Daily Mail Today

General discussion on all labradoodle-related matters - anything not otherwise covered by specific forums on the site.
norton1989

Daily Mail Today

Post by norton1989 » 21 Feb 2014, 16:56

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... tions.html

In todays Daily Mail: the article gives some poor reading on poodle crosses.

I just cannot recognise any of it in relation to my wonderful Henry.

Andy.

Martina daly

Re: Daily Mail Today

Post by Martina daly » 21 Feb 2014, 17:49

Am I stupid,does puppy farming happen to other so called pedigree dogs as well.Another bit of doodle bashing!!!!

Bid

Post by Bid » 21 Feb 2014, 17:51

Well they are right about the crosses being vulnerable to the health problems of both parent breeds, but it's a shame they made no mention of all the breeders out there doing it right. And I think it's wrong of the trust to bang on about the apparent behaviour problems, becuase they don't get to see a balanced view - they are inevitably going to see more of the problem dogs , and not the ones that are fine.
www.dogtrekker.co.uk
Beauty without vanity, strength without insolence, courage without ferocity, and all the virtues of man without his vices - Byron

Bid

Post by Bid » 21 Feb 2014, 17:52

Martina daly wrote:Am I stupid,does puppy farming happen to other so called pedigree dogs as well.Another bit of doodle bashing!!!!

Of course it does happen with pedigrees, but maybe it's easier with crossbreeds because there are no papers to fake, as crossbreeds can't be registered. :|
www.dogtrekker.co.uk
Beauty without vanity, strength without insolence, courage without ferocity, and all the virtues of man without his vices - Byron

Roodlepippin

Post by Roodlepippin » 21 Feb 2014, 18:53

Dear god, what a jumbled, mixed up, ill-informed pile of rubbish.

I've spent most of my career as a journalist, and if I'd written something like that I'd have hung my head in shame. But then it is the Daily Mail - it's a laughable comic for bigots. My mother-in-law reads it and believes every word :roll:, so no doubt next time we see her she'll be telling me all about how my labradoodle was raised on a puppy farm. (She loves Woody to bits, by the way).

The head of the Kennel Club should think a bit more clearly before opening her mouth in the press, too - nobody ever said a goldendoodle had a low-maintenance coat, but a poodle doesn't, either, and any dog with a curly coat can get horribly matted. What a ridiculous distinction to make.

If ill-informed and sensationalised articles like this have any upside, I suppose they might make people a bit wary of where they get their dog from. But it would have been more helpful if it had given people some sane advice about how to choose a breeder / puppy at the bottom, wouldn't it. You know, the basic stuff about health checks, seeing parents etc?

I sort of understand Barb Turnbull's point about them needing to be in the right hands. Woody is fab but he has been quite hard work and a very steep learning curve for me. If I'd been a bit less committed / more stressed over the last year it might not have had such a happy outcome. And I guess if you'd seen as many awful stories as she has, you'd be wanting to make people think very hard before getting one too. :cry:

Ianto!

Post by Ianto! » 21 Feb 2014, 19:19

What a mish-mash... though it is the Daily Mail, so what can we expect??
How would anyone expect a 'birth certificate' to prove anything?
Whilst there are people who are willing to buy a puppy without making any checks on it's back-ground, there will be people who are willing to breed them in horrific circumstances. If no-one bought them, they'd have to stop.
Andy, I suggest you start to read a newspaper...! :lol:

Anne & Ianto x

Oscar2011

Post by Oscar2011 » 21 Feb 2014, 22:34

Can sense a little kennel club jealousy in the highlighted article, well it was inevitable in the run up to crufts. How can it be that someone would favour a lowly Labradoodle over one of those ultra healthy and impeccable temperament low maintenance pedigree ones. :roll: :roll: :roll:

If you are interested in one of these pedigrees, they are plentiful at our local dogs homes. Who in their right mind would give one of these such perfect dogs away. :roll: :roll:

Or am I just biased.

Oscar & hoomans.

Mens sana in corpore sano.

Crazy flying dog,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3n5aKvfznuQ

Life of a Labradoodle,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rWFkOb39sv4