Potential new labradoodle owner

General discussion on all labradoodle-related matters - anything not otherwise covered by specific forums on the site.
jonb

Potential new labradoodle owner

Post by jonb » 19 Sep 2013, 16:14

I've been doing some research into the possibility of getting a labradoodle puppy and think i've got to the point now where i'm going round in circles reading different answers to questions and just confusing myself so some real world advice from owners is probably needed. I've been keen on the idea of a dog for a number of years having never had one but been around them since i was a kid. Wife wasnt so keen initially but her brother has had a dog for around 6 months now and after spending some time with their dog is now thinking its not a bad idea after all.

I didnt really have an idea as to what we wanted to get initially but after a bit of looking around i fell for labradoodles and started reading up on them. They appear to be the kind of dog we are after as we want a dog that will be good with kids as and when they arrive, trainable and also, once grown up, will enjoy being out and about on walks etc.

What i want to know really is :-

I keep reading about the three different sizes i also read that people seem to end up with miniatures that are actually quite big etc. Whilst i'm not wanting something resembling a small horse laid out in the living room of an evening we'd prefer not to have something that is quite small. Is there any advice as to what to look for in terms of getting an idea as to how big the dog would be?

I've read about the taking care in terms of over exercising a young dog but once grown would they enjoy going on long walks of say 8/10/12 miles in the countryside or would this be to much? Would a smaller dog struggle with longer walks compared to a bigger dog? We're lucky to live quite close to some fabulous countryside on the outskirts of Chesterfield in Derbyshire and we like to get out and about when we can and with me packing in playing football the additional time and exercise getting out there with a companion would be great.

Is there anyone in the Chesterfield\Derbyshire area that someone would recommend in terms of breeder? Ideally i would also like to visit someone and meet older dogs to get an idea of how they are to be sure they are the kind of dog we would like to have. Whilst you can do all the reading you want up front nothing beats the experience of meeting a real life dog to get an idea.

Thanks for reading and i'm sure this is another new owner advice thread but all help much appreciated.

norton1989

Re: Potential new labradoodle owner

Post by norton1989 » 19 Sep 2013, 17:31

Hi,

I have a Miniture / Medium 50/50 dood, he is about the size of a springer spaniel. Therfore once grown walking in Derbyshire will be fine.

I live just over the Derby / Notts border [near to Ikea, J26 M1], you would be more than welcome to visit and check my Henry out and see if he would fit in. He was bought from Courtlands who are near to Monmouth in Wales, a long drive but believe me he is worth it.

Andy.

Bid

Post by Bid » 19 Sep 2013, 17:40

I reckon most small dogs could do as much as large dogs but their owners don't let them! A friend of mine has 2 goldies and a chihuahua, and they all do long walks :D Dogs are pretty much like us, in that if you build them up to it they can do long walks, but if you suddenly take them on a 10 mile hike and all they are used to is a quick 30 mins down the road, they will struggle. Having said that, I think a light poodley doodle will cope better long term with long distance walking than a heavy labby doodle.
www.dogtrekker.co.uk
Beauty without vanity, strength without insolence, courage without ferocity, and all the virtues of man without his vices - Byron

Liz!!

Post by Liz!! » 19 Sep 2013, 17:51

Lola is a Courtlands dood actually. She will walk (well actually, run, round and round and up and down and in and out...) over a 3 hour walk no problem. that's as long as we have been for, but I'm guessing it must have been that distance...

You can't do that straight away though, not for a year.
Lola is a UK Assistance Dog, trained to alert me for low blood sugar by Medical Detection Dogs (http://www.medicaldetectiondogs.org.uk)

Doodle Dee

Post by Doodle Dee » 19 Sep 2013, 18:01

Lulu is F1 miniTURE and she is small but rough coated, She will walk for as long as you let her - although the longest I have walked her was around 2 1/2 hours but I would take her longer and I believe she would be okay - just well tired at the end of it as would I
Lulu & Dx

ImageImage

froglover

Post by froglover » 19 Sep 2013, 18:25

we have just got an 11 month old doodle from a couple who could no longer care for him,it was nice after getting a puppy before to actually see what you are getting as it were,lots available on gumtree/preloved :D

Ben

Post by Ben » 19 Sep 2013, 21:57

I have 3 doodles, large medium, small medium and a big standard. They all manage 8-10 mile walks when we have our dog walking holidays, but I don't do it until they are over 12 months.
I got two of my doodles from 'cream of british'

Ianto!

Post by Ianto! » 19 Sep 2013, 23:57

Hi jonb,
We've got a medium 'doodle, 11 months old who came from Caitlin Labradoodles in Cumbria. Again, a long way but worth it. They're bred in a home environment. We are also on the outskirts of Chesterfield... will PM you.
Anne & Ianto x

Roodlepippin

Post by Roodlepippin » 20 Sep 2013, 09:47

I'd second everything people have said. We got Woody at 8 weeks from Lucy at Notjustanyoldlabradoodles (Clun, in Shropshire) and he's now 7 months and a beautiful dog with a really gentle, happy-go-lucky temperament.

