Pining doodle puppy? Should I get her a friend?

General discussion on all labradoodle-related matters - anything not otherwise covered by specific forums on the site.
rogben1

Pining doodle puppy? Should I get her a friend?

Post by rogben1 » 27 Oct 2013, 18:29

Hi guys, so I'm after a bit of advice, absolutely nothing set in stone with this so all opinions welcome. I've been on holiday recently and my pup Maggie has been at my mums house for 10 days. She has a 13 year old lab cross called sassy who Maggie has met twice when we've been down for the weekend and usually Maggie would annoy the hell out of her and sassy would just growl and walk away. Upon returning it now seems that they are the best of friends! I couldn't quite believe it but they've been sleeping next to each other, swimming in the river together, fetching balls, they even took it in turns drinking out of the same water bowl. Now that we've been back at home for just over a week and Maggie is a changed pup, she's eating as normal but she seems so down! She's sleeping more than usual, she just sits and looks at us with a sad face and just isn't as playful. She's not even biting as much which she did a lot of before. She's not even interested in doing any tricks for treats! I asked my mum what she was like with her and she said she was playful always wagging her tail and so happy! Could she be ill? Or Could it be that she's pining for her doggy companion? I live 2 hours away from my mum so it's not like we can see her or the dog every week so now I'm thinking would she be happier with a doggy companion of her own? I've never had 2 dogs at the same time, I wouldn't get another puppy as I think it would be too stressful , I've asked family and friends and they think it's a good idea to maybe get a rescue dog? Maggie will be 6 months old in November and will probably be spayed before Christmas so I would wait until after then anyway, I have always wanted to have another dog at some point , but is it better to get one whilst Maggie is young? The new dog would be given just as much love and I'm sure it would make Maggie happy. Has anyone been in same situation or had 2 dogs at the same time one of them still being young? Thanks xx

hockborn

Re: Pining doodle puppy? Should I get her a friend?

Post by hockborn » 27 Oct 2013, 18:56

I'm always up for having more than one dood (I have 3) however your dog was in someone elses home. They may be very different in their own environment. maybe see what they are like with doggie visits from friends dogs and then you can guage reactions. I know people say to wait when they are older however I wish I got my 3rd when my others were younger as they were really set in their ways!!!! I had 2 doods and introduced Louis as a 8 week old puppy. they growled and ignored him for 3 weeks. Now they all play together and are a loving pack. You might consider getting another doodle. good luck.

Rascal doodle

Post by Rascal doodle » 27 Oct 2013, 19:16

I had a similar experience last week when I left our 6 month old with a friend who has 4 dogs. He came back totally chilled, it was almost as if he had spent so much time in the company of other dogs that he now doesn't really bother with the things that excited him I.e. meeting new dogs on walks, he now swaggers past them without a 2nd look and his recall has improved too! He also takes himself off to his crate during the day without me asking him....he never did that before! My friend did say that he would escape under her dining table for some time away, think he wanted a bit of peace. He has always been fairly chilled but I definitely notice how he has matured in the short space of time he was there. Maybe your girl is starting to mature or perhaps being put in her place by your mums dog has taught her to be submissive or could it be separation anxiety?

rogben1

Post by rogben1 » 27 Oct 2013, 20:37

Thanks for replying!
Hockborn: we don't know many people with dogs unfortunately, all our friends are cat lovers! However my friend was looking after her parents dog a few weeks back and she brought him round to meet Maggie, and she was just her usual loving playful self, she's so loving and wouldn't hurt a fly so I really don't think she'd mind another dog being in the house. Out on walks she can be a bit wary, usually around smaller scattier dogs who jump all over her however sheel happily play with big Labradors! I do worry that if we wait until she's older because she won't be mixing with other dogs that often apart from on walks, she might start to not like being around them. But yes have considered another doodle but as I say don't really want a puppy again whilst she's still a puppy herself I think I'd go round the bend haha.

