Keep cool collar

General discussion on all labradoodle-related matters - anything not otherwise covered by specific forums on the site.
Madeleine

Keep cool collar

Post by Madeleine » 08 Jul 2014, 14:31

Our pug suffers in the heat and at times we've not taken her out. I've looked on Internet at the coats and they seem pricey, not too bad if they work but at £60 approx it's risky. I have however sent for a collar that was only £15 which contains the gel packs you freeze, I'm hoping this helps and will post my findings.
ImageImage

BEE BEE

Re: Keep cool collar

Post by BEE BEE » 09 Jul 2014, 09:02

Good idea for the collar, But I also use rock sulpher in their water to cool their bodies down in hot weather, as I have problems with Bowie in hot weather. I also put ice cubes in their water.

linny

Post by linny » 09 Jul 2014, 11:52

Be careful about adding ice cubes to dogs drinking water, it can cause bloat.
Ok if used in moderation.

Madeleine

Post by Madeleine » 09 Jul 2014, 12:01

The trouble with little Beau is she won't drink when she's panting for breath. I've wrapped her in wet towel on a couple of occasions. Typically the weather has cooled off! so not used collar yet.
We take extra water now and walk in shade wer possible.
ImageImage

Brodie_Dog

Post by Brodie_Dog » 09 Jul 2014, 13:16

linny wrote:Be careful about adding ice cubes to dogs drinking water, it can cause bloat.
Ok if used in moderation.
This is an old wives tale perpetuated by untrue facebook posts and email memes that go round and round and round.

In fact when a dog is hot it can drink larger amounts of liquid in an effort to cool down, but large excessive amounts of ANY liquid of ANY temperature can cause bloat. Ice cubes and water temperature have no additional impact.

All of us as dog owners should keep an eye on our dogs binge drinking large amounts of water on hot days, we are all equally at risk, but as far as ice cubes go? Knock yourself out.

There is plenty of information on the internet debunking this myth about ice cubes, including plenty of statements from qualified vets.