Fuming!!!!

General discussion on all labradoodle-related matters - anything not otherwise covered by specific forums on the site.
elmo75

Fuming!!!!

Post by elmo75 » 24 Apr 2014, 12:03

Absolutely fuming and shaken up!! Just back from the meadows in our village where I walk Bronte every day, twice a day. She absolutely loves every other dog and person that meet meet and has never been anything other than super friendly. We'd only been there a few minutes when I saw a lady in the distance with three small terriers. I have seen them before on the High St and they have always barked at us so I called Bronte over to me. Next minute, the three terriers descended and proceeded to bark, growl, bite and maul Bronte, I felt helpless :-( The woman strolled over as I managed to pull Bronte out of the brawl, as I began to try and put her lead on the woman said "I'd leave that off if I were you, it will only make my dogs worse"!!! We eventually managed to walk away, I was shaking and in tears. Since getting home, I've washed Bronte down and she has at least two graze type marks on her back legs. As far as I can see there is nothing else?? She's looking very sad and is being very quiet. Any advice? Should I call the vets? Is there anything I can put on the wounds?
So, so cross!! Partly with myself because I said pretty much nothing to the woman. Fuming that she knows her dogs behave like that but let's the off lead. :-( Still shaking now!!!

Ellie xx
ImageImage

AustinsMumma

Re: Fuming!!!!

Post by AustinsMumma » 24 Apr 2014, 12:15

How awful for you both :cry: Sorry this has happened
You often don't say anything at the time as it's all a blur and you are trying to rationalise what has just happened!.. so don't feel badly about that

Can you see if the marks are caused by nail or tooth at all? If tooth you might want to get them checked. Austin was bitten in the neck by a dog last weekend and he went to the vet as infection was starting in it (dirty mouths)!! :?
If you do go get a receipt and give the silly cow a copy next time you see her!

Take care of her and you. Next time you go walking take something with you to scare off the dogs should you see them again? Not sure what is acceptable these days :? I'd have a jolly good mind to take a pointy stick for the owner myself!! :evil: It is beyond me why they weren't on leads!!?? :shock: Especially as when one in a pack starts to misbehave the others tend to join in
Poor Bronte

J xx
Austin Doodle came to town riding on a pony......
Austin's profession?... Eating Mummy's STEAK
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Bid

Post by Bid » 24 Apr 2014, 14:46

Poor Bronte :( . I would bathe the grazes in warm salty water, and keep an eye out for any infections. Have a really good prod about in case there are any bite marks hidden under her coat too.

You might want to invest in a pet correction spray. I wouldn't recommend them as a training aid or to use on your own dog, but to interrupt a dog attack they are handy things. All they do is make a REALLY loud hiss which tends to stop them in their tracks. You may feel happier having one with you in case you see them again, and I don't think anyone could accuse you of anything for using one.
www.dogtrekker.co.uk
Beauty without vanity, strength without insolence, courage without ferocity, and all the virtues of man without his vices - Byron

donkeydoodlelulu

Post by donkeydoodlelulu » 24 Apr 2014, 17:49

I got fed up of lulu being attacked so I invested in a hiking pole - wonderful for brandishing around at other dogs and very effective. Hope Bronte is ok. It's so scary when it happens :(
Alison, Lulu and Woody x

swardie

Post by swardie » 24 Apr 2014, 17:54

How horrible! Hope Bronte is OK.

Doodle Dee

Post by Doodle Dee » 24 Apr 2014, 18:28

i hope Bronte is okay - you have had all the advice.

Dont blame yourself for not saying anything as I expect she knows her dogs are like that and you wouldn't have gotten anywhere other than brawling in the open and getting more upset and angry at someone who doesn't deserve the energy spent on anger. She is a moron and shouldn't own dogs and she is the one that gets dog owners a bad name!!!!
Lulu & Dx

ImageImage

elmo75

Post by elmo75 » 24 Apr 2014, 18:40

Hi all,
Thanks for your concern and advice. We're just back from the vets, £40 worse off! Bronte has a bite on her leg but it looks like her doodle fur saved her from a lot more physical damage. She had an anti inflammatory jab just to ease any pain / bruising and overall, seems pretty much back to normal. I am worried that it may have scarred her mentally tho, we shall see tomorrow when we head off on our daily walk.
I have contacted the dog warden because after posting about the incident on our village Facebook page, it turns out that lots of other people have had similar incidents with these dogs. Through a bit of detective work I have also found out the woman's name and her address! My OH is insistent that he's going to pay them a visit with the vet bill when he gets home! I'm not going to let him do this tho as I don't want to jeopardise any action that the dog warden may be able to take.
I have bought some pet corrector spray which I will be arming myself with tomorrow but after witnessing the pack attack mentality today I do actually think a stick or hiking pole would be more effective. I think the only course of action if it happens again will be to pick Bronte up!
What a nightmare, I really hope that something gets done and stops this from happening again.

