New labradoodle owners looking for advice & tips!

General discussion on all labradoodle-related matters - anything not otherwise covered by specific forums on the site.
Jay128

Re: New labradoodle owners looking for advice & tips!

Post by Jay128 » 29 Dec 2013, 15:33

What a beautiful dood you have.
Poppy came home 3 days before Christmas, cried all the way until we let her sit on our son. We bought a crate as I wanted it for in the car eventually but used it inside to begin with.
The first night we put her crate in the kitchen, she cried on and off but then settled. She had one accident as we didn't hear her. The next night and ever since she has slept through and been clean. We gave her lots of blankets and a cuddly which we heated in the microwave for a few minutes as well as covering her crate to make it feel nice and safe for her.
She hated being left even for a few seconds to begin with so I would put her in the kitchen and pop the ironing up stairs or pop to the bathroom. She would go mad but I would walk back into the kitchen and ignore her, not wait for her to go completely nuts, just get on with what I was doing. Seconds after I went back she would stop crying and then I would cuddle or treat her and a few minutes repeat the process. It took her about half a day to get that I was coming back. Now when she is left she gets a treat if we are leaving the house. We are very lucky because she is a medium size she can get through the cat flap and when we are at work the neighbors tell us she goes out to play and sunbathe!
Your lovely dood will settle but sometimes it just feels like for ever.
ImageImage

Rob&Anna

Post by Rob&Anna » 29 Dec 2013, 17:22

thanks for all the advice everyone, its been really helpful.

we have decided to get Hamish a crate after reading this, we had thought a basket would be enough but from reading the posts maybe its worth trying out a crate to see how he gets on. I have also been leaving him alone for a few minutes each day to see how he gets on. He usually cries the whole time, but when we go back to him we just ignore him and potter around the kitchen first before acknowledging him, he does calm down as soon as he sees one of us in the kitchen and he doesnt jump up wanting attention which is good.

At night he tends to sleep for a few hours and then wake up to use the toilet and then realise he is on his own and will start crying again. We leave him as long as we can before going to the room and again ignoring him to begin with before settling him back down in bed and he usually sleeps for another good few hours. Last night he would settle down to sleep until about 1am, i didnt hear him again until 8am in the morning so i assumed he had slept through the night but my girlfriend said she thought she heard him get up and then whine a little and go quiet again, so i hope she is right!

And for the poster who asked where we got Hamish, he came from a lovely breeder near Dumfries in Scotland who was really helpful when it came to us chosing Hamish. Her website is below if you are interested.

http://www.gallowaylabradoodles.co.uk

Thanks

Rob&Anna

Post by Rob&Anna » 29 Dec 2013, 17:40

also, one other question. What food did you all feed your dog when they were pups?

our breeder had recommended feeding him Husse dry puppy food. She was kind enough to give us about 10 small bags when we collected Hamish as he was the last of the litter to be picked up and I think she wanted rid of the left over puppy food. We have been feeding Hamish with this so far, with a little bit of water with the food to make it a bit easier for him to eat and he seems to really like it. We have enough to last for another week or so but we are looking to order a larger bag shortly and was looking for recommendations.

Has anyone had experience with this brand? I tried to search on hear to find other threads but couldnt find anything so thought i would ask on here! :)

thanks

Bid

Post by Bid » 29 Dec 2013, 18:17

Looking at the ingredients posted online, it looks like a pretty average middle of the road meat and rice food, along the lines of James Wellbeloved or Burns, but it does look a little more expensive. The premium foods tend to have more meat, and root veg carbs rather than rice. If you are happy with it and it suits your pup, and if he has good hard poo (sorry to be so explicit :oops: :lol: ) then stick with it, although you might prefer something you can get locally I suppose.
www.dogtrekker.co.uk
Beauty without vanity, strength without insolence, courage without ferocity, and all the virtues of man without his vices - Byron

jonb

Post by jonb » 29 Dec 2013, 18:18

With regard to the crate we find that covering it with a blanket when he's in he settles far better.

clairelbrooke

Post by clairelbrooke » 01 Jan 2014, 20:26

I got Ruby a crate, I never did this with buzz but wanted somewhere for her to retreat to away from him, I looked around a lot of pet shops and found they were so expensive! I managed to find a large crate and thermal cover for less than £40 from pet planet, really good site I've found. The crate I got is large enough and sturdy enough for both my doodles who climb in and my big girl Ruby who is 15 weeks and already 16kg so really good quality.

val&finn

Post by val&finn » 02 Jan 2014, 01:01

Lovely dog you got - well chosen!

