Mud, mud, everywhere....

General discussion on all labradoodle-related matters - anything not otherwise covered by specific forums on the site.
Roodlepippin

Mud, mud, everywhere....

Post by Roodlepippin » 10 Jan 2014, 00:10

This is our first winter with a dog and I'm wondering whether any of you hardened souls out there have any good tips to help deal with a dirty wet dog and their dirty wet towels.

Woody is out 2x a day and it is creating a bit of a laundry crisis! We have towels in the boot of the car, at front door and back door, two turtle mats in the same positions, and yet everything is sopping wet and covered in mud at all times. All of my trousers and jackets are wearing out from being washed 2-3 times per week and my car is perpetually steamed up.

I'm not remotely house-proud generally, but there does come a time in every week where I just feel despair at ever seeing a clean floor or paw-print-free carpet ever again!

Any tips / recommendations gratefully received...

Liz!!

Re: Mud, mud, everywhere....

Post by Liz!! » 10 Jan 2014, 00:47

Get a hot line to your hose and hose them in the garden before letting them in?

I would have a breakdown if I had this to deal with - i just pick Lola up, put her in the bath on a rubber mat and shower her off after every walk.

If she was the sort to stay out going to the loo I'd take her on a lead and bring her in as soon as it was done - not getting muddy! they don't need to go out to the loo more than twice a day - a least lola doesn't! As it is she can't wait to get back in, and always stays on the grass.

I have a friend who has fitted a very large sink with a mixer tap in the utility and does her dog in there - and if you have a downstairs shower, that is a good way of getting them clean as well.

Another friend has a sort of chamois (pronounced 'shammy') leather cloth which she says gets all the dirt off easily before they are allowed in the house.

Oh, and edit to say - don't use ordinary towels, only use micofibre - they dry in minutes.
Lola is a UK Assistance Dog, trained to alert me for low blood sugar by Medical Detection Dogs (http://www.medicaldetectiondogs.org.uk)

Pollydoodle

Post by Pollydoodle » 10 Jan 2014, 00:50

:shock: Paw-print-free carpet or tile -does this exist??

For the car - no towels - Unless you are lucky enough to drape a towel over muddy/soaking doodle before they shake it all over the inside of the car. :roll: Get a piece or two of vet bed for the car boot if he is in there. Washes and dries so quickly that by the time you have finished cleaning everything else and sit down for a cuppa - the vet bed is near dry
Otherwise water proof type seat covers are good ,car will still mist up though... welcome to winter with your dog :wink:
If it helps the days are already getting longer and the bulbs having started to show.
Spring is on it's way (personally am hoping for snow in Feb 8) )

AustinsMumma

Post by AustinsMumma » 10 Jan 2014, 10:34

There is no solution on this planet :shock: None
My house is a cr*p hole!! The kitchen floor was cream... it's now a grey / black. Constantly
The dining room floor is luckily dark brown tiles, but you can *feel* the grainy dry muddy sand when you walk over it
The front room carpet was a light greeney colour. It's now.... a 'meh' colour :roll:

As soon as we get in, I come through the rear garden, straight into bath. Twice a day. Then the bathroom gets soaked, there's black splashes everywhere, and the bath has been partially blocked for a few months now :|

Towels, towels, towels :shock: :shock: :shock:

It is a very tiresome daily chore.
Come on summer!!!!!!!!!!!

...edit: (A worse problem for me is our garden! Auz wants to go out there approx 10 times a day, and every time back in..... dirty feets :x We have even laid straw down on the worse patch of muddy grass up the top to try and halt the mud tides :| )
Austin Doodle came to town riding on a pony......
Austin's profession?... Eating Mummy's STEAK
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Niandsa

Post by Niandsa » 10 Jan 2014, 11:10

I'm too fed up with mud! We are out in the garden with Rosie every 20 to 30min. It is so waterlogged that if I wear my crocs the muddy water oozes over the tops and I get wet feet. :evil: The dogs must be getting their feet cleaned 20 times a day. :( I have turtle mats at both front and back doors and they do help but I am washing them every other day. Vetbed is great for the car and to drape over their beds at home whilst they dry off. :D This morning for the first time ever I resorted to hosing Poppy down outside after her walk with a COLD hose. She HATED it and I feel really guilty. :(

The house is suffering from mud and toilet training accidents. :roll: Yesterday my son wore a pair of white socks and I was horrified by the colour of them when he took them off last night. :lol: Mopping the hard floors (again :roll: ) is on my list of things to do today.

Has anyone tried any of the new Vanish range for carpets? I have bought the powder that you shake over and then hoover up. Meant to remove 5x more dirt than hovering alone.... :wink: I'll let you know how I get on.
ImageImage
Poppy and Rosie

Doodle Dee

Post by Doodle Dee » 10 Jan 2014, 11:15

My goomer says she has a quilt on the floor and the dog goes to that and stays until she gets dry and is told to get off (her dog relaxes after a walk) actually Lulu is more hyper after her walk

I don't do that but do try and dry her before she goes into the house but just her paws (remember those paws inside) and I have a microfibre towelling coat also if she is really wet. Also I use the onsie coat - which does help a lot. I too have a vet bed in the car

I think a dog comes with dirt - Lulu has decided to start "shedding" a bit so I have wet hairs on the floors which is hard to clear up

c'est la vie -power to the dog
Lulu & Dx

ImageImage

EstelleB

Post by EstelleB » 10 Jan 2014, 11:18

We're the same, wet muddy towels everywhere. My Mum says it reminds her of her house when me & my brother were kids, it may not be perfect but it is what a home should look like :D
ImageImage

travis

Post by travis » 10 Jan 2014, 11:42

Roodlepippin wrote:Any tips / recommendations gratefully received...
I find a bottle of wine helps no end! :D

On a more helpful note: We have a waterproof seat cover on the back seat of the car with a towel on top to soak up excess water :roll: It works very well and wasn't expensive off ebay.
On the subject of steaming up the inside of the car: If you have air conditioning, many people are not aware that the system also dehumidifies, so running it even in winter on a warm setting will help clear the windows.

