Hands up if you cried

General discussion on all labradoodle-related matters - anything not otherwise covered by specific forums on the site.
dexysback

Re: Hands up if you cried

Post by dexysback » 15 Oct 2013, 12:29

I have neer left dexter more then 4 hours ,but i have had to go up my daughters house to mind my graddaughter while she works only two afternons ,but leave from 1 til 6 .30 I hate it so worried i asked a neibour to let out for wee about 5,there dogs next door are left in all day or outside all day .Could ou not let that dog out in garden for you neibour that leaves 10 hours ,how can it hold itself, such a shame or put dog walkers card in letter box.
ImageImage

ClareV

Post by ClareV » 15 Oct 2013, 13:50

Andy, if it is any consolation, I dog walk for people and those dogs adore me and rush over to see me whenever I am spotted out and about. I am sure this is because they love our walks as they get to play with Charlie, and get three times the exercise they get if they are walked on their own. Dog walking for people is a priveledge for me, as well as a little earner. I am choosy about which dogs I take, and I just love the ones I walk. I am sure your dog has a great time with the walker.

I have not watched the programme, and will think twice about seeing it on I player now that I have read what everyone has said... Too upsetting!

lynnsgreensocks

Post by lynnsgreensocks » 15 Oct 2013, 14:30

I cried!

We are a having a problem with our wee dog at the moment. We did all the training with her when she was a pup so she was very used to being away from us. The problem is that she was never used to being away from our older dog, and her best buddy, Tess. We lost lovely Tess about 5 weeks ago, and since then Kip has whimpered and whined whenever she is left. At the moment, for the 3 days I'm not at home, she has been spending most of the day with our dog walker - we thought we would gradually build up the time that she was left home alone, but so far it doesn't matter how short a period of time it is, she is just miserable. Back to basics now for us with stuffed kongs, etc

Plans are afoot to get her a wee doodle playmate next year (hence me being on this forum.. Kip is a lowchen) but until then we really need to be able to leave her home alone at times. Any advice on dealing with a dog after losing another dog would be very gratefully received!

Lynn, the newbie

Doodle Dee

Post by Doodle Dee » 15 Oct 2013, 14:33

Please don't worry people. I know it worries me but before I joined the forum, I didn't ask any questions about dogs and I know I left my other dog for sometimes up to 12 hours and didn't think anything of it. If I was cruel or anything, I wasn't aware of it and Alfie did no damage whatsoever, he was just pleased to see me/

Since I have joined the forum and although it isn't a bad thing, I am much more paranoid, also I think it is because Lulu is the first dog I have had without any children or without being a child myself. The dogs were our pets and I didn't worry too much about them as long as they are healthy and happy.

Perhaps we would know if our dogs had anxiety problems. I know Lulu watches me out the window when I go, or sometimes she just sits on the stairs but out we do go. Sometimes even if I am at home and want a cuddle she sits on my lap for a while and then may or may not take herself upstairs to bed.

If I am out for a longer period than she is used to, I do get a dog walker in but I never did for any of my other dogs, and they all seemed to live long and happy lives.

The programme was scientifically brilliant but only did 40 dogs I believe, out of how many millions.

I did ask how would we know if our dogs had anxiety when we left them, but perhaps I have answered my own question, you would know your own dog!!!

Please don't shoot me down for my opinion :lol:
Lulu & Dx

ImageImage

thepadster

Post by thepadster » 15 Oct 2013, 16:34

Well I have just sat through a boring video of Paddy sleeping after I went out for 3 hours. He did change position a few times. Got up and barked when someone knocked on the door then went back to doing what he does best.
ImageImage

oakesr

Post by oakesr » 15 Oct 2013, 18:14

I wanted to cry but hubby would've just laughed at me, so had to be brave :lol: I wasn't so bothered by the schnauzer, it was the rottie cross that really tugged my heart strings.

Roma is left 9am - 3pm a few days a week, when either we are both at work or when OH is in bed. She doesn't bark or howl (she doesn't know OH is in bed and he never hears a peep, plus neighbour has confirmed that they hear nothing) but since being spayed has taken to chewing things. OH thinks this is just boredom but either way she would rather we were there. However, the fact remains she is loved and well looked after.

The vast majority of dogs have to be left at some point; such is modern life. I did think it was very interesting to be breeding dogs for our lifestyles today, where they need the resilience to be left alone at times.
Rachel & Roma

beeeerock

Post by beeeerock » 15 Oct 2013, 19:44

Doodle Dee wrote: Perhaps we would know if our dogs had anxiety problems. I know Lulu watches me out the window when I go, or sometimes she just sits on the stairs but out we do go. Sometimes even if I am at home and want a cuddle she sits on my lap for a while and then may or may not take herself upstairs to bed.

If I am out for a longer period than she is used to, I do get a dog walker in but I never did for any of my other dogs, and they all seemed to live long and happy lives.

The programme was scientifically brilliant but only did 40 dogs I believe, out of how many millions.

I did ask how would we know if our dogs had anxiety when we left them, but perhaps I have answered my own question, you would know your own dog!!!

