Natures Diet - Major Problem

General discussion on all labradoodle-related matters - anything not otherwise covered by specific forums on the site.
Doodle Dee

Natures Diet - Major Problem

Post by Doodle Dee » 07 Sep 2014, 08:19

To those Natures Diet feeders

I buy in bulk and the Lamb and Rice - looks weird. I phoned Titmus from whence it comes and they said they have had many many complaints about it.

Apparently Natures Diet have gone to a new packing plant. Although they are still a vacuum packet it doesn't look like the way they used it. It is also much flatter than the others and has dimples. When it is opened it looks like it has curdled. I have thrown away 4 so far (as I thought maybe it had got damaged)

I phoned Titmus who say that Natures Diet say it is okay. I am dubious. I said I would feed Lulu with it and if she didn't eat or was sick I would let them know

Do I take a chance? Has anyone else experienced it? What would you do?
Lulu & Dx

ImageImage

Helen & Rigby

Re: Natures Diet - Major Problem

Post by Helen & Rigby » 07 Sep 2014, 09:02

Oh cripes! I'll be stuck if it's no good, that's rigs favourite! The last lot we had from titmus, 5 of the lamb ones had blown and I phoned and told them and they refunded me for those packs. They've changed the recipe of the chicken one and it has much more carrot in it, rig is not impressed! Why must they fiddle with things arghhhhh! :evil:
ImageImage

Doodle Dee

Post by Doodle Dee » 07 Sep 2014, 09:27

I know it took me two years to find something she liked - I went on their website and they said it is okay
Lulu & Dx

ImageImage

Webbs

Post by Webbs » 07 Sep 2014, 19:58

I noticed the lamb one looked a lot more fatty than normal but she is eating it well x That's the only one I noticed had changed. I feed Willow one eight of the pack for each meal so not too much of it. Is Titmuss the ones that make it or just supply it?

SallyV

Post by SallyV » 07 Sep 2014, 21:02

Hi there,
I buy nature diet from a supplier in Norfolk and I've had the same problem with the lamb ones. I bought a box containing 18 trays and 4 had 'blown' and had bulged and were as tight as a drum. I wrote to Nature diet and enclosed all the batch numbers etc and they said they'd had no complaints. They told me to go back to the supplier but I didn't bother, I just threw them away in case they exploded! Anyway, there are obviously problems if you are all experiencing some issues too.

Next time I buy a box of 18 I shall unwrap it in the shop to check all the trays are ok!

The chicken ones have been fine.

Sally, Effie and Inks

suebedo

Post by suebedo » 07 Sep 2014, 22:25

We have it for camping and for days where we have forgotten to get their food out of the freezer. Haven't noticed any difference in the meat but ours is probably quite old stock as we use it so rarely. We have had one that has blown though which we threw out "just in case" it had gone bad. Well within date still.

Pollydoodle

Post by Pollydoodle » 08 Sep 2014, 11:57

Darn timely ! I keep it as standby from raw but never really keen on it- even less so this morning.
Bought few more on Saturday and noticed the "Technological Additive:Cassia " Hmm wht the heck is that I wondered plus started to wonder about all the other ingredients.....since I had noticed change in texture too.

Cassia (gum) seems to be additive only in petfood thickner/gelling- not allowed in human food ...yet.

Randomly chose: Ferrous Sulphate Monohydrate
Dear internet shows (granted I am in a rush but!!) Ferrous sulphate monohydate had apparence off white powder. It is extensively used in animal feeds as it can stimulate the growth of animal's body, it is also used as fertilizer in the agricultural industry.
Uses of Ferrous Sulphate monohydrate

It is used as a lawn conditioner and moss killer.
Industrially, ferrous sulphate is mainly used as a precursor to other iron compounds.
It is a reducing agent, mostly for the reduction of chromate in cement.
Used in the manufacture of inks.
It is used a mordant for wool dyeing.

wwwwhat in my dog food?

http://www.nuansakimia.com/en/ferrous-s ... drate.html

ohh dear think I shall stop looking and try be more organised.

Liz!!

Post by Liz!! » 08 Sep 2014, 23:58

Wow - Nature Diet used to have just meat and veg in!

We use Nature's Menu *rushes off to look*... Chicken 605, rice, peas, carrots, minerals, and the minerals, well, just looked up the additives and they look fine.
Lola is a UK Assistance Dog, trained to alert me for low blood sugar by Medical Detection Dogs (http://www.medicaldetectiondogs.org.uk)

eileenandmolly

Post by eileenandmolly » 09 Sep 2014, 07:39

I use Wainwrights trays as my back-up to raw . They are P@H own brand. No problems with the trays so far! Except the plastic film cover can be a pain to remove.

Ingredients for the lamb one:
Lamb(71%) lamb liver (5%) brown rice (5%) minerals, seaweed, chicory root. Additives: vitamin A 1500iu/kg, vitamin D 150iU/kg, vitamin E (a-tocopherol) 25IU/kgCalciumo.52%Phosphorus o.43% (I'm not expert at additives but I think these are ok?)

The girls like them! And they are just like nature diet which we used to have.
Ei, Molly and Saffie

Helen & Rigby

Post by Helen & Rigby » 09 Sep 2014, 13:20

Oh no! Just as I thought I'd found something good for him and that he likes :cry:

I looked at natures instinct yesterday, but our freezer is tiny and we have nowhere for another. Rig didn't know what to do with the raw duck neck I gave him.
ImageImage

stout

Post by stout » 09 Sep 2014, 14:20

Stout did sometimes have natures diet (we haven't tried him on it since he was poorly - spud - yet another intolerance!), if any of you are near to us and wish to adopt some unused senior/lite ones (Turkey, rabbit and spud - old type!) let us know we still have some hanging around. I seem to remember similar problems a couple of years ago. I wonder why they have been fiddling?!

He could never eat the wainrights I guess it might have had rice/spud (yes you guessed it he cant eat white rice either!)
Cheers,

Chris, Michelle & Stout

ImageImage

Stout Puppy Pics:
http://photobucket.com/stoutdoodle

Pollydoodle

Post by Pollydoodle » 09 Sep 2014, 18:16

Thanks for other suggestions on alternatives.

BTW on Sat I also bought Burns wet food/pouch, looked : " Organic Chicken (Min 20%), Organic Brown Rice (Min 20%), Seasonal Vegetables (Min 20%), Minerals & Vitamins" is the rest water I wonder... :?

I thought arranging my dinner options was tough but working out the dogs dinner is a real brain teaser! :roll:

Joy m gee

Post by Joy m gee » 15 Sep 2014, 13:11

Hi I am new to the forum but was interested in naturediet comments. My dog has a intolerance to chicken so only feed him burns kibble (use duck oil) and naturediets without chicken. Does anyone else have dog with this. He's 2 half years old, had him since 9 weeks and taken a while to find food that suits. I have used the new lamb and rice packets, and although they look blown food seemed fine, tho a bit oilier.

iwantadog

Post by iwantadog » 15 Sep 2014, 16:30

I use Symply trays as a holiday/forgotten to take Nutriment out the freezer. It doesn't have much rice in and has one flavour totally free of grain. Very impressed so far.

ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Martina daly

Post by Martina daly » 15 Sep 2014, 16:34

Ozzy doesn't do well on chicken,I've just returned a full tray of lamb to our local pet shop so will be using rabbit and turkey from now on