Useful information for anyone heading across the channel by car.Driving to Portugal Our Way
Mechanical Rodeo Bull Hire For private parties & fun days.

Roodlepippin

Post by Roodlepippin » 10 Jan 2014, 12:48

Thanks for the replies, everyone. At least I know I am not alone!

I'm gonna get some vet bed for the car - what's the best / cheapest way to buy it? Ebay? And is it worth paying extra for the 'gold' version?

I did notice the way air conditioning dehumidifies the car very quickly - even pre-dog, the old Honda was always terrible for steaming up. Unfortunately one of the reasons we've bought a new(er) car is because the Honda's air conditioning stopped working about 2 years ago. Hopefully the next one will be fully functional.

Interesting about the microfibre - I got a sewing machine for Christmas and have just bought four cheap microfibre towels with a view to stitching them together into a sort of doggy-dressing-gown for Woody to wear when he gets into the car dripping wet. I am a complete amateur seamstress though, so it could be a disaster. If I manage it, I will post photos...

And yes, the hose stands ready on the patio for giving poor Woody another cold drenching. The look on his face when I try to get him out the back door to hose him off is an absolute picture, but he puts up with it fairly stoically. Unfortunately the minute I release him he does a mad doodle dash around the (quagmire) garden which spatters everthing with mud and renders the exercise a bit pointless.

HURRY UP SUMMER!!! Either that, or snow. Snow would be funny (for the first couple of days, anyway!)

Jasper

Post by Jasper » 10 Jan 2014, 13:04

I feel your pain!
Garden - we took up the grass and laid stones! This had an instant positive effect on our carpets! Aiming for fake lawn when we can afford it! :lol: :lol:
Although its not a pretty garden, but then the mud was not pretty either and it had the consistency of plasticine. hey ho.
I bought a microfiber towel from PaH and it has a pocket each end to put your hands in to rub your dog. Need more of these cos its great!
Other than that, I've got nothing!
All you peeps wishing for sumer!! we still get mud cos it rains when its not supposed to!! :cry: :cry: :cry: :lol:

I'm hoping we get a ground freeze, like we did last year.
That's the best of all worlds for me, no livestock in the fields, no mud and its not too hot!!!!

Jo and Jasper
x
Forgot to say we have gold vetbed in the car - also brilliant! still have ordinary towels as well though.
x

dexysback

Post by dexysback » 10 Jan 2014, 13:22

Thats funny just thinking the same thing as i finished house work,but having finished out goes dexter and in comes paw marks all over.I also have cream tiles in kictchen which i hate i wis i had gone for the grey.I also have wooden floors all over the house ,but still see all hes fur everywhere.I feel ashamend wen anyone comes to my house it could do with painting all through and even when i done my house work never feels totaly clean,my grandaughters socks are also filthy when shes comes down .I would love to be house pround but being a animal lover new it could never be,its what you take on when you have a dog all the bad bits aswell as the good.Dexter doesnt wee that much in a day but does more then two a day more like six.
ImageImage

Zetti Doodle

Post by Zetti Doodle » 10 Jan 2014, 14:04

We're having the same issues here :roll:

Rossetti being that much more grown up at nearly two, doesn't need to go out to the loo as many times, but young Raphaella (currently sporting a humungous Elizabethan collar as a result of being neutered yesterday, bless :lol: ) is still not too good at holding on :roll:

We have a gravelled terrace - quite a large area about 50' x 45' - that is Raffi's preferred toileting location, but even so she insists on wandering off to the lawn (and stream if we're not careful :roll: ) and turning it into a game.

Partially as a result of the bad weather, but also 'cos of necessity now she's handicapped by the collar, we've taken to keeping a lead on her for toilet breaks. Zetti otoh will only do his business on the lawn and I too have been having the *wet croc* experience if going out there with him - which is necessary to stop him wading off upstream somewhere :shock:

In December we had a ground floor shower room installed which currently is for the exclusive use of the two of them (lucky dogs - somewhat more luxurious than the external hot tap that our plumber never got round to fitting, eh?!?) as we have our own upstairs :wink: This has been a godsend in the recent wet/muddy conditions we experience on walks in *wet Wiltshire* :lol: We do need to invest in some of those microfibre towels though.....sounds like a great idea :D
Mimi, Rossetti and Raphaella, the Spanish Water Dog x

[url=http://pitapata.com]Image[url]

Roodlepippin

Post by Roodlepippin » 10 Jan 2014, 14:29

Ten minutes on the sewing machine... I'm quite pleased with myself!

And here he is as Jedi Master Woody... thank god he doesn't know how to use a light-sabre.

Niandsa

Post by Niandsa » 10 Jan 2014, 15:55

I got my vetbed from profleece website. They offer a small discount if you buy 2 pieces of the same size. I bought the ultimate quality green back and it is as thick, if not thicker, than the piece of Original Gold Vetbed I already own. :D
ImageImage
Poppy and Rosie

canteron

Post by canteron » 10 Jan 2014, 16:00

Top tips ………..

1. Dye the dog black - the mud shows up less.

2. I have a Cordless Dyson Animal, if you let the mud dry it really is every so good at getting mud off floors, rugs, etc and means I can very quickly make my muddy kitchen almost presentable with relatively little effort.

3. Best tip ….. move somewhere warmer and dryer for the Winter.

You are definitely not in this alone. As you can tell, I too feel your pain!