including the UK Labradoodle Register
email: info@labradoodle.org.uk
It is currently 18 Jun 2019, 15:36

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 117 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: Potential new labradoodle owner
PostPosted: 30 Apr 2014, 09:07 

Well rather unexpectedly last night we had Rokers first non cage night!! It wasnt planned at all but about half 9 he wandered off into the dining room and plonked himself on the settee in there which is quite big and comfy. The light was off in there and i popped my head in a few times to see how he was and he started off playing with his rope chew toy then later on he was asleep. We both wandered past and he didnt move so about 11ish i set up the camera thing i have on my iPhone\iPad, turned the lights off and shut the door. Hung around for another half hour or so but he seemed fine so went to bed leaving the camera thing up and running a bit like a baby monitor.

All in all i think he slept better than me as i kept waking to the smallest sound and this morning i checked as i the room was light enough to see him and he was flat out on the settee looking very comfy. I had a shower, got dressed and just as i was about to go downstairs he finally had a prod at the door knowing i was up and about but by the time i went down and opened the door he was just sat a few feet back waiting for me.

Not sure whats happened but in the space of a few days whilst we went away he has changed into a different dog. Before he would only ever settle in his cage and when out would just wander about all over the place. Since going away and not sure if its being with the Beagle our friends have who is a very chilled out dog he is more than happy to flake out where ever and relax. I did the usual owner thing going through all sorts in my head as to whether he is ok etc but i genuinely think he is just calming down as he gets older.

One thing from when we were away, our friends Beagle suffers from fits and whilst the medication she is on does a good job of controlling it she still has them now and again. About 6am on Saturday morning Roker was barking like mad in his cage and we didnt know why until our friend went down and found Beau just recovering from a minor fit. I went down and got Roker and calmed him down but as soon as i let him go the first thing he did was go over to Beau and gently sniffed her and seemed to check she was ok and he just knew something had been wrong and wanted to know his mate was ok. For an hour or so that morning he barely left her side!

PostPosted: 30 Apr 2014, 11:31 

Hi, we got rid of cage for Sam after we came back holiday a few weeks ago and realised he was as happy on floor on blanket than crate and as he's pretty reliable on the toilet front ( apart from incident at my mothers yesterday!) tried it out and he's been great, plus he sleeps longer as he can get up and stretch legs a bit before going back to sleep. Well done Roker!

PostPosted: 30 Apr 2014, 14:05 

He seems to have figured our plan out and beat us to the punch! We had planned on nurturing him out of the crate when we move house as we thought a new regime in a new house would be much easier. Anyhows...we shall see what happens tonight as yesterday came on the back of being away all weekend and my other half was still off yesterday so he spent all afternoon outside in the garden in the sun. Today is the first day he is back in the normal routine with us both back at work.

PostPosted: 02 May 2014, 16:15 

Sounds like Roker found a womderful family. How old is he now?

PostPosted: 06 May 2014, 08:50 

He's 7 months old today and has become a completely different dog after our weekend in Scarborough. He really used to struggle to settle and since we got back he is now more than happy to flake out and be calm very much like both of his parents were. We also took him out with the brother in law and his Bichon yesterday and before they would wind each other up but yesterday they walked fine together and when we went to the pub after he just laid on the floor without a care in the world.

We havent had another night out of the cage since that first one because now he keeps wandering off and putting himself in the crate to go to sleep as i think he prefers it in there. I have put one of his big comfy beds back in there that he used to chew but hasnt touched since i popped it back in.

My wife who wasnt the biggest dog person about 8 months ago has now turned completely and whilst we were away mentioned the possibility of a second dog once we've moved house to the new place we've bought which is bigger and has a bigger garden. :shock:

PostPosted: 06 May 2014, 18:37 

My wife who wasnt the biggest dog person about 8 months ago has now turned completely and whilst we were away mentioned the possibility of a second dog once we've moved house to the new place we've bought which is bigger and has a bigger garden. :shock:[/quote]

Thats always the way it goes. I had a friend that never liked dogs she was a total cat person. Then when my youngest daughter was born she moved in with us to look after her while we were at work. At that time we had just got a border colliex american collie puppy. She fell head over heals in love with that dog she would walk him everyday and brush him he was about 25kg so not small he looked like a black and white lassie dog.she lived with us untill my youngest daughter turned 12. She was very sad to move away from her beloved Collie but we loved him as well. She visited often and about 2 years ago He passed away from old age my youngest daughter will be 19yrs old in september. Time flys my friend also passed away about a year after Destiny (collie) she was only 57yrs old. Sometime I wonder if she passed due to Destiny passing she talked about him all the time. She stopped going for her long walks and seemed to go down hill health wise after he passed. That goes to show you that even someone that hated dogs can fall in love with them.

PostPosted: 06 Oct 2014, 12:35 

Well after what seems like only 10mins ago starting this thread our boy is 1 today!!

PostPosted: 06 Oct 2014, 13:23 

Happy 1st Birthday Roker - hope you are being spoiled rotten :D

PostPosted: 06 Oct 2014, 13:39 

Masil wrote:
Happy 1st Birthday Roker - hope you are being spoiled rotten :D

My wife has bought him a "Doggy Birthday Cake" for after his tea tonight! :roll:

PostPosted: 06 Oct 2014, 18:13 

Happy birthday, Roker- you've just reminded me that I used to go to Durham each year for my hols as a child- I 'm sure I've been to the beach at Roker- didn't it have ' Seaburn & ' as a prefix?? And did it have a funfair?? I seem to remember a Big Dipper ??

PostPosted: 06 Oct 2014, 18:54 

It's up that neck of the woods. He's named after Sunderlands old ground as my wife supports them.

PostPosted: 06 Oct 2014, 20:07 

Happy 1st Birthday.

PostPosted: 06 Oct 2014, 23:21 

Happy Birthday, Roker! You've grown into a handsome young dood...! :D
Anne & Ianto x

PostPosted: 16 Dec 2014, 17:00 

Well it was a year to the day since we picked him up yesterday....amazing how much he has developed in this time and what a great personality he is. Been tough at times especially trying to house train in December, spent a lot of time in the back yard in the rain and cold, but all very rewarding and worth it.

He's been spoilt rotten for xmas by my wife starting with his advent calendar :roll: then he gets to spend the new year running around the beaches of Nth Yorkshire..cant wait for a couple of weeks off to get him out and about!

PostPosted: 16 Dec 2014, 21:06 

Happy birthday rocker ,that's gone quick I rember your post when you were going to fetch him.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 117 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next