If I remember correctly it took around 10 days to settle Finn completely. We used a pen in a separate room, radio on and loud ticking clock. No good. At first I had a mattress next to the pen, he stuck a paw through the pen gate and I held on to it. I sneaked out after a couple of hours but he tended to wake up. What did the trick were clothes worn by me during the day. Finn liked to sleep on my stomach for day time naps, underneath a large jumper so got used to smell. Every night I gave him a shirt or jumper to sleep on. Worked a treat, no more need to sleep in his room. Downside - he still likes my clothes. Any jumper he can find he'll steal and rests his weary head on it.

Good luck!

PS- We fed James Wellbeloved.
Val, Finn Doodle & Izzy Whizz

Liz!!

Post by Liz!! » 02 Jan 2014, 02:39

We fed Applaws puppy - she came home on Royal Canin which gave her diarrhea and when I read what was in it I changed.

If you do change to another food, do it VERY slowly - i did it a few pieces at a time.
Lola is a UK Assistance Dog, trained to alert me for low blood sugar by Medical Detection Dogs (http://www.medicaldetectiondogs.org.uk)

Rob&Anna

Post by Rob&Anna » 02 Jan 2014, 13:39

I think we are going to stick to the Husse food for now, Hamish seems to like it and not had any problems so far.

In terms of him on a night, we have had him for just over a week now and he is getting better, but he still doesnt like to be left alone. The other day I left him in the flat for 30 mins while I went to the shops and when I got back he was quietly in the kitchen. My neighbour said that he barked for a few minutes then was silent so thats definitely progress!

At night time its still difficult, he will cry and whine when we put him to bed and leave him, so what I have been doing lately is putting him in his basket and then doing a few things in the kitchen like washing up or tidying while he drops off, I then have to sneak out the room and hope I dont wake him! Its far from ideal but its doing the trick so far, but we cant be doing that every night. When he wakes during the night to go to the toilet, we usually take him straight out with no fuss and bring him straight back into his basket, but then its the problem of getting away from him. If he is still awake he barks and cries. We try to ignore him as much as we can but we are conscious of waking our neighbours so often have to go to him to try and calm him down. We have noticed an improvement but he still has some way to go before we can e sure he wont make too much noise when he is left alone.

thanks for all the tips and advise its all been really helpful.

Seventiesboy

Post by Seventiesboy » 02 Jan 2014, 17:44

Hamish is gorgeous, congratulations.

Definite supporter of crates here. Evie loves her own space.

We cover the crate at night with a towel and she feels secure, sleeps like a baby.

For the first few nights after we got her, we left the radio on very quietly in the kitchen where her crate is and also a night light.

After we were sure that she had settled in to her new home we withdrew these.

She is a very chilled out little girl.

Food wise, she came home on Eukanuba but had diarrhoea so we changed her to Burns and she has been fine ever since.

Good luck, don't fret, things will turn out right.

The best bit of advice that our breeder gave was to start as you mean to go on so the puppy will learn quickly what is expected of them. Lengthen the period of time that you leave them and try not to get stressed....they can read this in you.
ImageImage

Samdunn

Post by Samdunn » 03 Jan 2014, 17:37

Hi
Rob and Anna, I think our new pooch Sam may be Hamish's brother!!. We got him from Katie at Galloway labradoodles. We picked him up the Sunday before Christmas and I remember seeing Hamish, still in the pen. I'll post a picture up, Sam is very like Hamish but without the curls.
We've been using the crate from day one and Sam seems to like it. We've added a pen to the outside though for the first few nights he was jumping out of this. He cried at night a lot at start but it's improving, so two nights ago he went into crate at half 10 and no noise till 7. Last night he was up at 5, mainly cos he needs a pee so we're putting a puppy pad in pen at night till he can hold it longer. Day time toilet training gong well, having maybe one pee accident a day but he's pretty good at knowing how to pee and poo. Noticed your in Glasgow- so are we!. We're in Shawlands. Let me know how Hamish gets on x Claire

