Mud, mud, everywhere....

General discussion on all labradoodle-related matters - anything not otherwise covered by specific forums on the site.
Helen & Rigby

Re: Mud, mud, everywhere....

Post by Helen & Rigby » 10 Jan 2014, 16:09

I got mine from the bedding box. I have a cover and vet bed on the back seat of the car. I tried to use it in the house but rig keeps trying to eat it :x :lol: so Hamish bunny has it instead to keep his little botty warm. :D

I feel your pain with the mud. Fortunately we have laminate and a leather sofa but still the mud bath thing. I just keep thinking I'd rather have the mud and the pup than the clean and no pup! :D we must hang on in there for the drier weather! :D
ImageImage

Ianto!

Post by Ianto! » 10 Jan 2014, 17:18

My musings on mud...

1) Get used to it!
2) Buy the kids slippers.
3) Learn to ignore that vague crunching sound underfoot
4) Never invite the neighbours round
5) Canteron - it still shows on the black ones, and worse, it still rubs off...
6) Pollydoodle - are you fixing to go away on holiday in February??
7) Snow with a curly dood is definitely not fun - from Day 1, when it makes huge snowballs on their legs.... such fun!!!
8) Someone I know has had hot water piped into a builders 'bath' outside...
9) I see from the photo that you've already taken Travis' advice!!!
10) Learn the words to that Flanders and Swan song, and hum it to yourself as you mop...

Anne & Ianto x :lol:

Edited to ask - What happened to point 8??
Last edited by Ianto! on 10 Jan 2014, 17:20, edited 2 times in total.

Oscar2011

Post by Oscar2011 » 10 Jan 2014, 17:19

travis wrote:
Roodlepippin wrote:Any tips / recommendations gratefully received...
I find a bottle of wine helps no end! :D

On a more helpful note: We have a waterproof seat cover on the back seat of the car with a towel on top to soak up excess water :roll: It works very well and wasn't expensive off ebay.
On the subject of steaming up the inside of the car: If you have air conditioning, many people are not aware that the system also dehumidifies, so running it even in winter on a warm setting will help clear the windows.
Never heard of using wine to get rid of mud from doodle, car, floor etc.

What exactly do you do, do you use it neat or water it down. :lol:

Oscar & hoomans.

Mens sana in corpore sano.

Crazy flying dog,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3n5aKvfznuQ

Life of a Labradoodle,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rWFkOb39sv4

oakesr

Post by oakesr » 10 Jan 2014, 17:31

We're not too bad for mud, it's the water dripping off beard, all over floor, that I hate :evil:

You've reminded me I need another turtle mat :roll: I also hate that gritty feeling underfoot on the hard floors. Roma also sheds :( I have no idea how people cope with carpeted houses and dirty dogs.
Rachel & Roma

Ianto!

Post by Ianto! » 10 Jan 2014, 17:40

oakesr wrote: I have no idea how people cope with carpeted houses and dirty dogs.
Badly... :lol:
Anne & Ianto x

suebedo

Post by suebedo » 10 Jan 2014, 19:18

I too got a new sewing machine before Christmas. The first thing I made was........

I'm going to make another for Florence as her one was a pretty lemon colour - was is the operative word! It was also much thinner towelling and it is just not as nice.

I wash my floor using my iSccoba which does an OK job but at least takes no effort. The dogs are also left in the orangery for about 30 minutes to dry the worst off when we first get home - they are also wearing their onesies if they've been out with the dog walker which has saved my sanity in this weather.

Roodlepippin

Post by Roodlepippin » 10 Jan 2014, 19:44

Haha! You lot do make me laugh!

I have leather sofas and - mostly - wooden floors too (thank god, with two boys and a muck-hound). I am the only one who cares about the state of the house, and thus the only one who feels the need for slippers (and quite often blinkers and ear plugs too).

The only downside with wooden floors is the tumbleweed of dog hair that collect in corners and around the shoe rack. It is quite disgusting and makes the floor look like it hasn't been cleaned in months even if it's only been two days. I have never hoovered and swept as much as I have in the past six months. And, as someone who wears mostly black and grey, getting a cream dog was not my best idea.

But for all of this moaning I do love him to bits and he has added hugely to our lives so I will just have to bloody well deal with it...

I can't quite get my head around the price of the vet bed - even the pro-fleece stuff. Is it really worth it? Should I get two pieces for the car so that one can be in the wash or is one enough?

Ps I am currently taking the advice about the wine and it is definitely helping!

Pps just seen suebedo's photo which puts mine to shame! I love the piping! Is it fastened underneath or just hanging?

Roodlepippin

Post by Roodlepippin » 10 Jan 2014, 19:48

Ppps subedo we REALLY need an updated photo of Florence! How old is she in your signature? She must be 10 times that size by now!

suebedo

Post by suebedo » 10 Jan 2014, 20:25

Yes I do need to get a new photo, she is pretty much the same size as Fozzie now. I have made a "strap" about 2" wide that goes underneath. I need to increase the Velcro bits as well as they can wriggle out of it if we're not careful.

oakesr

Post by oakesr » 10 Jan 2014, 21:00

Having just had 10 minutes notice of an impending visitor, I also wanted to share my other solution - keep the hall lights off and burn yankee candles, creates a lovely smell and means visitors don't see the muddy hall floor :lol:
Rachel & Roma

Bid

Post by Bid » 10 Jan 2014, 21:13

Lol - I have all that mud time three - I dread to think how Cate manages with however many dogs she has! I dream of having a downstairs wet room, instead I have a muddy lounge :(

I have an emergency plan for unexpected visitors though - a cordless hoover (OK on hard floors - would be no good on carpets) and a battery operated flash mop. I can clean the floors in seconds that way, but only to slutty standards.
www.dogtrekker.co.uk
Beauty without vanity, strength without insolence, courage without ferocity, and all the virtues of man without his vices - Byron

Kirstie & Murphy

Post by Kirstie & Murphy » 10 Jan 2014, 21:26

The way forward is artificial grass and a heated outdoor shower :D

The plumber thought I was mad but it was well worth every penny and even his laughing at my expense :lol:
Kirstie & Murphy
Image Image

poppygreen

Post by poppygreen » 10 Jan 2014, 22:10

OH has plumbed in an outside shower to wash down our 2 Dudes, so they get tied to the fence, warm shower, shake, rub down, run round the garden, breakfast and drying off snooze in the sun room. It has given us back hours of washing, mopping and brushing off dried mud. They have never been so clean! [said smugly...]

Liz!!

Post by Liz!! » 10 Jan 2014, 22:37

oakesr wrote: I have no idea how people cope with carpeted houses and dirty dogs.
Fine, with the bathing each time! Today she got utterly covered up to her armpits, took 10 mins to get it all off, but it did come off! My carpets are still cream after 4 years and no gritty feeling on the floor at all, that would drive me mad...

I'm definitely never getting a dog too big to carry to the bath, or moving next time to a house with a wet room at the back door...
Lola is a UK Assistance Dog, trained to alert me for low blood sugar by Medical Detection Dogs (http://www.medicaldetectiondogs.org.uk)

molsp

Post by molsp » 10 Jan 2014, 22:50

Lola hates the hose its much too cold for her this weather, so if she gets really mucky I bring her straight in and take her into the shower (I am lucky enough to have one downstairs) and I do also use the overall which I think is brilliant, I wouldn't be without it now.

At the moment I am also only letting them out the front for toilet as its all gravel and block paving - though I do have a load of towels still on the floor by the front door, to save my lovely oak floor :?