including the UK Labradoodle Register
email: info@labradoodle.org.uk
It is currently 15 Sep 2019, 19:38

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: To those who have little dogs
PostPosted: 04 Jan 2014, 00:35 

I would like another dog. I have had two dogs most of my adult life and now find myself just with my Jackydoodle. I know it sounds crazy but I am so mad about him I think it would be healthier to have another! He is like a precious only child and I am always fussing over him, which fortunately he loves!

Our cottage is bursting at the seams with the 3 children, Jack and Gary the guinea pig so I am considering a little dog. Hoping to find one in a rescue needing a loving home but having only had big dogs I need educating in the best little breed for us.

We live at the foot of a forest and Jack often vanishes into the woods for long enough to give me palpitations so I have pretty much ruled out a terrier. My friend has borders, a breed I love, but they are too fond of badger sets and I could not cope with the worry this brings.

My husband likes Mini schnauzers. They look very cute but I have no experience of them. I am open to suggestion.

Anyone suggest a good small breed or mixed breed dog for a family, tolerant of the doodles wiley ways? :)

Post subject: Re: To those who have little dogs
PostPosted: 04 Jan 2014, 00:43 

If you can put up with the grooming, I reckon bichon would be worth looking at. They don't have to have the fluffed up look - just as a doodle doesn't have to have a poodle cut. They are little characters, and the ones I have come across deal beautifully with doodles. This is my sisters little bichon playing with my giant Beam

PostPosted: 04 Jan 2014, 01:30 

Thanks Bid. I will have a look at them. My friend has a cavachon and he is really funny. He drives Jack a bit crazy becaus he has a bit of an obssesion with Jack's willy but that could just be him!! My friend is very pleased with him, her only two complaints are yapping and rubbish recall but again this could just be him.

They are cute! I like poodles too without the bad haircuts!

PostPosted: 04 Jan 2014, 01:56 

Perhaps a Havanese. Considered hypoallergenic, small and very much a people dog. My folks have one... he's scared of Bodhi, but I would be if I was him too... :lol:

PostPosted: 04 Jan 2014, 11:42 

Oh I have no idea what a Havenese looks like! Off to look them up!!!

PostPosted: 04 Jan 2014, 12:20 

I have three Chihuahua crosses (two pictured below) Rupert (on the left)is a Yorkie X Chi , now 14yrs old but has been a super little chap.
Amos (to the right) is a miniature poodle x Chi, he has the poodles intelligence and the Chihuahua's loyalty plus he is very portable and doesn't moult :lol:
I also have Eli who is 3/4 Chi and a 1/4 Poodle also very bright and extremely loyal.
I believe any dog with Poodle in their breding are really bright and bidable dogs and they all get on really well with my Doods.
Good luck in your search :)

PostPosted: 04 Jan 2014, 13:05 

A mini doodle!!! Rig is 16in to the shoulder at mo! And absolutely brilliant, although I might be biased?? :D

PostPosted: 04 Jan 2014, 17:55 

Poppy is fully grown and about 16in to the shoulder. Or how about a toy cockerpoo? We looked at a litter of these when choosing Poppy and they were very cute. :D

PostPosted: 04 Jan 2014, 20:07 

A cockerpoo, they are gorgeous.

ImageImageImageImageImageImage

PostPosted: 04 Jan 2014, 23:43 

I have to say I love my little Bichon. They are brilliant dogs. I wasn't keen on small dogs before Betsy arrived! She isn't fragile, and can tolerate rough & tumble (she usually instigates it!!) easily keeps up on long walks, and is quite intelligent. She is shaping up to be a fab little agility dog!
There is the occasional squeak if Tilly steps on her but that's it. They are inseparable best buddies and quite a pair!!

PostPosted: 05 Jan 2014, 23:03 

My little Maisy (on the right of the picture) is a Bichon / King Charles cross.

She is a tiny, titch and has a soft wavy coat which i can put a comb through in a bout 5 mins, once a week. I wash her face (well wipe her eyes) every day as she gets eye woogies. She is very small as you can see - my old westie (who is also small for her breed) is a little larger.

Although she was completely bonkers for the first year or so, she is now a lovely gentle natured little sweetheart.

Cluck! cluck!......Awe, I do love my girlies :D

PostPosted: 06 Jan 2014, 17:59 

minkersmum wrote:
Oh I have no idea what a Havenese looks like! Off to look them up!!!

Much like a Bichon I'd say... I believe they are closely related. Very nice temperament.

And I like that you can give them dreads... which I suspect would make for easier cleaning...! :roll:

My folks keep theirs trimmed quite short. He feels like a plush toy and doesn't drop any fur that you can detect. Stays quite clean too.

PostPosted: 07 Jan 2014, 20:40 

Aw they are all lovely wee toots!
I have looked at cockerpoos. Quite like the look of them although with the spaniel in them do they not need an unbelievable amount of exercise?
At the moment Jack is more than happy with two half hour off lead walks round the forest. He often gets more but he is clearly content with the two half hours and on days of a big couple of hours walk he sleeps (snoring) for the rest of the day. Give him a friend to walk/play with and he is even more exhausted!!

Does anyone have a terrier/terrier cross that is easy going and not a little terrorist? I do find I am attracted to the looks of terriers, borders, lakelands, fox, any wirey cheeky face really!!

PostPosted: 07 Jan 2014, 20:55 

minkersmum wrote:
Does anyone have a terrier/terrier cross that is easy going and not a little terrorist?

BWAAAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

I'm sure there has been a genetic mutation once or twice during the history of the earth that caused a terrier to be born NOT a terrorist... but selecting for that at the puppy stage would be like buying a lottery ticket! :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: 07 Jan 2014, 21:57 

Ah yes that is my fear Beeeerock!!
I would prefer a non terrorist adult rescue. My old mongrel was a terrier cross but she wasn't little she was medium sized and had collie in her. She was a fab dog. Very bright and loyal. She was a rescue and was very nervous at first with an obvious fear of men. She came round quickly and once you had her trust she was loyal and protective. She also lived until she was around 18 and proved terrier like til the very end. My Great dane was pts one year and my wee mongrel the next (at twice the age of my Dane) For my G Dane the euthanasia was peaceful and calm, my terrier the opposite and fought to the end despite her advanced years. God I loved that old girl.