Annual injections?????????

General discussion on all labradoodle-related matters - anything not otherwise covered by specific forums on the site.
Jay128

Annual injections?????????

Post by Jay128 » 30 Dec 2013, 09:26

I have just realized that very soon the letter will arrive from our vet about the annual booster injections. I am sure I have read on here about these not always being necessary and that a blood teat can be done to determine if they are required or not.
Poppy doesn't go into kennels, we are lucky we have people eager to Poppy sit, but hubby presumes that if we ever had to that kennels wouldn't take her if she hadn't had them, is he right?
Any thoughts or your own experiences would be gratefully received :D .
ImageImage

Harvey Doodle

Re: Annual injections?????????

Post by Harvey Doodle » 30 Dec 2013, 10:25

I have heard of older dogs not requiring vaccinations but I think this was referring to dogs of 10 years old plus as they had developed a lifetime of immunity by then.

Yours is still a puppy and I would guess still vulnerable to the various doggy diseases.

I think your right that kennels won't accept dogs or cats unless their vaccinations are up to date, also I believe you need up to date certified vaccinations to get a pet passport.

Personally I wouldn't risk it.
Ken, Marion & Harvey
ImageImage

Webbs

Post by Webbs » 30 Dec 2013, 11:37

yep defo need up to date vaccinations to put them in kennels :) :)

tillytubbie

Post by tillytubbie » 30 Dec 2013, 14:11

I don't vaccinate, and haven't done for about 6 years. If you do you'd own research, you'll find that some of the vaccines last for 5-7 years. You can get a Titer test done if you wish. I have heard of too many things happening to dogs who are over vaccinated. Mine have their puppy injections, and that's it.
If you want to kennel or have a passport, then yes, they would need them doing.
Image Image Image

Bid

Post by Bid » 30 Dec 2013, 15:19

Most vets don't vaccinate for everything annually anyway. Mine were on a 3-yearly protocol with only lepto being given annually. I have started titre testing them now, and only vaccinating as and when they need it. I too have heard of too many health problems being caused by over-vaccinating.
www.dogtrekker.co.uk
Beauty without vanity, strength without insolence, courage without ferocity, and all the virtues of man without his vices - Byron

Seventiesboy

Post by Seventiesboy » 30 Dec 2013, 15:23

Even if your Dood doesn't go into kennels it will still be exposed to doggy bugs when out for walks, mooching around etc and therefore will be at risk unless there were no other dogs or foxes in the local community.
Any ethical vet will tell you that immunisation is important for the protection of your dog and also for the reduction in disease incidence within the community.
The situation is the same in humans.
Of course it is your choice but I have my dog fully immunisted not because she goes to kennels as she doesn't but simply to try and keep her healthy.
Disease prevention is always better.
IMHO only though :)
ImageImage

travis

Post by travis » 30 Dec 2013, 17:25

The only vaccination requirement for a passport is the rabies one which lasts 2 or 3 years although an annual booster is recommended and would be given as a matter of course in much of Europe.
The other treatments are on a per visit basis.

My vet hasn't suggested having any annual vaccines and he didn't even think it was worth having the kennel cough vaccine because Chica will not be staying in kennels. I know that isn't the only way to catch kennel cough but he's the professional.

Useful information for anyone heading across the channel by car.Driving to Portugal Our Way
Mechanical Rodeo Bull Hire For private parties & fun days.

Jay128

Post by Jay128 » 30 Dec 2013, 17:28

Thanks all, we are going to France in the summer and intend to take Poppy with us so jabs it is but I will look into it more especially if there is a test that can show she is still immune to some infections. :D
ImageImage

Bid

Post by Bid » 30 Dec 2013, 17:46

Seventiesboy wrote: Any ethical vet will tell you that immunisation is important for the protection of your dog and also for the reduction in disease incidence within the community.
Sorry - I don't agree with that - any ethical vet will explain how immunisation works, and that your dog will have immunity for many years. Any unethical vet will take your money for annual vaccinations that are unnecessary! You are right in saying that the situation is the same for humans though - we only get our vaccinations once, not every year!

