Crufts!!

General discussion on all labradoodle-related matters - anything not otherwise covered by specific forums on the site.
elmo75

Crufts!!

Post by elmo75 » 09 Mar 2014, 22:25

Tried to get Bronte to watch the best in show judging, hoping she may pick up some tips. No luck; she was too busy trying to hump my husband.

;-)
Ellie x
ImageImage

suebedo

Re: Crufts!!

Post by suebedo » 09 Mar 2014, 22:48

Best quote so far on FB........

Crufts was one by half a doodle :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Ianto!

Post by Ianto! » 09 Mar 2014, 23:04

suebedo wrote:Crufts was one by half a doodle
... and (whisper it) he is related to my lad!! :D Makes me smile :D :D :D
Anne & Ianto x

Ally doodle

Post by Ally doodle » 10 Mar 2014, 09:10

Wasn't it great to see a poodle win crafts! The poodle that won in 2002 was ally's grandfather :D

ClareV

Post by ClareV » 10 Mar 2014, 19:29

Hi Ellie, Bronte obviously thinks your husband is Best In Show!

Roodlepippin

Post by Roodlepippin » 10 Mar 2014, 23:57

In all seriousness though, didn't that poor poodle look utterly ridiculous? There's a beautiful, finely balanced and athletic dog under all that stupid poofy, outdated and pointless coiffured hair. I watched him run around the ring and all I could think was "I wish I could see the actual dog". We had a black standard poodle as a family dog in my teens and she was beautiful, fit, friendly and and a "proper" dog.

God knows how these show dogs put up with the endless primping and preening. And what interest / knowledge did that judge have in the character or long term health of that dog? Since he's sending him off with a full passport to siring thousands of puppies as a Crufts champion, I really think they should be a bit more interested in the rest of the dog, not just what it looks like. Disgusting really. The Kennel Club should be ashamed of its obsession with looks over health and temperament.

Ianto!

Post by Ianto! » 11 Mar 2014, 14:48

Don't beat about the bush, Roo! Tell us what you really think! :lol: :lol: :lol:
I agree about the haircut, it is a shame as he's a beautiful dog. Hopefully he doesn't have to put up with it like that all the time, perhaps he's just shaved up and back-combed for the ring. I wish Ianto had the patience Ricky obviously has - it's hard enough to drag a brush through...

I think the judges have to have a good knowledge of the breed standards, and they check conformation, temperament, etc., though I do wonder how they choose one dog, considering they're comparing 'apples' with 'pears' so to speak. And one judge can't be an expert in all the breeds, surely? (Though they must get to see the same dogs in various shows...)

As to breeding, he'll have to have good genes otherwise his puppies won't sell... I'm just sad that, somewhere along the way, my lad's genes picked up a bad one (HD). I hope that good breeders will ensure they don't continue to breed from any dog that doesn't have healthy genes - after all, their reputation depends on it.

I'm glad to see that the K.C. has started to take the dogs' welfare into consideration after generations of breeding dogs with problems (flat faces, small heads). One of the great joys is seeing all those dogs which used to have their tails docked looking complete, at last...

Anne & Ianto x

Jasper

Post by Jasper » 11 Mar 2014, 15:44

Roodlepippin,
That was exactly my thought as well .... you cant see the dog under the haircut!
He did make me laugh, bow stretching - showing his crown jewels to the camera (i.e. the ladies!) :lol: :lol: :lol:
Jo and Jasper
xxx

swardie

Post by swardie » 11 Mar 2014, 16:06

Hahaha- it's such a Dood thing!! Let's just roll over and put it all on show for a considerable time!!! ;0)) x

MalcolmW

Post by MalcolmW » 16 Mar 2014, 16:19

I do love Standard P9oodles and almost got one when I got Ruby - the cost of grooming them put me off and I wanted an easier managed coat :D

Ruby looks Poodle-ish and her coat never grows to more than an inch or so, slightly longer on her neck and chest so giving her a semi lion trim look :o

I would love to see Ricky in a shorter trim - it would show off his conformation better. The same goes for most long-coated show dogs - I even thought the Cocker had more coat than the American Cocker on TV :roll:
Malcolm

owned by the Labradoodles Lottie and Ruby
and Teigan & Leo the Mini Schnauzers

Bid

Post by Bid » 16 Mar 2014, 19:08

I understand that the poodles have to be in one of the standard trims to be shown at Crufts.

I thought Ricky looked magnificent, and really strutted his stuff :lol: I know mine are always full of themselves when they come from the groomers or have been primped at home - I think it is the reaction they get that they love, so I bet that poodles all done up in their very best trim love all the attention they get!
www.dogtrekker.co.uk
Beauty without vanity, strength without insolence, courage without ferocity, and all the virtues of man without his vices - Byron

canteron

Post by canteron » 16 Mar 2014, 20:09

I have a crafts theory that the winning dog has a similar hairstyle to the judge. :lol:

Didn't watch this year though, did the judge have bouffant hair!

And I agree with Roo, the Kennel Club could do an awful lot more to promote healthy breeding ….

bedlingtondoodle

Post by bedlingtondoodle » 16 Mar 2014, 23:23

Isn't strange how when someone makes a comment on what they think about doodles we all assume that they are idiots etc....
Yet we assume about pedigree dogs...do we know how healthy this dog was coz maybe the kennel club don't need to be ashamed of themselves.

I don't know for sure so I don't just assume :oops:

It's still a proper dog albeit a proper dog with a funny haircut.
Lewie
Benson

Jasper

Post by Jasper » 17 Mar 2014, 12:14

That's a good point Bedlingtondoodle. I'm fairly sure that I have been prejudiced against pedigree dogs and pretty much assumed they're unhealthy, especially the toy breeds.
Our dogs don't know or care about lineage, inverted snobbery or breeders, they take us as we come - we should repay the compliment.
I endeavour to mend my ways!
(Apart from the silly woman who asked if Jasper was an Italian Spinone then stalked off with her nose in the air when I said no - just a common or garden doodle! She didn't say he was gorgeous!!! :shock: )
There's no hope for me!!!! :cry:
Jo and Jasper
xxx