Rascal: that would actually sum her up perfectly it's like she's come back all grown up! Like she's gone off to boot camp or something haha my mums dog usually doesn't like other dogs at all and very set in her ways, obviously because she's an old girl she's extremely well behaved so whether she's set an example for Maggie that could be the case! If it is I'm not complaining because she was a cheeky little bugger before haha. I just hope she's not unhappy. Will just have to see how the next couple of months pan out, I've heard after they're spayed they calm down a hell of a lot is that right? X

pixie's mum

Post by pixie's mum » 27 Oct 2013, 21:41

I have had single dogs and then in recent years double dogs and for a short time 3 at the same time. It goes without saying that the family dynamics change drastically with the addition of another dog for example your current puppy will be in training as she is so young and another dog will also need training (seperately at first) so time is a bigger issue and my two hate it when I soend time with the other dog but due to their differnet training stages I do have to make time to fulfill these requirements.
Seperate walks for differing ages ( a pup cant go as far as the older dog) different feeding regimes, bigger car? more expense for food vets kennelling.
My 18 month old doodle regressed into naughty puppy when the 8 week old jazz arrived and I had to revisit some basic obedience training again. This soon sorted itself out though.
I really love having two dogs and I think they are great company for each other too - Personally I wished my older dog had fully matured (3 years) before I got the new pup but my old mastiff died and I didn't want Pixie on her own.
If you have the time , energy, patience and big pockets go for it - any doubts - give it a bit longer
ImageImage
ImageImage

Rascal doodle

Post by Rascal doodle » 27 Oct 2013, 22:19

Rogben, I'm not sure about calming down after spaying as my boy was snipped very early (he's an Aussie dood). I meant to say I love your pups name and she sounds adorable.
I read somewhere the ideal time to introduce another dog or pup is when your current dog is 18 months plus.

shellsie

Post by shellsie » 28 Oct 2013, 00:15

I can only speak from my own experience. I have 2 doods but did get them both within 2 months of each other, didn't realised at the time that this is not advised as they were both puppies. My dogs adore each other, they do love a good play fight but most of the time they love being together. I suppose u need to take everything into account first as in twice the vets bills, jabs etc etc. Personally I love having two together :D :D

briansangel

Post by briansangel » 28 Oct 2013, 11:40

Poppy goes with our dog walker once a week on a group walk with up to 5 other dogs and she loves it.. They love the company of other dogs maybe do that with someone locally in your area it just may curb her lonliness and if she is anything like poppy she will look forward to it she knows when its due and gets very excited when i tell her aunty suzy is coming for her.. I would love another dog but im wary as poppy is such a good dog sleeps from 8pm until 9/10am good in the day its a big decision to make as another dog may change the dinamics too much and change poppy too much plus i feel poppy is too young yet anyway i would maybe get a rescue dog when she is 2 and get a dog of similar age..... Do you not have friends or other doodle owners on here who can let their dogs come and play???.. I hope she recovers xxx
ImageImage

PeggyS

Post by PeggyS » 28 Oct 2013, 12:43

I have often wondered about another dog but I am scared that Prggy would want go to the other dog rather than resting her head on Joes feet on the footplate of his wheelchair and jumping on the settee to lick his face etc. I would hate for anything to come between Joe and Peggs

XXX

donkeydoodlelulu

Post by donkeydoodlelulu » 28 Oct 2013, 14:33

Its a difficult one. I also always had two dogs then Lulu was on her own when Bruno died. Lulu was 18 months when we rehomed Woody. It was different at the beginning because Lulu was very calm and attached to me but they settled so quickly and she is obviously happier and content with Woody to play with. It is lovely watching them run and play together. We rehomed Woody because he had separation issues at his old home but he is devoted to Lulu so its been a wonderful success. Lulu still lies under my feet at night with Woody snuggling in to her.
Alison, Lulu and Woody x