) very quaint, antique shop as well, does lovely cakes, but again doggie would have to be left in the car unless you sit in the garden.

Holkham beach is gorgeous! Have a lovely time - wish we could be there too!
Sue and Rosie

SallyV

Post by SallyV » 31 Aug 2013, 09:54

Hello Techiebabe,
I live a quite a bit inland from the Sheringham area, between Fakenham and Swaffham but I'm sure my two would love to have a meet up with Commodore.
Holkham beach is great for dogs and by October you're allowed to go on most of it and there is a cafe near the car park if you park at the Wells end.
I haven't been to a doodle meet for ages. The last one was at Bawsey Pits near Kings Lynn but that appears to be closed at the moment. I don't know if it will open up again by October.
I've heard that the Lifeboat at Thornham will allow dogs in the pub side and I think the same applies at The Hoste Arms in Burnham Market but probably best to give a quick call to double check! They are both nice places and will be quieter in October.
Post again when you think you'll be able to meet. I can meet on a Friday or weekend. I'll keep looking in for firm dates!
Sally, Effie and Inka.

cjp

Post by cjp » 31 Aug 2013, 20:36

Hi
We use this site to find dog friendly pubs - http://www.doggiepubs.org.uk/
we ate at The Crown a couple of times - cheap and cheerful pub grub - nothing special but okay.
Carol

Littlest hobo

Post by Littlest hobo » 01 Sep 2013, 14:49

I haven't been to a doodle meet for ages. The last one was at Bawsey Pits near Kings Lynn but that appears to be closed at the moment. I don't know if it will open up again by October.

hi, I heard its closed indefinitely, it became a parking hazard during the hot weather and then unfortunately two people drowned there.

I've heard that the Lifeboat at Thornham will allow dogs in the pub side and I think the same applies at The Hoste Arms in Burnham Market but probably best to give a quick call to double check! They are both nice places and will be quieter in October.

Lifeboat in Thornham has been taken over by Marco Pierre White, I'm not sure if they still accept dogs & I bet it's a bit pricey now. However, Titchwell Manor and Briarfields both welcome dogs in the bar. As do the White Horse, Holme next the sea. I think you would be hard pressed to find a pub that doesn't welcome a well behaved/loveable dog into the bar in that part of Norfolk.

Hope you have a great time, would be nice to meet you guys but we don't have a dog yet, we would have to borrow my folks Golden Retriever and get his fur permed ;-)

campfaz18

Post by campfaz18 » 01 Sep 2013, 22:33

We took Jacob to The Lord Nelson at Burnham Thorpe. It was very friendly and had an interesting history. Jacob laid out on the flagstones ( Nelson trod on) while we enjoyed a very large plate of scampi and chips.

Sorry this is probably in the wrong thread as it is nothing to do with a meet :oops:
Nat, Lynne and the boy Jacob

Bonbon

Post by Bonbon » 02 Sep 2013, 02:50

We're will you be staying??

We stayed at Church farm barns in Lingwood with good wheelchair access and good breakfast and dog friendly.

We now have puppies and have one little girl left if you know of any one in doodle land that may be looking for a pup at the moment.

If you give me your email address I will send you pictures of we're I stay so you have another option and good rates too for the area.

HarveyHound

Post by HarveyHound » 02 Sep 2013, 14:42

Hi there

We live in mid-Norfolk and are happy to have any excuse to go to the coast. Holkham is fab, and as Sally said, at that time of year it's good parking at Wells. You can walk as far as you like on the beach towards Holkham, then turn round and come back the same way or wind your way through the pine woods. The best thing about the Wells car park is the great dog-friendly beach cafe which does amazing cakes!

Another favourite walk of ours is from Overstrand to Cromer. Park at Overstrand beach car park, and you can walk along the cliff top to Cromer, then back along the beach. I've just been there this morning with Harvey and my boys and it was just beautiful. Another good dog-friendly cafe on the clifftop at Overstrand.

I'm around that week, Monday to Thursday, so wouldn't be able to meet up at the same time as Sally unfortunately. Harvey will be just coming up to a year then. He's mad as a hatter, so be prepared :lol:

Sally, you can't be that far from me, I'm just east of Dereham. Happy to meet up sometime!

Diane & Harvey
ImageImage

ClareV

Post by ClareV » 02 Sep 2013, 17:54

Hello all, just to say that there is a Norfolk doodlers Facebook page, so if you join them you could see if anyone is free to meet up when you are there? I go to Norfolk regularly, so joined the fb page in order to arrange a meet. However I have not got around to it yet.

My favourite walk in Norfolk is probably from Wells to Holkham via the woods, and then back via the beach. Wells itself is lovely.

