Calling all bitches

General discussion on all labradoodle-related matters - anything not otherwise covered by specific forums on the site.
AustinsMumma

Calling all bitches

Post by AustinsMumma » 24 Apr 2014, 18:15

I've only ever had male dogs, so don't know what it's like when a girly goes into season
Is it common practice to walk them where other dogs are for the time they are on heat, or do you avoid it?
I know they have to be walked, so I guess so, you just keep an eye on them and know what to expect?

Recently I really wish I'd got a girl! :lol: Austin is driving me NUTS! :!:
A few times, in the past 2 weeks especially, he has been OBSESSED with a few bitches. And once he gets the scent of one he will not let them go. I think he seriously would run a mile or so if he thought there would be a chance of getting what he wanted!!
I have just got back from a walk and he did it again!! This time she was little, the owner got very arsey with me as Auz was trying to lick her bits again and again and so he picked her up, holding her high... spinning around in a circle thus causing a 'heat trail' in a massive circle in the air. This excited Austin beyond madness and he was on his back 2 legs crying and whimpering trying to get to her!! :roll: It was madness.... and embarrassing.

None of my other dogs ever did this, but then they were all neutered about 10/11 months old.
So.. questions... >>>
Do all intact male dogs do this all the time when they smell the necessary hormones?
Does it get any better with age?
And, may be stupid question, do females tend to come into season at certain times of the year... i.e. now when it's warming up??

My OH thinks it's funny as he's a dog and that's what dogs do and he's only being 'manly', but it's really embarrassing and screwing up his training sometimes :? Plus I don't like feeling crap, the man today was trying to kick Auz away and wasn't very friendly to me and it leaves you feeling a bit 'meh' after what was essentially a calm, sunny, lovely walk beforehand :|

Thanks v much! J x
Austin Doodle came to town riding on a pony......
Austin's profession?... Eating Mummy's STEAK
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Roodlepippin

Re: Calling all bitches

Post by Roodlepippin » 24 Apr 2014, 18:51

Haha! I've just posted because Woody is being neutered tomorrow - a "bobblectomy" as Ianto would have it!

Up until last month we hadn't found him that bad (except for one or two particular dogs who just sent him completely loopy) but in the last few weeks he has become an absolute pain in the backside. Not with everyone, but enough for us to think "right, the time has come".

In Woody's case I slightly wonder whether he's only just reaching proper sexual maturity at 14 months - I thought he was considered sexually mature 8-9 months but actually, the cloth ears behaviour and the constant scent-marking and the far-away look in his eye have only come on relatively recently. On a walk, he is definitely now more interested in other dogs / smells than in us, or in his flyer, which he was completely obsessed with. He's also now much more confident and likely to keep pestering even when I shout or drag him away. He doesn't run off but he's starting to be a bit "whatever" about coming back when I call.

Because his behaviour has changed only recently, and because he's a big dog who I imagine would probably take longer to reach sexual maturity anyway, I figure we've done the best thing getting him to a year before having his bobbles off. But it's all a big unknown anyway isn't it! :?

swardie

Post by swardie » 24 Apr 2014, 18:58

Dex has no bobbles. And he wees like a girl!!!! :D :lol: :D

oakesr

Post by oakesr » 24 Apr 2014, 20:10

My old dog, Zak, broke through the back fence to get to the 'in season' Dalmation next door.

I came out looking for him and peeked through the dog shaped hole to see him sitting with his new girlfriend, all casual like :roll:

Dalmation lady was not happy when she got home, but since she constantly bred the poor girl and made her live outside, I didn't really care - is that terrible? :?
Rachel & Roma

AustinsMumma

Post by AustinsMumma » 24 Apr 2014, 20:15

Yes, Auz was a right pain today.. I was trying to get him away from the dog (whose owner was, I am sure, thinking Austin was trying to eat her!!) and Aus just did NOT want to come back to me. His mind was elsewhere
I just don't know what to do. We were thinking of breeding him, but if this continues and the only way of calming it down is to 'snip' him then ...

I think it's so upsetting because I am used to people 'liking' him and finding him pleasing.. now suddenly he is a pain in the arse hound who they want to kick away!! :? :cry:

I guess time will tell. I'm going to have to be very vigilant, lead in hand, and wear running shoes!!
J x
Austin Doodle came to town riding on a pony......
Austin's profession?... Eating Mummy's STEAK
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Bid

Post by Bid » 24 Apr 2014, 20:30

A bitch in season is going to be irresistable to all males - neutered or not, but the unneutered ones area likely to be a bit more persisitent. I remember my neutered lab getting very excited about it when he was 10 so age isn't necessarily going to help. Imo it isn't fair to the bitch to walk her where she will meet dogs when she is in season - it is very distressing for her, and even if she is kept on a lead the owner can't control all the dogs that will come zooming up to her. It is also very inconsiderate to other dog owners, as even if you are there hours later your dog will know she has been around! I kept mine at home when in season, apart from a couple of runs early in the morning in farmland not open to the public (with the farmer's permission). There are a couple of people in our village who walk their bitchs in season, and Beamish goes crazy about it.
www.dogtrekker.co.uk
Beauty without vanity, strength without insolence, courage without ferocity, and all the virtues of man without his vices - Byron

Glenda

Post by Glenda » 24 Apr 2014, 20:37

I agree with Bid... unfair to walk bitches in season where other dogs walk. We took Jessie (she only had one season) up the fields - well out of the way - until she had finished. Imo much nicer walks for her too! :D :D
ImageImage

ImageImage

Bid

Post by Bid » 24 Apr 2014, 21:25

Walking a bitch in season at less popular times causes chaos when you aren't there!
www.dogtrekker.co.uk
Beauty without vanity, strength without insolence, courage without ferocity, and all the virtues of man without his vices - Byron

Oscar2011

Post by Oscar2011 » 24 Apr 2014, 23:03

If adult bitches are anything like adult women then they too will be very hormonal as well. :roll: :lol: :lol: .

