Deer Antlers

General discussion on all labradoodle-related matters - anything not otherwise covered by specific forums on the site.
Douglas

Deer Antlers

Post by Douglas » 18 Feb 2014, 18:50

I have just seen a post on Facebook saying vets in America want to ban the sale of Deer antlers due to record numbers of dogs suffering from broken teeth. I have taken Ottos off him at the moment until I can find more info.

beeeerock

Re: Deer Antlers

Post by beeeerock » 18 Feb 2014, 19:29

Douglas wrote:I have just seen a post on Facebook saying vets in America want to ban the sale of Deer antlers due to record numbers of dogs suffering from broken teeth. I have taken Ottos off him at the moment until I can find more info.
If it's real deer antler, you may be best to do as you've done. They are ridiculously hard.

This link is commercial in nature, so take if for what it's worth, but it does offer some interesting comments about antlers in general: http://www.mountaindogchews.com/antlers ... ws-wisely/

It's important to find a way to keep tartar buildup from occurring though... gingivitis and poor oral health in general is thought to be a significant factor in lifespan (or lack thereof) in dogs. I'd wager it's a bigger factor than the raw/dry nutritional debate can claim (not withstanding the chewing/cleaning effect often attributed to bones). We brush (enzymatic toothpaste) and scale our dog's teeth. It's not something they enjoy at first, but accept after time. However, we've found that this product is doing a better job than brushing alone (Does that sound like a tv commercial?? Just add a line about 4 out of 5 dentists... :lol: ):

http://www.virbacvet.com/products/detai ... alth/chews

The enzymes are what are most valuable! I recall a suggestion that dogs were choking on these things. I don't have any details on that and have not seen any suggestion of a problem under our roof... but I'd make sure they were sized appropriately (large enough) to be a challenge to the dog and not a snack!

Douglas

Post by Douglas » 18 Feb 2014, 23:07

Thanks for the info Beeeerock, its appreciated.

Bid

Post by Bid » 18 Feb 2014, 23:32

When the reports first came out, the response from the antler industry was that in their experience the dogs that get damaged teeth from chewing generally have some sort of defect beforehand such as a cracked tooth - obviously that wouldn't be an unbiased view though. I've not had any problems so far, but my dogs currently have the antlers from fallow deer which are softer (but don't last as long as a consequence).
www.dogtrekker.co.uk
Beauty without vanity, strength without insolence, courage without ferocity, and all the virtues of man without his vices - Byron

EstelleB

Post by EstelleB » 19 Feb 2014, 11:03

Hi Bid, where did you get your antlers from? We have one of the regular ones which I have always thought was a bit hard, and to be honest Tia isn't really very interested in it!
ImageImage

thepadster

Post by thepadster » 19 Feb 2014, 11:30

Thanks Beerrock, have also just ordered some of that toothpaste and some chicken flavoured just in case Paddy needs coercing.
ImageImage

Niandsa

Post by Niandsa » 19 Feb 2014, 14:14

Poppy has a fallow antler from here

http://www.antlerdogchews.co.uk/antler- ... #container

They are still tough - she has had hers for months and there is still plenty of chew left!
ImageImage
Poppy and Rosie

Bid

Post by Bid » 19 Feb 2014, 15:16

That's where we get our from. The whole antlers last ages, but the ones that are cut seem to go very quickly.
www.dogtrekker.co.uk
Beauty without vanity, strength without insolence, courage without ferocity, and all the virtues of man without his vices - Byron

beeeerock

Post by beeeerock » 19 Feb 2014, 18:12

thepadster wrote:Thanks Beerrock, have also just ordered some of that toothpaste and some chicken flavoured just in case Paddy needs coercing.
Bodhi has a beef-flavoured enzymatic toothpaste from not sure where... there were a few wrestling matches to get the teeth brushed at the start (when still using his sharp puppy teeth). He's not too bad now, but still doesn't look forward to it like the last dog did. We're trying to get him used to an electric spin brush, but let's just say, "that's a work in progress".

Consider a child's toothbrush if the mouth is too small for an adult sized version. Two or three times a week is supposed to be adequate, but I'd probably try for every second day. As you've probably observed, it's the back teeth that need the most attention.

If you're really brave, see if you can get an old dental scaling tool from your dentist... it's tricky work, but they can really improve the plaque situation.

Liz!!

Post by Liz!! » 19 Feb 2014, 18:28

Hmm... the virba chews sold in this country are not hide-based - they say they are veggie, and I was pleased and about to order.

But no- when i read the ingredients I saw they are made from corn starch and rice - by the time they've munched one of these a day they may as well have a kibble with maize in.
Lola is a UK Assistance Dog, trained to alert me for low blood sugar by Medical Detection Dogs (http://www.medicaldetectiondogs.org.uk)

beeeerock

Post by beeeerock » 19 Feb 2014, 19:16

Liz!! wrote:Hmm... the virba chews sold in this country are not hide-based - they say they are veggie, and I was pleased and about to order.

But no- when i read the ingredients I saw they are made from corn starch and rice - by the time they've munched one of these a day they may as well have a kibble with maize in.
I found the UK site and note that they don't even look like the same thing. Too bad, because we have seen a very noticeable reduction in plaque on the back teeth. Not to mention, it keeps him busy for an hour when we really need a break... :lol:

It would be interesting to send them an email and ask why they don't offer the product in the UK.

Now I'm wondering if the choking concern I heard about was more related to a Virbac product similar to the one you found, rather than the type we're using. :?

I'd definitely recommend some type of enzymatic toothpaste though, if you're not already using it. The enzymes really do seem to break down the plaque as advertised.