Benben

Post by Benben » 03 Jan 2014, 21:12

One more vote for a crate. Ursa is coming up to ten weeks old (on Monday, I think) and has been with me for exactly three weeks. I took a small blanket and swapped it for a smelly towel the litter had been sleeping on. Once that was mixed up with the other bedding in her crate she curled up in there happy as anything. She didn't cry that night and actually hasn't since. It's her safe place, although she did hurt herself (frighten herself as much as anything, I think) yesterday when she got her jaw stuck chewing at the bars!

I leave a training pad in there (the crate is oversized on the basis that she'll grow into it) and she can use that if she's caught short in the night. So most of the time she's down for the night by 11pm and wide awake by about 7.30-8. She's been dry through the night except for last night for some reason, and we haven't had a poo inside for about ten days. She seems to be a pretty self-contained little beast really, although she and the cat (Mungo, aged just 8) are still working out their boundaries.
Ursa: born 28.10.13

ImageImage

Rob&Anna

Post by Rob&Anna » 08 Jan 2014, 14:58

Hi everyone,

Thanks again for all the help on here, its good to know that a lot of other people have had similar experiences.

In the last few nights Hamish has really settled down well, at night time he now goes to bed without too much fuss, and we are able to put him in his bed and he will fall asleep shortly after. We havent got round to getting a crate as of yet being a bit strapped for cash after Christmas and crates tend to be quite expensive. Also to be honest we are in two minds as whether to get one or not now. We have had Hamish for two weeks now and he has always slept in his basket, so to introduce a crate may be difficult at this stage...

The last two nights he has slept all the way through and not woken up during the night needing the loo. He now usually wakes around 5-5.30 and he still cries and barks when he does until one of us goes to see him and take him outside to pee. He can then be difficult to get to settle back down to sleep and will cry a lot if we leave him, but he is getting better.

We have also been leaving him for longer periods during the day when Anna goes to work. She is only working short shifts just now so he is left for around 4 hours at a time which isnt too bad. He cries when we first leave, but our neighbours say he soons quietens down after 5 minutes or so.

He has been getting better each day so we are hoping that it wont be too long until he will sleep through the night and not get too stressed when he is on his own, and we can get some much needed sleep!

Thanks again for the advise.

p.s. yes Claire it sounds like Sam is Hamish's brother! we live if Croftfoot not far at all from Shawlands, its a small world!

Samdunn

Post by Samdunn » 08 Jan 2014, 21:47

Hi
Sounds like Hamish is doing well. With respect to the crate, you could put his bed inside so it's familiar and start off with door open. That's what we do. I'm a bit jealous of Hamish sleeping through, Sam is great at everything - except sleeping at night!. Think main issue is he still needs a pee and sometimes a poo at night and that unsettles him. He goes into crate fine a start of night but usually is up by 3 or 4 though he does eventually settle back down. We've not had to leave him much yet but started putting him in crate for 20 min spells when doing school and nursery runs and he seems fine with this. Recommend the kong idea- I fill it with a bit of his food, water and a spoon of peanut butter and then give him it in crate just when I leave and he doesn't even watch me go, too busy with his kong!.

sinah

Post by sinah » 11 Jan 2014, 11:54

Gorgeous labradoodle, looks very much like our puppy Ralph.

Ralph is now 6 months old and when we first got him at 8 weeks we crate trained him. The crate was in our bedroom and every time he woke up myself or my partner would get up and take him out for a wee. It was 4-6 times a night at first for the first few weeks and lots of bleary eyes and lost sleep but he started getting better.

After a month or so he didn't like going into his crate for his bed time so he began to sleep on the floor where he would sleep next to our bed all night. However the slightest movement would wake him up. So we bought a lovely big bed from mungo and maud and moved him to the kitchen. The kitchen is his space, and he now tends to go there to nap in the day and will then sleep there at night all the way through. It is very very tough at first and you do wonder when will it end, but they are just babies and start growing up quickly!