Ellie & Bronte xxx
ImageImage

Ianto!

Post by Ianto! » 24 Apr 2014, 19:28

Ellie,
I'm so sorry to hear that this has happened to little Bronte... Owners who are in the wrong are always so full of ...... bluster, I guess is the polite word for it.
You've already had some good advice, but I'll just add that I always wear strong leather walking boots..... :roll:
I hope the warden is able to take some action against this woman - the dogs should be kept on a lead at all times if they're so vicious. If nothing comes of it, I'm definitely with your OH over the bill (though I don't know if she'd accept it as it'd be accepting the blame...)
When something bad happens I think we go into 'coping' mode - you did your best to get Bronte out of a bad situation, and starting an argument with the stupid b*tch may only have made her dogs worse, and possibly upset Bronte more because she'd have known you were worried.
If you can try to be happy and confident when you take her out tomorrow, it will help her too... (easier said than done, I know.)
Anne & Ianto x

campfaz18

Post by campfaz18 » 24 Apr 2014, 20:08

Poor Bronte. It is really horrible when your dog is attacked. Jacob has suffered this too as have many other doodles.

It is all very well saying putting her on the lead will make mine worse. Yes often if it is a one on one situation but Bronte is still a pup and there were three of them.

I think I'm with Anne a stout pair of walking boots will keep ankle biters off. :twisted:

I think your post on the village FaceBook holds the answer. This isn't an isolated incident and others have obviously had a similar problem.

I hope Bronte is feeling better tomorrow and is OK on her walk.
Nat, Lynne and the boy Jacob

Oscar2011

Post by Oscar2011 » 24 Apr 2014, 21:22

Wishing for a speedy recovery,

Oscar sends soothing licks,

Oscar & hoomans.

Mens sana in corpore sano.

Crazy flying dog,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3n5aKvfznuQ

Life of a Labradoodle,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rWFkOb39sv4

EstelleB

Post by EstelleB » 24 Apr 2014, 21:54

Well done for following this up, she should be stopped.

Hope Bronte is OK x
ImageImage

canteron

Post by canteron » 24 Apr 2014, 22:05

elmo75 wrote:Absolutely fuming and shaken up!! Just back from the meadows in our village where I walk Bronte every day, twice a day. She absolutely loves every other dog and person that meet meet and has never been anything other than super friendly. We'd only been there a few minutes when I saw a lady in the distance with three small terriers. I have seen them before on the High St and they have always barked at us so I called Bronte over to me. Next minute, the three terriers descended and proceeded to bark, growl, bite and maul Bronte, I felt helpless :-( The woman strolled over as I managed to pull Bronte out of the brawl, as I began to try and put her lead on the woman said "I'd leave that off if I were you, it will only make my dogs worse"!!! We eventually managed to walk away, I was shaking and in tears. Since getting home, I've washed Bronte down and she has at least two graze type marks on her back legs. As far as I can see there is nothing else?? She's looking very sad and is being very quiet. Any advice? Should I call the vets? Is there anything I can put on the wounds?
So, so cross!! Partly with myself because I said pretty much nothing to the woman. Fuming that she knows her dogs behave like that but let's the off lead. :-( Still shaking now!!!

Ellie xx
It is horrible and the woman didn't handle it well, but the best thing you could have done is keep your dog off the lead and walked very quickly in the other direction and hope that the terrier's owner had the good sense to move away in the opposite direction as well.

By putting her on the lead put her at a distinct disadvantage and made her look weak in the terriers eyes (and therefore fair game) . By not moving away in the other direction you indicated to your dog that her pack (i.e. you are her) were going to fight - and if you shouted, that to her would have sounded as if you were yapping her on.

Sticks and things may make you feel better - but will only get you into trouble and won't help your dog.

DiSet

Post by DiSet » 24 Apr 2014, 22:36

Canteron I can understand where you're coming from about dogs not being on the lead, but unfortunately many attacks happen when you're not in the position to have your dog off the lead. My dog was attacked last week when he was on his lead (on a public footpath). The offending bl**dy dog charged up the path to my dog. Letting the lead go wasn't an option because he probably would have jumped a wall to get away and then would have been in with sheep or he could have run down the lane onto the road.

Elmo75 you have my commiserations, as a situation like this leaves one feeling completelely deflated, frustrated and angry. :(

Mollysmom

Post by Mollysmom » 25 Apr 2014, 02:02

Her dogs should have to kept on a lead and muzzeled if there that vicious. Everyone should be able to enjoy a nice walk with there dogs without having to worry about being attacked things like this make me angry

BEE BEE

Post by BEE BEE » 25 Apr 2014, 07:48

Poor boy and you. I do hope that it does not scare him away from other dogs. Well done you for walking away when it happened. However I agree with your hubby she should be made to pay the vet bill. maybe hitting her in the pocket will make her stop and think. I have always said there are no bad dogs just bad owners.