If you do arrange a doodle meet, please post the details up on the forum as I hope to go to Norfolk for half term and it would be great to meet up. I stay with friends near Saxthorpe, so the coast is a half hour from me there.

Clare and Charlie x

HarveyHound

Post by HarveyHound » 02 Sep 2013, 18:58

I'm in the Norfolk doodlers facebook group, so if you decided on a definite time and date I could always post the event up for you and see who could come along.

Diane
ImageImage

Vincento

Post by Vincento » 02 Sep 2013, 20:23

Hi Techiebabe, We may be able to join you at Holkham...... :) Will have to check dates again nearer the time :)
Vince doodle ...you will always find him in the kitchen at parties ......

ImageImage

techiebabe

Post by techiebabe » 17 Oct 2013, 00:37

Hi! Am revisiting this thread because

a) I havent been able towork out schedule! but any free time will be on a week day next week in the afternoon, if any norfolk folk fancy meeting? Ill have internet, so message me and Ill give you my email and mobile?

b) Ive cocked up... thought I had our wedding anniversary meal sorted. Found a dog friendly place with wheelchair access & vegetarian options, sounded too good to be true... somehow I thought it was 30min from Sheringham but it is 2 hours away. Gutted. Trying not to cry. :cry: :( :cry:

So I need a nice place for our wedding anniversary dinner, this Sunday, within 30 min drive of Sheringham, needs to have a disabled toilet & provide a veggie option as well as being doodle friendly. Help! Anyone?

So upset that I had the perfect place and got it wrong. Dont want to let hubby down.

suzi23173

Post by suzi23173 » 17 Oct 2013, 08:06

Oh dear- don't despair!
Not sure of your budget but the only place I have heard of is tv chef Galton Blackiston's Morston Hall.

http://www.morstonhall.com
It's Michelin starred and posh but hey- you're celebrating!
Would definitely do veggie if you ask (I think it's a set menu?). They are quite dog friendly and allow dogs by arrangement and have kennels you can use free of charge for overnight but I'm sure they would allow it while you had dinner. Somewhere that size must have a loo for you so there you go- sorted!
I haven't been there myself but would love to. It says it's near Blakeney. Just a thought... Xxx
Love,
Suzi and Tess.
xxx

campfaz18

Post by campfaz18 » 17 Oct 2013, 09:17

Hi we went to Morston Hall for Sunday Lunch which was fantastic. It depends on the kind of food that you like. It is fancy and is a set menu and everyone eats at the same sitting. I'm sure there would be no problem with a veggie option. Aparently if there is something that you really hate or are alergic to then chef can adjust a dish.

Dogs are allowed to stay in rooms there and they do provide kennels in the grounds but I can't imagine you could take a doodle in to the dinning room.

There is a very large spacious conservatory for pre-dinner drinks or after! which I think would provide good wheelchair access to the dinning room. My memory is the main entrance to the dinning room was through some other rooms which may have been a little more cluttered but I'm sure a phone call (which would be needed to book) informing the restaurant of your access needs would put your mind at rest.

Dogs seem to be welcome in lots of pubs its just that sort of lovely, country, doggie part of the world.

We took Jacob to The White Horse at Brancaster which does nice food but is a pub. We ate outside though as it was warm. It might be worth ringing to check if they take dogs. Access would be OK as I remember again there is a large conservatory at the back but it needs to be accessed from the front of the pub.

Don't despair about not having found anywhere as i think if you make a few calls to check you will find a several options that you can access that take dogs and have veggie choices.

The Hoste Arms in Burnham Market allow dogs I think and is rather up market if you want a special meal.
Nat, Lynne and the boy Jacob

canteron

Post by canteron » 17 Oct 2013, 18:33

Oh, there are lots of dog friendly places, just trying to think of some on the coast.

Firstly, if the Wiveton Cafe is open then dogs are really welcome outside, it is wheelchair friendly and has the best views ever. If you need to be inside then best to give them a ring. It closes over Winter, but pretty sure it is open until the end of the month.
http://wivetonhall.co.uk/the-cafe

The Red Lion at Stiffkey is just lovely dogs can stay in their new rooms, it is very dog friendly. As it is a very old higgledy piggledy pub on a hill wheelchair access isn't quite so easy, but if you give them a ring/send them a quick email I am sure they will pop out to help/advise on the best entrance (it has many doors!)
http://www.stiffkey.com

The Wiveton Bell is also really lovely food, quite expensive and I seem to think dog friendly
http://www.wivetonbell.co.uk

And lastly, slightly less posh but the food is always good is the Dun Cow at Salthouse. You can't book tables in the bar but can in the back room,
http://www.salthouseduncow.com

Hope that helps!!