Naughty puppy on the field!

General discussion on all labradoodle-related matters - anything not otherwise covered by specific forums on the site.
rogben1

Naughty puppy on the field!

Post by rogben1 » 09 Dec 2013, 16:30

Does anyone else's pup misbehave when they've found something on a field? Like a bit of plastic or an old ball that a dogs left behind.

Usually she's really good at recall and comes bounding over when we call but she's impossible when she's found something more interesting to chew on rather than listen to us.

Then we try and go up to her to take it off her and she just runs away. It makes us laugh and generally we just walk round and leave her to it but I don't want her eating something she shouldn't. Is it a case of cracking open the treats? I don't want her to think she's being rewarded for being naughty!!

rogben1

Re: Naughty puppy on the field!

Post by rogben1 » 09 Dec 2013, 16:41

Here's a picture of the little monkey!!

elmo75

Post by elmo75 » 09 Dec 2013, 16:51

She's gorgeous!! Yes, I have exactly the same problem and when she sees another dog/person/squirrel/mole hill/poo of any description! The list is endless! She also goes giddy if she's been in a puddle! Makes our walks entertaining to say the least!! I have started to say leave and then distract her with a treat; works sometimes ;-)

Ellie & Bronte xxx
ImageImage

pixie's mum

Post by pixie's mum » 09 Dec 2013, 16:52

Oh my giddy aunt - what a cheeky little face

Going to be a lovely scruffy dood (easier grooming yay) and very lovely indeed.
Can only recommend distraction with something more exciting that you only take in walks and is super fascinating
ImageImage
ImageImage

rogben1

Post by rogben1 » 09 Dec 2013, 17:13

Hi Elmo. Oh gosh yes she absolutely loves people as well. She just can't help herself but go and say hi (ie jump up and lick) 9 times out of 10 they don't mind at all and say how cute she is but you always get the odd grumpy git who says she should be on a lead and learn to control her. She's only 6 months old! We're in the process of trying her not to jump up as much but it's so difficult!! Perseverance is the key I suppose!

Pixies mum the only thing I can think of is treats no toy in the world can distract her from a fabulous bit of plastic haha. I know she's got such a lovely coat, she's only just started becoming shaggy, we were wondering if there really was any poodle in her!!! Xx

ClareV

Post by ClareV » 09 Dec 2013, 17:31

Hi there, with the distraction thing you could run off in the opposite direction, making very excited noises and waving your arms around like a maniac. It might work, but if not at the very least it will give the other dog owners something to talk about and a good laugh in The process! It should make her curious enough to come over and see what you have found as she might assume you have found an even bigger bit of plastic to show off!

With the jumping up... In our village we tend to meet the same walkers as we tend to go at certain times of the day according to our routines. If you can ask these people to turn to one side if your puppy looks like jumping, and not to fuss her, she might learn in time that there is nothing to be gained by doing this. If I stay very upright when dogs come over I find they are generally less likely to jump up than if I bend down to greet them.

If you don't know the people then it is obviously that much harder. Asking puppy to come back to you and walk to heel past the hoomans whilst squeezing some primula into your puppy's mouth might make you a more exciting proposition!

If you do go with option one of running around waving your arms in The air and shrieking, pretty please can you get someone to film you for us just so we can check you are doing it right, of course??

rogben1

Post by rogben1 » 09 Dec 2013, 17:48

Hey Clare yes sometimes we see the same people but not often. Even walking on the lead along the path if there's a jogger coming past sheel want to join in!! Or if an old lady walks up she will try and jump up and we try to keep a short lead as possible but she just gets so excited! She must be very trusting. What a nice human being she would make, she's definitely high on life haha.

Maybe I could get my other half to do the running crazy thing on the field and film it in secret. I certainly won't be doing that (not brave enough)hehe xx

suebedo

Post by suebedo » 09 Dec 2013, 18:08

When my two were very little and recall was very hit and miss, I found a squeaky ball was the thing most likely to bring them back from meeting other dogs! When Fozzie disappeared out of our garden a few months back, it was a squeaky ball that we all took with us on our search that he heard and came running

Rascal doodle

Post by Rascal doodle » 09 Dec 2013, 20:05

If you find a good distraction let me know, our pup is a nightmare with birds, he will chase and chase until they're out of sight. Last week he chased them to the top of a hill and crossed the brow of hill and ran across two roads! Heart in mouth moment! :(

Ianto!

Post by Ianto! » 09 Dec 2013, 23:02

What an absolute cutie!!
I take an 'indestructible' squeaky chick on walks - he never gets to play with it at any other time. This sometimes works... :oops: The running and waving and yelling "Keewob!!" (Come on) entertains the other walkers... :oops: :oops: I've never checked on YouTube to see if I'm 'trending' or whatever!
If it's any kind of pooh, forget it. :roll:
Anne & Ianto x :lol:

hockborn

Post by hockborn » 10 Dec 2013, 08:45

I think what you are doing is one of the best ways to deal- ignore and leave. If you give her attention she wil see his as a game. She will hopefully grow out of it (however the poo obsessions in doods will remain!! :lol: :lol: ) Continually give treats for when she returns to you and take her out when she is hungry!! I think a squeaky toy is a god idea to get them to snap out of their mindset. I would use it , not to signal to come back, but to signal that you are leaving and walk off the other way. I always shout 'bye' and mine come running. Doods are great though as they make their own entertainment. I once went walking with a friend who had a spaniel that demanded attention and the ball to be thrown the whole time so we could not even talk!! I too have tried the headless chicken dance and it does work- not good fro your street cred!!! good luck

Lisa and the Doods

[URL=http://s1255.photobucket.com/user/hockb ... a.jpg.html]Image

thepadster

Post by thepadster » 10 Dec 2013, 10:54

I primed Paddy at home first with the word "chicken" said in a very high and excited voice. He then got to know that something delicious was his if he came to me. I then started shrieking "chicken" when out on walks to get him back to me and there was always a very tasty morsel as his reward, sometimes meat or cheese or liver cake. At first it was hit and miss but eventually his recall became really good and I still use the chicken shriek if he decides there;s something more interesting out there but I'd say it works most of the time but now I don't need to make myself look such an a@@e much these days :lol:
ImageImage

rogben1

Post by rogben1 » 10 Dec 2013, 11:47

Haha deary me I'm glad I'm not the only one to have such a cheeky doodle. She generally loves squeaky toys but we let her have them in the house also so generally on walks sheel run after a squeaky ball, bring it back but she just won't let go!

Her recall in general is fabulous, she's not phased by other dogs or birds etc and when we call her after she's been fussing over someone she'll still come bounding over, it's just when she knows she's chewing on something she shouldn't it's impossible. The word we used from the start when she was really little was "treat" and that worked great and we've continued to use it but I think that's wearing a little thin now as sheel sometimes just stop and look at me as if to say "yeah right mum that means were off home, I'm not budging".

I'll maybe buy a new squeaky toy so it's something new and exciting, only on walks and see if that works!!