Two meals or not... Plus Kong help!!!

General discussion on all labradoodle-related matters - anything not otherwise covered by specific forums on the site.
briansangel

Two meals or not... Plus Kong help!!!

Post by briansangel » 28 Oct 2013, 11:49

Poppy is a year old on 5th November she has 2 meals a day but has stopped eating her breakfast if i leave it down she will eat it at lunchtime she doesnt actually get out of bed until 9/10am so she probably doesnt feel hungry until after her walk thats why shes eating it at lunchtime... Should i stop her breakfast and just give her tea??... I know someone who just gives their dog a slice of wholemeal toast at breakfast but isnt bread bad for them?? any ideas please PLUS can anyone give me healthy Kong filling ideas.. She wont eat peanut butter or banana xxx
ImageImage

AustinsMumma

Re: Two meals or not... Plus Kong help!!!

Post by AustinsMumma » 28 Oct 2013, 11:59

I would say stick to 2 meals a day? I have always fed my older dogs twice. Maybe just give her lunchtime and dinner then.
At the minute Austin eats 7, 2, 7 as he's only 5 months old (it was 7, 11, 3, 7)
I plan to cut this to 7 & 7 when he's a bit older

I used to know an old fella that gave his dog a full bowl of tea and some toast with butter every morning too! :?

Re Kong we use that squirty Kong stuff from the pet shop? In that I stuff all sorts, the Kong biscuits you can get, peas, carrots, ham...
Austin's pretty easy as he'll eat anything :mrgreen:

Jo x
Austin Doodle came to town riding on a pony......
Austin's profession?... Eating Mummy's STEAK
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Bid

Post by Bid » 28 Oct 2013, 12:56

I put some of Beamish;s dinner in his kong and freeze it - I feed raw food so it's a mince of some sort. Other than that I put goat's yoghurt in and freeze that. For a special treat they get mashed banana.
www.dogtrekker.co.uk
Beauty without vanity, strength without insolence, courage without ferocity, and all the virtues of man without his vices - Byron

hockborn

Post by hockborn » 28 Oct 2013, 13:56

Could you perhaps put some of one of her meals inside the kong mixed with goats yogurt and freeze it if it is big enough?

pixie's mum

Post by pixie's mum » 28 Oct 2013, 16:27

as above - moisten her kibble and stuff kong and freeze it
could mix in some tuna or sardines - a little cheese, mashed vegetables, sausage meat, primula cheese etc etc
ImageImage
ImageImage

briansangel

Post by briansangel » 28 Oct 2013, 16:53

Thanks for replies ive tried putting her food in it she doesnt seem to interested as its not a treat lol.. Someone uses baby food??.. Her fav is Pate and Cream Cheese but i just dont think its very healthy/ shes gone off fish now too so cant use sardines as i once did xxx
ImageImage

hayley81

Post by hayley81 » 28 Oct 2013, 19:35

Cody loves Yeo Valley probiotic yoghurt so I freeze this, sometimes I add some honey. It's good for her gutts so glad he loves it x

EstelleB

Post by EstelleB » 28 Oct 2013, 20:38

We've just tried soaking Tia's dry food and freezing it, big success!

Just a little warning that the puppy Kong paste gave Tia colitis. Plenty of dogs seem OK with it but it is very rich.
ImageImage

molsp

Post by molsp » 28 Oct 2013, 21:51

As has been said, I usually stuff it with her dinner (moistened kibble or natures diet), she loves it and it slows down her natural gobbling tendencies.

hayley81

Post by hayley81 » 28 Oct 2013, 22:19

How often do you give your doodle his/her kong filled with yummy's?

julieju

Post by julieju » 28 Oct 2013, 22:39

Aero went through a stage of not wanting breakfast (between about 9 months and 15 months), so after much stressing I gave him his two meals a day at lunchtime and at tea time, sometimes even as late as 3pm and 8pm. He just wasn't hungry at breakfast time so I decided just to let him lead. At about 15 months he decided breakfast was a good idea after all, so we went back to 8pm and 5pm (with a snack at lunchtime). I would play it by ear with Poppy, let her lead you. xx
Julie and Aero xx

Doodle Dee

Post by Doodle Dee » 28 Oct 2013, 23:05

lulu used to not have breakfast at all but now she has her breakfast and dinner in the mornings and evenings.

She also has a lunch time kong filled with sardines and some kibble mixed up with it

She does have bits and pieces in between (boneo or training treats) and at the moment it seems about right!
Lulu & Dx

ImageImage

Ianto!

Post by Ianto! » 29 Oct 2013, 00:01

Ianto decided fairly early on that he wasn't interested in breakfast. To save stressing, I just give him his first meal at lunch time... It also helps as our trainer said they shouldn't be exercised after eating, so he gets his morning walk, then lunch. He gets his second meal of the day about 9 pm, after his last walk (again, the trainer suggested it as he eats and then settles down to sleep it off).
Anne & Ianto x

briansangel

Post by briansangel » 29 Oct 2013, 02:41

Great replies thankyou.. Someone asked how often i give her a King.. at night after her last walk and before bed .. Shes on naturesdiet and JWB Kibble but she didnt like it in her King maybe ill try again... She loves natural Yogurt she has one every other day again she doesnt seem keen if i put it in her kong tho...... Gawd faddy doodles who have em lol xxx
ImageImage

EstelleB

Post by EstelleB » 29 Oct 2013, 11:25

Just thought I'd add to the breakfast discussion by saying that Tia decided it was breakfast time at 3.30am today, and I'm pretty sure she would eat 12 meals a day if I let her. She certainly got the lab genes when it comes to food!
ImageImage