Potential new labradoodle owner

General discussion on all labradoodle-related matters - anything not otherwise covered by specific forums on the site.
Post Reply
Samdunn
Posts: 339
Joined: 02 Jan 2014, 23:20
Location: Glasgow

Re: Potential new labradoodle owner

Post by Samdunn » 19 Feb 2014, 14:52

Sam gets called a spaniel ALL the time. Today someone said "are you SURE he's a labradoodle?". Well, yes!!. I kinda like spaniels too so no biggy. Sam seems quite calm for a puppy, he has bursts of excitement at park when he sees other dogs and when people stop to talk to him but mostly he's happy wandering around house snoozing in the several beds he has ( bought cheap ones for up and downstairs cos he likes to be wherever we are and I got fed up dragging his bed around!). He snoozes in living room with us from about 9, then into crate at 11 ish after a pee and he usually wakes 6 ish for pee and poo then back to sleep. He does like to chew things dotted around house but is pretty good with the leave command so if um around he's happy to swap for one of his chews.

jonb
Posts: 352
Joined: 19 Sep 2013, 12:09

Re: Potential new labradoodle owner

Post by jonb » 19 Feb 2014, 15:18

Benben wrote:His coat's very similar to Ursa's - her coat's probably not quite so long, but the waviness and texture is very similar. (She's just back from the groomers in this picture, so she looks much tidier than usual!) His head is similar too - Ursa's head is quite spanielly at the moment, and certainly broader in the muzzle than her poodle forebears. There's also a very clear break at the end of the nose and before the dome of the cranium, rather than the gradual slope from muzzle to skull.

It's funny how, at 16 weeks, she's suddenly not so clearly a puppy any more - I've had to explain to people surprised by her sudden explosions of excitement that she's still very young. Until very recently she was obviously a little 'un; now she does look a bit like a fully-grown spaniel (albeit a spaniel with small ears).
Its strange how Roker was very different to the other 4 or 5 in the litter that appear to be smaller and have a far curlier coat than him.

We've had similar with Roker in the last couple of weeks in that he seems to have grown quite a lot and probably looks older than he actually is. I've had a few looks of surprise from other dog owners whilst out walking when i say how old he is as he's breaking his neck to play with their dogs or passers by as he dives to go and play with them! To be fair the excitement when with other dogs has been there from the start, when i took him in for his second jab he refused to stop trying and taking on a Bull Mastiff that was in the vets waiting room and the brother in laws 18 month old Bichon refuses to be in the same room as him and goes to hide from him!!

Benben
Posts: 247
Joined: 29 Dec 2013, 12:04

Re: Potential new labradoodle owner

Post by Benben » 19 Feb 2014, 17:11

jonb wrote: We've had similar with Roker in the last couple of weeks in that he seems to have grown quite a lot and probably looks older than he actually is. I've had a few looks of surprise from other dog owners whilst out walking when i say how old he is as he's breaking his neck to play with their dogs or passers by as he dives to go and play with them! To be fair the excitement when with other dogs has been there from the start, when i took him in for his second jab he refused to stop trying and taking on a Bull Mastiff that was in the vets waiting room and the brother in laws 18 month old Bichon refuses to be in the same room as him and goes to hide from him!!
Haha! Yes, that resonates! Ursa has been learning, to give her credit, and has got better at judging when her bonkers bouncing and spinning round in circles isn't going down terribly well with some poor old dog in the park. It's at that point that I apologise and explain that she's just a puppy, and lots of people then realise that she's much younger than she seems. Since she's generally rolling around on her back in abject submission with a big grin on her face it's actually pretty clear...
Samdunn wrote:Sam seems quite calm for a puppy, he has bursts of excitement at park when he sees other dogs and when people stop to talk to him but mostly he's happy wandering around house snoozing in the several beds he has ( bought cheap ones for up and downstairs cos he likes to be wherever we are and I got fed up dragging his bed around!). He snoozes in living room with us from about 9, then into crate at 11 ish after a pee and he usually wakes 6 ish for pee and poo then back to sleep. He does like to chew things dotted around house but is pretty good with the leave command so if um around he's happy to swap for one of his chews.
Ursa's the same: pretty calm at home (except when the poor cat is subject to one of her mad explosions of bouncing and play-fighting, poor thing) and then will explode with energy in the park. It's okay in the enclosed field, but a bit nerve-wracking in the little park close by; it's too close to the road for my liking really. We've been working on "leave" (using the clicker, which is brilliant) and she's actually been incredibly good about chewing what I give her rather than random treasured objects.
Ursa: born 28.10.13

ImageImage

jonb
Posts: 352
Joined: 19 Sep 2013, 12:09

Re: Potential new labradoodle owner

Post by jonb » 24 Feb 2014, 15:11

It wasnt me that chewed the cushion...honestly it wasnt!! And who am i to not believe such as innocent looking doodle!!

