Shedding question

General discussion on all labradoodle-related matters - anything not otherwise covered by specific forums on the site.
Coco and Annie

Shedding question

Post by Coco and Annie » 12 Aug 2014, 23:27

Hello there

I am looking for words of wisdom from fellow F1 dood owners. If my Coco is barely shedding at 6 months, can I expect her to continue like this, or might I be in for a less welcome surprise? At the moment she is only shedding onto a comb and appears to be changing coat to a soft hair texture.

Thank you!

Coco and Annie.

Bid

Re: Shedding question

Post by Bid » 13 Aug 2014, 00:10

You never know - you may be lucky! Remember though, that all dogs shed, it's just that some don't drop their coat - instead the dead hair stays in there and needs to be combed out or it matts. I have 2 shedders and one that doesn't drop her coat, and the shedders are a lot easier to look after!
www.dogtrekker.co.uk
Beauty without vanity, strength without insolence, courage without ferocity, and all the virtues of man without his vices - Byron

swardie

Post by swardie » 13 Aug 2014, 06:56

Tell me about it, Bid. Thank goodness Dex had a holiday haircut- much better now!

Doodle Dee

Post by Doodle Dee » 13 Aug 2014, 08:13

Lulu is 2 now and doesn't shed/moult. I brush her and her hair comes out on the brush and I have a few hairballs around but that's all
Lulu & Dx

ImageImage

scooby Dood

Post by scooby Dood » 13 Aug 2014, 09:31

Scooby us nine months now and is a cream F1b. She does not shed but does need regular brushing. It is surprising how much fur comes out on the comb.
Scooby Dood, Andrea & Kerry

MandyG

Post by MandyG » 13 Aug 2014, 10:13

Phoebe is an F1, 3 years old. She does shed but it's just little fluff bunnies rather than hairs everywhere.

Love and licks, Phoebe and Mandy

oakesr

Post by oakesr » 13 Aug 2014, 18:12

Roma is F1 and didn't shed much as a little pup, but by 1 she was shedding quite a bit. Her coat hanged from soft and wavy to coarse.

Coco is fab! She looks to have more hair than Roma.
Rachel & Roma

Pauline

Post by Pauline » 13 Aug 2014, 18:54

Dexter is an F1 (black) and does shed but NOT like labradors - I get cotton wisps on the floor while Colin F1B doesn't shed but matts when he's not groomed & the coat is getting long.

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Liz!!

Post by Liz!! » 13 Aug 2014, 19:11

All dogs shed - but some lose hair more quickly which is the real governor of how much you notice - if it is not shedding much the surrounding hairs are more likely to keep it in place.

We keep our hair for ages before it shed, say it was a year cycle, then each hair which has grown at a different time would stay in our heads for one year before shedding - we have a lot of hair and most of it would still be in place. We don't really notice our own shedding except after pregnancy if female.

Some dogs have a long cycle, but some have a really short cycle - say it was shed after only a weeks - that would mean that you would notice it more, as all the hairs shed quite often.
Lola is a UK Assistance Dog, trained to alert me for low blood sugar by Medical Detection Dogs (http://www.medicaldetectiondogs.org.uk)

Coco and Annie

Post by Coco and Annie » 13 Aug 2014, 20:39

Thank you for all your comments. I think the unpredictability of the looks of a labradoodle is the most exciting thing about them. They're like a box of chocolates- different flavours but all delicious. :D