You are also right in saying that the dogs are exposed to bugs daily - when we had Daisy's titres done her count for parvo was sky-high - showing that she had been in contact with the virus and her immune system had fired up and protected her - without annual re-vaccination.
www.dogtrekker.co.uk
Beauty without vanity, strength without insolence, courage without ferocity, and all the virtues of man without his vices - Byron

Nicky

Post by Nicky » 30 Dec 2013, 20:01

I always have had Dexter vaccinated from a puppy. I always
would worry if I didn't its catch 22. But looking back I would now
have had the 1st vaccinations and then a blood test to see if
they needed the rest. I have read they can be bad for longterm
health. We did everthing by the book and Dexter has unfortunately got bone cancer one thing we didnt worry about!:( What I would say, just to add from research i've done neuter or spay after a year if your going to, and feed raw or meat if you
feed kibble go for grain free.x

Seventiesboy

Post by Seventiesboy » 30 Dec 2013, 20:29

Bid wrote:
Seventiesboy wrote: Any ethical vet will tell you that immunisation is important for the protection of your dog and also for the reduction in disease incidence within the community.
Sorry - I don't agree with that - any ethical vet will explain how immunisation works, and that your dog will have immunity for many years. Any unethical vet will take your money for annual vaccinations that are unnecessary! You are right in saying that the situation is the same for humans though - we only get our vaccinations once, not every year!

You are also right in saying that the dogs are exposed to bugs daily - when we had Daisy's titres done her count for parvo was sky-high - showing that she had been in contact with the virus and her immune system had fired up and protected her - without annual re-vaccination.
Sorry but your medical science is not quite correct.
Dogs, humans and all animals are exposed to bacteria/viruses etc daily.
Humans do not only have one injection.
Children have courses and boosters thoughout their development.
Tetanus is required regularly until a certain number have been given.
Hepatitis B requires boosters every 4 years
Influenza should be offered annually to at risk groups.
Etc, etc, etc.

The facts are very clear that disease prevention is better than having to cure an illness. Look at the evidence on small pox eradication vs small pox deaths for an example.

I am pleased that her Parvo titres are still high and that her vacc for this isn't required at present. You may be aware that antibody titres will degrade over time and that the degradation rate will not necessarily be linear. So how often should the blood test for titres be done? Vaccination schedules are based on research evidence from the study of animals or humans and are directed at the best possible advice for good health.

I firmly believe that any ethical vet will discuss the pros and cons of immunisation with a pet owner whatever that pet may be.

It is a PERSONAL opinion but I would rather that my dog was protected than be put at risk.

You have the choice when you pay your money to a vet and you must have a vet that you can trust.

My REAL opinion is that questions such as this on dog vaccination should be posed directly to the vet and if the vet is not trusted then another vet should be approached.

Who knows on a public forum who is giving what advice and whether they are qualified to do so.

Who knows, I may be a shopkeeper, an immunologist, a bin man or even a vet.

You may be a vet or a GP for all I know.

I would approach my vet or vet nurse for advice like this.

As I said this is only MY PERSONAL OPINION and my priority is MY dog's well being :D
ImageImage

Bid

Post by Bid » 30 Dec 2013, 20:58

You're absolutely right - of course consulting a good vet who is up on the latest research is a must - luckily for me my vet is also an immunologist. Unfortunately not all vets are knowlegable in all areas - you just have to look at those recommending and selling very poor quality food to their customers to know that.
www.dogtrekker.co.uk

Seventiesboy

Post by Seventiesboy » 30 Dec 2013, 21:04

Bid wrote:You're absolutely right - of course consulting a good vet who is up on the latest research is a must - luckily for me my vet is also an immunologist. Unfortunately not all vets are knowlegable in all areas - you just have to look at those recommending and selling very poor quality food to their customers to know that.
I couldn't agree more and would always encourage people to shop around and take advice to find a vet that they trust.

We all have our pets welfare at heart.
ImageImage

Clairejen

Post by Clairejen » 30 Dec 2013, 22:41

Thanks all, we are going to France in the summer and intend to take Poppy with us so jabs it is but I will look into it more especially if there is a test that can show she is still immune to some infections. :D
Only the rabies jab is necessary for visits to France. The passport requires vaccination 21 days before the date of return to the UK, and lasts for two years (ie the official rule is to have the dog revaccinated before two years are up or else you have to do the 21 days wait again). The defra website gives all necessary information, https://www.gov.uk/take-pet-abroad
You have between 1 and 5 days before your return to get the worming treatment done and certified.
Claire
slave of Leon & Sally
Image Image

Gracie's mums

Post by Gracie's mums » 31 Dec 2013, 07:24

Ooo, always a passionate topic! I think you need to do what is best for you and yours. I, personally, only had my baby vaccines. My mum didn't agree with it and is a homeopath so it wasn't ever going to happen. I tend to agree. Friends with children would ask my opinion and I would always comment that I was going to be biased and they should do their own research!

Gracie has had puppy jabs, probably won't have a anymore. My family GSD x collie had the same and is now a lovely 12 year old going on five and has had two vet visits in her entire life. Other people will have different experiences and that could promote vaccination.

Good to know about the jabs needed for France, might think about a road trip when she's a wee bit older!

Becky xx
Gracie, Becky and Laura

ImageImage