Oscars hooman(dad).

Mens sana in corpore sano.

Crazy flying dog,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3n5aKvfznuQ

Life of a Labradoodle,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rWFkOb39sv4

Ianto!

Post by Ianto! » 24 Apr 2014, 23:15

I am not an expert on the matter, but - I've been told that stud dogs tend to have better manners because they get to do the business, so to speak, rather than the poor lesser mortals who have all the necessary equipment but are never allowed to use it... One reason my OH decided it was a good idea to get Ianters neutered, as he said it seemed very unfair on an intact dog that would never be used for breeding. I'm not saying that a stud dog wouldn't be interested in a bitch in season (otherwise they wouldn't be much good!) just that they tend not to 'pester' them at other times...
It seems unfair that the guy would kick out at Austin, after all, he's only trying to do what comes naturally - if the bitch was in season, she shouldn't really be out there. But unless your dog has an excellent 'pedigree' (i.e. health tests) and a guaranteed background of the same, it wouldn't be fair to any puppies. I was never interested in breeding from Ianto - which is fortunate in the circumstances...
Anne & Ianto x

Edited to add: Choosing to ignore Oscar's Dad as women have already spent long enough fending off such comments...

gilly g

Post by gilly g » 25 Apr 2014, 00:18

No! No! No!
(my boy is neutered)

I get really pi**ed off with people who walk their in season bitches in regular dog walking areas and then wonder why their poor girlies get a huge amount of attention from every dog, whether it be entire or not, in the area!

And I am not having a pop: started thinking about posting about this before I saw your post :D ) because of something that happened today on my daily walk, involving a woman with an in season Jack Russell on lead, in a popular dog walking area and a 47kg Doberman!

" Roxy's in season at the moment and, yes, we still walk her. We just go to quieter places, at less popular times, and actively try to avoid other dogs.
I've only ever owned girls and have always done this. Not sure I could cope with a male dog as having to be on guard against their hormones overtaking them all the time like you describe must be a nightmare. At least with the girls it's only for a few weeks twice-ish a year that you have to be hyper vigilant. I can see why you may be considering having him neutered if boys are like it all the time."

My dog ha been neutered: my choice, not his, but he is still interested in an in season bitch, and would follow her scent home just like an entire male would.
As for the hormones! Don't believe that they are just male orientated!
My sister had a female Weimeraner who dug under the fence of their 3 acre land to get to the dog next door when she was in season, unfortunately she went to the Dalmation, not to the Weirmeraner on the other side!

So, what I am trying to say, is it's not just keeping your girl under control, because she will have a mind of her own if she want's to. (and I have had bitches too :D )

Mollysmom

Post by Mollysmom » 25 Apr 2014, 01:05

I used to breed shih-tzus and wouldn't even think about taking them out while in season. They are only in heat for 2 week surely for that short time the dogs can handle staying in the back yard haveing a game of fetch rather than a walk there are other ways to excersize your dog rather than walking them.

Bid

Post by Bid » 25 Apr 2014, 01:06

Having had both boys and girls I experience both sides. In our village there are 2 people who walk their bitches in season in popular dog walking places, and Beamish has met them, and yes, he was a pest! I put him on lead as soon as I realised, but the damage has been done. He now assumes that they will be as delightful as that every time he sees them, and they are worried about it - naturally. It now means that we can never meet because it isn't fair to the girls or the boys. It also isn't fair for boys to be driven wild because a girl has been out walking sometime during the day leaving her trail of promise all over the place. It's only for a short while every 6 months or so, and it's not much to ask that they are kept at home. In some ways it's worse when they have been and gone, since if you see a dog on a lead you put your own dog on a lead, but when a bitch in season has been walking there is no warning - your dog just gets the scent!
www.dogtrekker.co.uk

MandyG

Post by MandyG » 25 Apr 2014, 11:36

I would never take Phoebe to the park or any place where male dogs are off leash when she was in season. It's not fair to her, or the males, or me (if she got pregnant). I would walk her on the leash out of peak hours and somewhere a little more quiet.

Even now that she's been spayed, she still attracts attention from un-neutered males.

Love and licks, Phoebe and Mandy

Ianto!

Post by Ianto! » 25 Apr 2014, 15:37

Please, please can we stop talking about women as 'being hormonal'? I know it's popular now, but I'm coming from the days when women were always being taunted with stupid "is it that time of the month?" comments, and being seen as unsuitable for certain jobs/roles... It's just playing into the hands of people who want to restrict women to go along with it. Rant over (for the time being).
Anne & Ianto x