Pups are lovely and - personally - I think it's easier to bond with a pup because they're not grieving for a previous owner and / or arriving with behavioural problems or unwanted habits that are well-entrenched.

HOWEVER... the puppy stage is very, very hard work - almost as full-on as having a new human baby - and the 'teenage' stage that follows it is equally challenging and goes on until they are 2+. So if you decide to get a puppy, be sure you know what you're letting yourself in for!

Its also worth pointing out that you'll need to consider how long the dog can be left for, something I sort of knew in theory but wasn't quite prepared for in practice. So, if you're very active and outdoorsy, or in the habit of being out all weekend doing your own activities, you will need to have a strategy in place for when you can't take the dog (or when the pup is too little to walk the sort of distances you want to do). It means 18 months or 2 years of not being away from home for more than 3-4 hours at a time, or arranging for someone else to meet the dog's needs while you're away. Again, I knew all of this in theory, but I didn't really understand the practicalities till my plans to go to Brighton for my day were scuppered by the need to be at home at midday to let the dog out!

Woody is about 25kg and 24 inches to the shoulder, and he's probably got a couple more inches and another few more kg to add. He looks like a very long legged, slender golden retriever with a shaggy face and beard. He does shed (many doodles don't) but he needs virtually no grooming and dirt just falls out of his coat as it dries (the amazing teflon dog!).

When we went to see Lucy we saw both his mum (working lab) and his dad (apricot standard poodle) and they were both active, bouncy, energetic and quite big dogs, so we had a reasonable idea of what we were getting! But there are loads of photos of previous pups on her website which will give you an idea of just how much doodles can vary, even within the same litter.

Hope all this helps and sorry for the essay. I did a lot of reading beforehand and I felt I ended up knowing a lot but not really having a clue too! Good luck!

jonb

Post by jonb » 20 Sep 2013, 16:03

Thanks for the information guys...plenty there to digest and take on board.

jonb

Post by jonb » 13 Nov 2013, 17:18

Hi Guys,

After some careful pondering and research we are moving along with our plan to get a Labradoodle puppy and we're going over to see Jane at Coniston Doodles near Spalding who has some Chocolate coloured medium size pups that will be ready for new homes in a few weeks.

I'd been thinking that i wouldnt go along with the plan of wanting a male or female pup and more looking at personalities etc of the dog. However you do see advice saying females are better choices than males or listing pro's and con's of each sex.

Did anyone on here decide either way before hand want sex they wanted or was it just a case of picking the dog based on its personality etc?

AustinsMumma

Post by AustinsMumma » 13 Nov 2013, 17:27

Hiya Jon

I think everyone is different
EVERY dog I have ever had has been male
Don't know why, no reasoning behind it I guess, just how it is
And I picked the sex before I even looked at them

Maybe I like the idea of 'my little boy', or 'my little soldier' as I call them
Who knows

Maybe one train of thought at the back of my mind is spaying is a bigger deal for girlie dogs, or they come in to season etc.. which in itself puts me off
I don't really know. But I always see myself with a little boy dog

Also, thinking about it, all my cats have been male too. How.. odd...

I like the boys. What can I say lol :lol: :wink:

Jo x
Austin Doodle came to town riding on a pony......
Austin's profession?... Eating Mummy's STEAK
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Ianto!

Post by Ianto! » 13 Nov 2013, 20:22

Hi jon,

Glad to see that you're considering a 'dood... they're amazing companions! I've always had male dogs, except for a female Yorkie when the kids were young as I was worried a male might be snappy... she was perfect.

With Ianto though, I'd decided before he was born that I'd like a black, male, medium-sized doodle. Luckily for me, there was one black male in the litter and even though we weren't at the top of the list - he was ours! :D I know the advice is to let your puppy choose you and if you are open to this, I'd go with it. Couldn't help myself though!

BTW, there are at least two lots of Doodle Meets you'd be able to get to - East Midlands & South and West Yorkshire Labradoodle Meets so your little 'dood is going to have loads of pals!! Let us know when she/he has picked you -

Anne & Ianto x

edited to add: P.S. ensure that you see all the health certificates re: eyes, hips and elbows...

jonb

Post by jonb » 13 Nov 2013, 23:10

Thanks guys

Anne...we are going to look at some f1b chocolate medium pups as it happens. In terms of what I have wanted a medium sized Doodle was about the only thing I'd really decided ahead of time so these guys are a perfect fit for that. The breeder seems to get good reviews and recommendations as well.

If all goes well once we're settled I'll keep an eye out for the meets.