Pet Insurance on Watchdog tonight 8-9pm

General discussion on all labradoodle-related matters - anything not otherwise covered by specific forums on the site.
eileenandmolly

Pet Insurance on Watchdog tonight 8-9pm

Post by eileenandmolly » 06 Nov 2013, 20:09

Just in case anyone's interested, Watchdog is apparently doing a piece on pet insurance premiums tonight at some time between 8 and 9 pm. Don't know whether it will tell us anything that we don't already know :roll: Just letting you know in case.

Edited to say sorry! should have said - BBC1
Ei, Molly and Saffie

Bid

Re: Pet Insurance on Watchdog tonight 8-9pm

Post by Bid » 06 Nov 2013, 21:01

Thanks Ei - just about to watch. There was a programme on a few weeks back about it so it will be interesting to see what else they have to say.
www.dogtrekker.co.uk
Beauty without vanity, strength without insolence, courage without ferocity, and all the virtues of man without his vices - Byron

Ianto!

Post by Ianto! » 06 Nov 2013, 21:31

Thanks Eileen,
Just watched and it seems to be what we already knew - they have us by the short and curlies, no matter what. Worried now that next year's premium will rocket...
When they say 'Covered for Life' they don't mention that the premium will be so high you won't be able to afford it. And the argument is that medical advances are helping dogs to recover when before they would've died :(
Anne & Ianto x

Doodle Dee

Post by Doodle Dee » 06 Nov 2013, 22:47

they didnt mention the post code lottery people paying much less than me because apparently our vets charge more!

All of them in our area?
Lulu & Dx

ImageImage

molsp

Post by molsp » 06 Nov 2013, 22:50

missed it - i will try and get it on catch up

eileenandmolly

Post by eileenandmolly » 07 Nov 2013, 19:59

I've only just watched this myself. Not a brilliant report. But I was puzzled by the report on the removal of lumps where the owner said that she was charged by Petplan for 3 x excess payments for the removal of lumps because each lump was different even though removed in a single surgical procedure. Molly had 3 lumps removed recently - one long-standing one which was a cyst, another new lump which turned out to be a benign cyst, and another new one in her groin which was suspicious but thankfully turned out to be a benign tumour. I only paid one excess with Petplan.

Also, Anne - I realise you must be worried about your future premiums for Ianto :( Petplan have said to me that premiums only increase in line with local vet bills, not in line with any claims I might make. I don't know how true this might be because I've only made 2 very small claims in 7 years for 2 dogs. I do think that companies vary in their approach - or their underwriters do. I do hope that you don't see any significant increase in premiums for Ianto. Molly reaches her 8th birthday in a few months .....I expect a huge hike then, and will have to consider what I do :(
Ei, Molly and Saffie

Ianto!

Post by Ianto! » 07 Nov 2013, 20:43

Thanks for this Ei, must admit I have been worrying as he's just over 12 months and due for renewal soon. We're with PetPlan and have never claimed for anything so far, so fingers crossed.... :|
Anne & Ianto x

eileenandmolly

Post by eileenandmolly » 07 Nov 2013, 21:15

Anne, have a chat with Bid - I might be wrong but I think she's with Petplan, and I also think she's posted before to say Daisy's premiums haven't increased too much after her HD diagnosis.
Ei, Molly and Saffie

Rowan11

Post by Rowan11 » 09 Nov 2013, 21:53

I have just changed mine from John Lewis - they put It up from £15. to £23 ! so ive swapped to Tesco.
don't know if ive done the right thing but im now back to paying £15.00
Dawn & Luna x

Bid

Post by Bid » 09 Nov 2013, 21:59

eileenandmolly wrote:Anne, have a chat with Bid - I might be wrong but I think she's with Petplan, and I also think she's posted before to say Daisy's premiums haven't increased too much after her HD diagnosis.
You're right Ei - they haven't , but I too am expecting a big increase on Daisy's next birthday, but I don't think I will have an option but to carry on, what with Daisy being Daisy!
www.dogtrekker.co.uk
Beauty without vanity, strength without insolence, courage without ferocity, and all the virtues of man without his vices - Byron

Shiv cool

Post by Shiv cool » 09 Nov 2013, 22:06

Hi,

I'm a new poster on this forum so I apologise if I am revisiting old ground...

We are hoping to get our first doodle next weekend and I have been researching insurance....and getting totally flummoxed! My vet has said that the best option is a lifetime policy and I have found one with Petplan for approx £23 pm. This covers vet fees up to a limit of £4-7k, costs etc which renew each year.

Friends and family that I've asked have given conflicting advice, from no insurance (but saving £30pm into a bank account) to just taking basic insurance options like £8 pm with Tesco....

Can I ask what others feel is right/suitable? Sorry if this is a crossover topic; hopefully you can help.

Thanks.

Sx

Bid

Post by Bid » 09 Nov 2013, 22:13

I have a doodle with 2 medical conditions that are on-going. I would be stumped if I didn't have a covered for life policy, so if you can afford it I would definitely choose that, but if you can't then anything is better than nothing.
www.dogtrekker.co.uk

Shiv cool

Post by Shiv cool » 09 Nov 2013, 22:21

After looking into getting a doodle, I had factored in the insurance costs and was happy to pay the expected premiums of around £22-28pm.

My worry, after talking to others, was that it wasn't necessary or I was paying too much.

To be honest, I don't care; I'd rather have the protection in place in case something goes horribly wrong (hopefully not obviously) and my pooch is covered for whatever happens.

Put it this way, I've already bought a shedload of stuff in prep for our new arrival - you really can't put a price on a pet. In my eyes, they're another member of your family and you'd not put a figure on a baby :P

Hex

Post by Hex » 09 Nov 2013, 22:23

Hi Shiv,
My pup is now 7mths old. I was in two minds whether or not to get insurance for my dood. She came with insurance from breeder (a month I think). In the end I decided to carry on with it (petplan) when the breeder one expired. We made two payments,£46 in total........and then my poor girl fractured her shoulder! Simply playing with another pup,much smaller than her. She breaked and turned too quickly :(
The current vets bill is £2000,and treatment is still ongoing. Xrays alone are £200+
Yes we've been unfortunate,but without the insurance,we just couldn't have afforded it xx

Shiv cool

Post by Shiv cool » 09 Nov 2013, 22:25

Thanks Hex, you've just confirmed what I thought. Really appreciate that. xx