Sam still wakes at 4 or 5 am for a toilet stop - bad habit ?

General discussion on all labradoodle-related matters - anything not otherwise covered by specific forums on the site.
Samdunn

Sam still wakes at 4 or 5 am for a toilet stop - bad habit ?

Post by Samdunn » 26 Mar 2014, 21:53

Hi
Well, as the title suggests, Sam (5 months now) is still waking early morning for a pee stop. He's being doing this since we got him, though it used to be a poo he needed and as such he would bark till we let him out. After he's done it, he's back in and back to bed. Starting to wonder if that's just going to be his routine?. Would quote like to sleep beyond 4 am without having to take him out. It doesn't seem to make a difference how much exercise he gets , we've tried taking him for a 20 min walk round the block at 11 and he will pee then but still wake at 4 or 5 the next day. any tips for making him last longer?

pixie's mum

Re: Sam still wakes at 4 or 5 am for a toilet stop - bad hab

Post by pixie's mum » 26 Mar 2014, 22:38

What's he doing when he wakes up. Just whinging or barking ? Try and not respond straightaway and see if you can lengthen it out by say half and hour a day.

What would actually happen if you left him. Would he pee or poo ?
I did manage to add about 20 mins to half an hour on to each day or so until it was a more sociable time.

Now we have a dog flap so they can help themselves so I'm lucky really
ImageImage
ImageImage

Samdunn

Post by Samdunn » 26 Mar 2014, 22:46

Hi pixies mum
He barks, pretty loud and it's really the only time I hear him bark so it's hard to ignore. I think if I left him he would just keep barking and we have 4 young children who all end up getting woken if I don't get down and take him out soon enough. Not sure if he would pee or not, but I I left him and he did, I'd feel terrible. 5am pee aside, he's been a great wee thing so I shouldn't grumble :D

Ianto!

Post by Ianto! » 26 Mar 2014, 22:52

Hi,
Just a couple of suggestions... do you restrict his water intake, late evening? We used to do that with Ianto. Also, is something disturbing Sam in the early hours? A neighbour going out, perhaps - or does the morning light wake him? I used to put blankets around Ianto's play pen so that the sunlight didn't wake him too soon. If Sam is in a crate, you could try covering it to prevent the light waking him...
If Ianto woke me, I'd take him out but absolutely no fussing, playing, etc., just "Wee wees!" and "Good boy" before putting him back in his pen and leaving the room.
Those extra hours of undisturbed sleep are very welcome, so really hope you can get him to sleep through soon -
Anne & Ianto x

Samdunn

Post by Samdunn » 26 Mar 2014, 23:00

Anne, it could be the neighbours or birds maybe?. Our neighbours own a newsagent so go out at 5 ish. He's in a crate that's covered at night and he's at back room of house so probably the quietest part of house. If it's the neighbours I don't think that's going to change any time soon. Talking about noise, is it possible Sam can hear our car driving up?. He always seems to be at door when I get back, but we know from monitor and when my husbands in house that he snoozes when we're out but he seems to know when we're coming in, even though he can't see us!.

Ben

Post by Ben » 26 Mar 2014, 23:07

Have you tried placing him in a crate?

It does sound like a routine. What if you ignore him, what happens then?

Samdunn

Post by Samdunn » 26 Mar 2014, 23:19

He's in crate Ben. If I ignore him he just keeps barking ..though to be honest I go down pretty quick to him.

Ben

Post by Ben » 26 Mar 2014, 23:23

Could you try a last night wee at midnight and cover his crate with a dark blanket? If you can get him sleeping til 7am, then you could then stretch to an 11pm wee??

Samdunn

Post by Samdunn » 26 Mar 2014, 23:31

Will give a later pee a go, fingers crossed !
His crate is already covered, maybe he's just an early bird...

beeeerock

Post by beeeerock » 27 Mar 2014, 01:08

I've found that this sort of behaviour goes on for a while... perhaps because the bladder is small and/or not fully developed... perhaps because the dog hasn't figured out how long he can hold it... perhaps because it's just more interesting to go outside... but then there comes a day when you realize you haven't been woken early for a few days. And they continue.

And the next thing you know, you've got a teenager on your hands and you have to kick him to get up to go outside for a pee!

If you don't want to wait for that day and don't mind risking your floor, you might tell him to lie down and delay the visit to the yard by a few minutes... and see how far you can stretch it before he starts getting anxious. You'll eventually learn the body language! :lol:

willow&kobi

Post by willow&kobi » 27 Mar 2014, 01:31

Our willow is 5 months and we were doing 4am wee wees until recently and now its got to about 7ish so they do get better..she does'nt bark its a little whipper, as beeeerock suggest its to do with their bladder control and they get better as they get older. :D

Samdunn

Post by Samdunn » 27 Mar 2014, 08:28

Last night was 3 am!!. Left him 10 min but then the younger two children were woken up and crying so I gave in.
I give up....will stick to taking him out and hope he grows out of it.
When was Willow born?. They sound about the same age.

jackieholmes19

Post by jackieholmes19 » 27 Mar 2014, 08:31

Bella was exactly the same until I left the crate door open! She just didn't like being locked in once she woke up. It went immediately from silly o'clock to half past seven! :D
Jackie & Bella
Xxx

canteron

Post by canteron » 27 Mar 2014, 08:55

jackieholmes19 wrote:Bella was exactly the same until I left the crate door open! She just didn't like being locked in once she woke up. It went immediately from silly o'clock to half past seven! :D
From memory, I think this is how we solved it. Just put down lots and lost of puppy pads and lots and lots of toys. Just be prepared to do a bit of pee pee clearing up for the first bit …… Lola used to play with the pads and pee on the floor, but there we are! I think they wake up and area bit bored. Within a month it was all a forgotten thing, it really does get better!

Gracie's mums

Post by Gracie's mums » 27 Mar 2014, 10:25

Hello, we're at 6 months and there's still a wee stop through the night. She doesn't bark but whines if she's desperate. We're just taking it as part of the course as she's brilliant in most other areas.

Beeeerock, I'm going to hold you to the teenage thing, I can't wait!

Becky
Gracie, Becky and Laura

ImageImage