Image

Ianto!
Posts: 3307
Joined: 09 May 2013, 00:38
Location: N. E. Derbyshire

Re: Potential new labradoodle owner

Post by Ianto! » 24 Feb 2014, 18:43

Nope, still can't see him! How do we know he's actually been up to the things he's accused of, if we can't see the evidence?? Poor lad... :roll:

Anne & Ianto x

jonb
Posts: 352
Joined: 19 Sep 2013, 12:09

Re: Potential new labradoodle owner

Post by jonb » 25 Feb 2014, 09:32

Ianto! wrote:Nope, still can't see him! How do we know he's actually been up to the things he's accused of, if we can't see the evidence?? Poor lad... :roll:

Anne & Ianto x
No idea why that one hasnt worked!! Anyone would think that i didnt work in IT!! :?

Let me try again!! I'll just go with a link to the photo this time!!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ynsn2qzuav8k5 ... 69_iOS.jpg

jonb
Posts: 352
Joined: 19 Sep 2013, 12:09

Re: Potential new labradoodle owner

Post by jonb » 25 Feb 2014, 13:10

Given up trying to use a couple of the picture storage things i have and got a PhotoBucket account...hopefully this will work now!!

Image

dexysback
Posts: 933
Joined: 15 May 2013, 20:35

Re: Potential new labradoodle owner

Post by dexysback » 25 Feb 2014, 14:09

He is so cute ,he is growing into a lovely looking boy.
ImageImage

jonb
Posts: 352
Joined: 19 Sep 2013, 12:09

Re: Potential new labradoodle owner

Post by jonb » 25 Feb 2014, 14:34

dexysback wrote:He is so cute ,he is growing into a lovely looking boy.
He most definitely has the cute look if general reaction is anything to go by....walked to the shop with him last night and one of the assistants refused to let me leave with him until she'd served the rest of the queue and come out to have a fuss of him!

He is most certainly growing as well!! Was 20 weeks on Sunday and already not that far off what the breeder suggested she thought he would get to. She reckoned he would be 17" to 19" tall...he was 16"'ish last week!

Ianto!
Posts: 3307
Joined: 09 May 2013, 00:38
Location: N. E. Derbyshire

Re: Potential new labradoodle owner

Post by Ianto! » 25 Feb 2014, 17:24

Well worth the wait! Love the centre-parting :D

ianto says that cushion looks like it's a bit frayed, is all - not in the least bit chewed... :roll:

Anne & Ianto x

jonb
Posts: 352
Joined: 19 Sep 2013, 12:09

Re: Potential new labradoodle owner

Post by jonb » 25 Feb 2014, 17:32

Ianto! wrote:Well worth the wait! Love the centre-parting :D
It spikes up into a Mohican style look as well which can be quite amusing!
Ianto! wrote:ianto says that cushion looks like it's a bit frayed, is all - not in the least bit chewed... :roll:
Well it was chewed to make it look frayed!! :wink:

jonb
Posts: 352
Joined: 19 Sep 2013, 12:09

Re: Potential new labradoodle owner

Post by jonb » 25 Feb 2014, 17:40

Whilst i remember his other new one....collecting sticks that are nearly as big as him whilst out walking, carrying them home and then decimating them outside the back door so it looks like the scene of a mass bush murder!!

Image

jonb
Posts: 352
Joined: 19 Sep 2013, 12:09

Re: Potential new labradoodle owner

Post by jonb » 06 Apr 2014, 18:53

Time flies...this guy is 6 months old today!

Doesn't seen like yesterday since we brought the little pup on the left home!!

Image

Ianto!
Posts: 3307
Joined: 09 May 2013, 00:38
Location: N. E. Derbyshire

Re: Potential new labradoodle owner

Post by Ianto! » 06 Apr 2014, 19:39

Hi Roker,
Didn't see you at the Pugneys Doodle Meet today - you missed out on some real muddy fun! Tell your lot to pull their socks up and get you there! :D
Ianto x

jonb
Posts: 352
Joined: 19 Sep 2013, 12:09

Re: Potential new labradoodle owner

Post by jonb » 06 Apr 2014, 20:06

Ianto! wrote:Hi Roker,
Didn't see you at the Pugneys Doodle Meet today - you missed out on some real muddy fun! Tell your lot to pull their socks up and get you there! :D
Ianto x
He's been busy today running around the fields near us and watching me sort the fence to stop him jumping out of the garden!! He did have a great time up at Ashover Rock yesterday.

Post Reply