A little update on Monty

General discussion on all labradoodle-related matters - anything not otherwise covered by specific forums on the site.
michelle81

A little update on Monty

Post by michelle81 » 21 Sep 2014, 15:44

So, it's been 8 weeks since Monty joined us. He's settled in really well. He must be the nosiest dog in the world, though, as everything that comes through the front door has to be inspected. No shopping bag or parcel is safe from his giant, wet nose.

He's become a firm friend of Indie, my 6 year old Lhasa. Indie acts as Monty's hearing dog, alerting him to people at the door or outside. When I call Indie for dinner, Monty follows. You wouldn't know Monty was deaf most of the time.

Monty is very loving and wants to be cuddled all the time. If you are in bed and he thinks you should be up, a giant paw will land on your hand, soon joined by a big wet nose.

When we first thought about adding another dog to our family, I was worried about Indie, who is very possessive of my husband (but not me, I'm the one who gets the fun things to do like poo removal and showering while my husband usually feeds and plays with him). There have been comical moments when Indie, who is a bit of a hoarder (he likes to line his toys up and guard them), growled and barked at Monty for getting too close to his ball or his toy and Monty didn't see him so didn't react. Indie doesn't seem to realise Monty is deaf so probably thinks he's a very cool customer. Monty is now becoming a bit more assertive with Indie and will bark back, if he notices. All in all, I'm surprised at how well the two of them are getting on. They play on a daily basis, running around the garden or the house. It's nice for Indie to have another active dog to spend time with as Zara, my oldest Lhasa, is 15 and she spends most of her time sleeping or rolling around the garden, ignoring the boys.

We've continued to have problems with Monty walking on the leash. For the first few weeks we had him, he would only go to the toilet in the garden. When out on walks, he never stopped to sniff but just charged ahead. I don't think he was walked much in his previous home. I got a harness with a front D ring and, although this stopped him pulling for a while, he ended up walking at a slight angle to get around this (damn the poodle intelligence he's inherited). Now we use a Dogmatic headcollar. He doesn't like it and will rub his face on every surface (including us) for the first few minutes that it's on. We use this for the first part of his walk and when he starts to calm down, we take it off.

His recall is very good. He checks in with me every 30 seconds or so and will wait for a signal. If I'm happy with him being away from me, I'll give him a thumbs up sign ("good boy") and he can continue to sniff or play, if I give him a "come back" signal, he's usually back beside me in seconds. I wish Indie's recall was a good!

It really helps that Monty is motivated by food. He's also very eager to please, which is such a change from my Lhasas. He's also convinced he's a very small dog and won't think twice about curling up on my lap (then hitting me until I cuddle him).

He's a water dog, like most doodles, and loves the beach. He's even encouraged Indie to venture into the water, although only up to his armpits. In all, you wouldn't believe it's only been 8 weeks. I feel like he's been here forever and I think he now feels the same.

swardie

Re: A little update on Monty

Post by swardie » 21 Sep 2014, 16:00

Lovely to hear how Monty's getting on - and very well, by the sound of it! Well done to you all!

Ps it was great yo hear about the rest of your dogs too- they sound like real characters!

campfaz18

Post by campfaz18 » 21 Sep 2014, 17:29

it is really nice to read that Monty is doing so well and has amde a doodle sized place for himself in your family. I love the idea that Indie is his hearing dog. How well that relaionship seems to be working.

It seems that Monty just hadn't found the right fit with his previous families it certainly seems like he has now :D
Nat, Lynne and the boy Jacob

Ianto!

Post by Ianto! » 21 Sep 2014, 19:58

Fantastic news, Michelle! How wonderful that this has worked out so well for you, your family and for Monty - with a lot of hard work and faith on your part...
After a rocky start in life, Monty has finally come home! :D Lucky boy...
Anne and Ianto xx

Doodle Dee

Post by Doodle Dee » 21 Sep 2014, 22:51

I love a lovely story - he and yo all seem quite happy

brilliant
Lulu & Dx

ImageImage

Helen & Rigby

Post by Helen & Rigby » 22 Sep 2014, 19:15

Aw bless him, I'm so happy for you all, thanks for the update :D
ImageImage

Bren

Post by Bren » 22 Sep 2014, 21:55

It's just great to read such possitive things about dogs, instead of all the bad things we read or hear on the news. Thats a doodle for you. What a fantastic dog they are. I am so proud to own this breed.
Thank you for sharing this update with us.

ziggy Bowie & Bee