Please don't shoot me down for my opinion :lol:
Your 'how would we know' comment is great.... much like wondering whether the light in the refrigerator actually goes out when you close the door... :lol:

My understanding is that dogs don't really have a sense of time, so whether you're gone for half an hour or the whole day, they can't really tell (unless they were to put a car's fuel gauge on their bladder...). I believe the anxiety thing is an emotional issue with the dog, which many trainers advertise as being treatable. In other words, it might be fairly common, but it's not the 'norm'. A well-balanced dog should just watch you leave and head for his bed (or maybe yours or the forbidden couch if he's sneaky!) for a nap. How much of the anxiety problem is bred into the dog and how much actually comes from us, the owners, would be interesting to research!

molsp

Post by molsp » 15 Oct 2013, 20:36

I felt it was so hard to watch (must have been a hundred times worse for the owners) I do think, at he end of the day, its great that there is so much research going on at the moment into dogs emotions and intelligence, and that will move us hoomans forward in how we view our pets..... BUT at the end of the day,:

* if the fact that love our dogs is not in doubt.
* if the fact that we show our love to them is not in doubt,
* if the fact that we care enormously for their wellbeing is not in doubt

then we really are doing ok.

ClareV

Post by ClareV » 16 Oct 2013, 12:53

Rachel, can I just ask how old Roma is now? I was just wondering whether she is chewing because her molars are 'bedding in' - Charlie did not stop chewing until he was 11 months old or so. She is beautiful with or without her tiara!!

My boy is used to me being out five mornings a week and greets me with a big yawn and stretch. However as I have been off work for a couple of weeks now and it will be two more before I am able to go in again, he might find it hard to adjust again to being left. He has had me all to himself for most of the day. This has made me think about that, so I will make sure I leave him for short periods again before I return to work.

oakesr

Post by oakesr » 16 Oct 2013, 17:19

ClareV wrote:Rachel, can I just ask how old Roma is now? I was just wondering whether she is chewing because her molars are 'bedding in' - Charlie did not stop chewing until he was 11 months old or so. She is beautiful with or without her tiara!!
Thanks! She is 9 months now. She hasn't chewed or destroyed things for ages and it just seemed to start after the spay. The vet did say all her teeth were through, when we went in for the spay, so I just assumed teething was over? :oops: I would like to think its just teething, rather than any distress.

I filmed her today on th iPad, when I went to work. It only ran for 45mins, but she just went and sat by the door for 15mins after I had gone, then went and got in her bed. Not a sound was made! There was another dog barking in the distance that could be heard but even that didn't set her off. So I'm pretty pleased :D
Rachel & Roma

Doodle Dee

Post by Doodle Dee » 16 Oct 2013, 17:29

Lulu chews if I am here or not - so I don't think chewing is always to do separation anxiety.

Just for the safe side I asked my neighbour if she barked a lot and if she did would he tell me. He said he would tell me if she barked a lot as he would be worried about her as she doesn't bark at all when we are not there! I have asked the neighbour periodically and as he is a neighbour who "appears" when something is happening - I am sure he would let me know.
Lulu & Dx

ImageImage

techiebabe

Post by techiebabe » 16 Oct 2013, 21:31

I set up a webcam when we got our last dog, a greyhound. He just went to sleep! So that was reassuring. The only thing is that he didnt eat when we were out, so we couldnt put food down & leave... he would leave it then bolt to it once we were back. I wonder if he thought 'I dont know when Ill get food again, I must save it'. So we got a neighbour to let him out, feed him, and sit with him, if we were out for the day.

We always wanted our next dog (Commodore) to be one we could take with us, and we are taking him on hols soon! We dont leave him longer than 3-4 hours and that is only if it cant be avoided. C sleeps in his crate when we are out (I have spied on him!) but I do wonder what he will get up to when we stop using the crate... he has to duck his head in it a bit now, so once we are back from hols we will have to try letting him stay out of it...

My point really is meant to be that different dogs have different needs and if your dog is happy at home alone, dont worry! My greyhound would have been far more stressed to go with us. And tho I prefer to take C with us, he is fine to be left if needs be. When a hospital trip overran and I was 4 hours he was still sleeping happily. :-)

The programme did at least show that dogs can be reassured and trained to cope, and Im sure everyone here loves their dogs enough that theyd get a trainer to help if necessary. :-)

My2Girls

Post by My2Girls » 17 Oct 2013, 10:15

Lucy had separation anxiety and how did I know this? Well she could escape from her crate and I never knew how she did it! I had to put cable ties all around the frame and then I left the crate door open so she could have the freedom of the living room. This meant she could happily chew the stuffing out of my leather suite! Which she did - on more than one occasion :oops: :oops: I don't know when it stopped but it did. A bit like when you have a baby and you take everything but the kitchen sink when you visit people - then all of a sudden it's just a small bag.

Now I've got the two of them and they seem quite content. They give big stretches when I arrive so I know I've just disturbed their slumber :) Lucy sits on the window sill whether I'm in or out - she is just nosey :lol: I don't fuss them when I leave and don't fuss them when I come home. I'd like to say our house is calm - but hey I'd be lying :lol:
Clare, Sally & Lucy

dexysback

Post by dexysback » 17 Oct 2013, 10:33

I know of people that work all day and they have given there dog up ,cause its not fair on the dog,i myself would not leave a dog more then 5 hours without someone comin in or dog walker ,dogs do sleep alot but they shouldnt be sleeping all day and nite,them next door to me have left there dogs a 6 this morning which they had just slept throught the nite and gotta sleep till there mom comes in at five,its not fair on poor dogs ,i hate it when im taking dexter for walk and they are traped in side,i have even offerd to let them out for them .I dont hear any barking or howling but come on they have got to be fed up.
ImageImage

Fizzbw

Post by Fizzbw » 17 Oct 2013, 22:58

After seeing the programme I left my camera recording last night when my dad and I went to a concert leaving the dogs alone.

Very boring video...the only exciting (!) bit was when Ellie moved to my chair and scrabbled all my cushions off. Something she does routinely....

Nx