Hands up if you cried

General discussion on all labradoodle-related matters - anything not otherwise covered by specific forums on the site.
molsp

Hands up if you cried

Post by molsp » 14 Oct 2013, 21:04

At the channel 4 programme tonight. I did several times - poor little mites

suebedo

Re: Hands up if you cried

Post by suebedo » 14 Oct 2013, 21:08

Me too! I want to see what my two do now but there again, I don't want to get upset. I think that they just go off to sleep, I hope so anyway!

Bid

Post by Bid » 14 Oct 2013, 21:15

I did - at the little schnauzer :( :(

Mine don't even lift their sleepy heads off the sofa when we go out :lol: :lol: Probably grateful for the peace & quiet! :roll:
www.dogtrekker.co.uk
Beauty without vanity, strength without insolence, courage without ferocity, and all the virtues of man without his vices - Byron

Doodle Dee

Post by Doodle Dee » 14 Oct 2013, 22:05

oh it was horrid - I asked 'im indoors if we can check and he said no.

How would you be able to tell though if they had the quiet separation anxiety ?
Lulu & Dx

ImageImage

Emily&molly

Post by Emily&molly » 14 Oct 2013, 22:09

It was really sad! Although I'm pretty sure Molly just sleeps most of the time we are out! I do find it a bit hard to believe that only looking at 40 dogs, means that the average works out that 85% of all dogs in the UK have some form of separation anxiety... Watching some of those dogs was ver distressing though, poor poppets!

Liz!!

Post by Liz!! » 14 Oct 2013, 22:44

Oh, yes, I did. Lola barks, and whines, and when we left her for 2 hours one night she got colic. So we don't leave her at all now.
Lola is a UK Assistance Dog, trained to alert me for low blood sugar by Medical Detection Dogs (http://www.medicaldetectiondogs.org.uk)

Oscar2011

Post by Oscar2011 » 14 Oct 2013, 22:48

Bid wrote:I did - at the little schnauzer :( :(

Mine don't even lift their sleepy heads off the sofa when we go out :lol: :lol: Probably grateful for the peace & quiet! :roll:

But have you ever filmed them to find out, three doods just sleeping :o :?

Would need to see the proof :lol:

Oscar & hoomans.

Mens sana in corpore sano.

Crazy flying dog,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3n5aKvfznuQ

Life of a Labradoodle,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rWFkOb39sv4

molsp

Post by molsp » 14 Oct 2013, 22:54

Must have been really hard for the owners to witness.

I might set up a webcam, to see how ours get on, that cant be too tricky,

briansangel

Post by briansangel » 14 Oct 2013, 23:06

I wouldnt of got poppy if i had to leave her for longer than 4 hours a day and that is rare as i work nights and hubby works shifts so she is rarely left alone for longer than 2 hours but im still tempted to set up a camera.. Heartbreaking... My neighbours dog is left alone for 10 hours every day they say hes ok but i see and hear him barking at the window breaks my heart when im taking poppy out for a run on the beach and hes trapped indoors xxx
ImageImage

Bid

Post by Bid » 14 Oct 2013, 23:11

Oscar2011 wrote:
Bid wrote:I did - at the little schnauzer :( :(

But have you ever filmed them to find out, three doods just sleeping :o :?

Would need to see the proof :lol:
Well, I've not filmed them, but the window cleaner tells me that they don't even get up when he cleans the windows :lol: :lol: They are VERY laid back! I don't go to them straight away when I get home, so I know they are on the sofa then :wink:
www.dogtrekker.co.uk
Beauty without vanity, strength without insolence, courage without ferocity, and all the virtues of man without his vices - Byron

linny

Post by linny » 14 Oct 2013, 23:16

Yes, I had a cry too.
I think mine spend time alone getting up to mischief......things like stealing yummies that I have forgotten to move .....usually the biscuit tin. or sorting the clean washing from the basket if I forget to take it out of the kitchen :roll:
Jethro has now become a very proficient counter surfur so I'm thinking of setting a "Bid 's trap" (ask her about it :lol: ) ......would love to be a fly on the wall when he sets it off.....

norton1989

Post by norton1989 » 15 Oct 2013, 01:00

This was so very sad and really made me think.

Regular contributors to this forum may remember me asking advice last year about if I should let my Henry go to another home after my wife died and I had to return to work. The advice generally was that I should keep him as he would be good for me [and he is] and he was where he was settled, after all I had him from 8 weeks old.

I am now beginning to think that perhaps it wasn't such a good decision as he may have anxiety [not displayed in any way] although I do pay a walker to come in half way through my shift.

I had to leave for my night shift half an hour after the program and I felt so guilty.

If only I could read his little doodle mind. I really must stop watching programs like this.

Andy.

Bid

Post by Bid » 15 Oct 2013, 09:27

Yes - stop watching them Andy! You get a dog walker to come in, so Henry not only gets human interaction during your absence, but probably dog friends to play with too. This means he has something to look forward to, and afterwards he will be tired. A tired dog is a happy dog, and a happy dog is a relaxed dog.
www.dogtrekker.co.uk

Fizzbw

Post by Fizzbw » 15 Oct 2013, 11:24

It was very sad :(

What disturbed me slightly was the dog who had another dog with it yet still displayed separation anxiety. I had always thought that two or more dogs would be happier on their own than one dog.....

My two are usually fine on their own. They sleep most of the time. We have trained Alfie from the beginning to be ok on his own for a few hours. My greyhoundy lurcher has some issues when left all on her own if she knows that doodle Alfie is out on a walk or thinks hes doing something exciting. She is a lot better these days but she used to randomly eat or chews stuff that is mine usually though she once ate a pack of chocolate covered raisins from the dining room table when left on her own....vet visit was fun as I was on my own and had to get a friend to rush over to take me (I can't drive).

When I'm not there she also displays some anxiety, being very quiet and subdued. Luckily I rarely go anywhere other than hospital occasionally. She loves my parents but she is very much "my" dog.

She's not one for long walks, gets happy for the first km then starts whinging to go home! Which is why Alfie goes out without her.

I wish more people in general would get a properly qualified behaviourist to help them train their dogs.

Niki x

thepadster

Post by thepadster » 15 Oct 2013, 11:33

10 hours a day - mein gott! That's illegal isn't it?

I'm pretty sure Paddy is OK when left alone which isn't very often but I am going to set up a webcam to put my mind at rest (when I've figured how to do it that is)
ImageImage