Scottish Australian labradoodle breeders

General discussion on all labradoodle-related matters - anything not otherwise covered by specific forums on the site.
Coco and Annie

Scottish Australian labradoodle breeders

Post by Coco and Annie » 03 Oct 2014, 17:05

Hi everyone

I have been mulling over adding to our family early next year and was wondering if anyone had any experience of Tora's Australian labradoodles, Burnbrae Labradoodles and Lomondhill Labradoodles. They are all Australian labradoodle breeders in Scotland. The puppies all seem quite similar in appearance and cost roughly the same.

Many thanks

Annie and Coco

swardie

Re: Scottish Australian labradoodle breeders

Post by swardie » 03 Oct 2014, 17:38

Hi, Annie and Coco. We got our Dexter from Lomondhills in January this year, and I cannot recommend them highly enough. Brenda also provides a grooming service for their puppies. Dexter has a lovely canny nature, all round fab boy. He's chocolate( but getting lighter, ) , and is a medium ( tall at 25ins to shoulder).

I think that most of the Auz Dood breeder charge about the same.

Good luck with your search. I'd love to hear how you get on. X

Bid

Post by Bid » 03 Oct 2014, 17:40

I think Tora are one of the best breeders - I know a few doodles that come from there :D
www.dogtrekker.co.uk
Beauty without vanity, strength without insolence, courage without ferocity, and all the virtues of man without his vices - Byron

Cupcake

Post by Cupcake » 03 Oct 2014, 22:06

Hi, we got Bentley from toras this year, his so adorable, if we do ever get another one would defiently go back to Jackie. If you go on toras website there are a couple off photos I've put on there off Bentley, feel free to message me if you want to ask any questions.

LSTANCLIFFE

Post by LSTANCLIFFE » 04 Oct 2014, 09:18

Morning.

I got my lovely Cooper from Lomondhills and have to agree that brenda does a wonderful job. My Cooper is just over 6 months and he is so loving and an all round joy. There is not a day where I don't get stopped to ask where I got him.

We have made friends with a few Aussie doodles and they came from both Toras and Lomondhills - I don't think you could go wrong with either.

Good luck.

:D

Spilsted

Post by Spilsted » 04 Oct 2014, 20:56

Hi there

We got our lovely Gregor from Lomondhills and we were impressed by Brenda's professional approach. We weren't even allowed in to see any dogs or pups until we stood on a disinfectant pad and washed our hands. We were shown a variety of different dogs of different sizes and coats to help us make up our minds. When her dogs came in they were obviously really happy and full of affection. I liked the fact that we could view the litters on her videos and when I wasn't sure about Gregor's weight, she got back to me quickly to reassure me that he was fine. If we were to get another doodle I'd certainly go back there. Wherever you get one though, I'm sure you'll have a lovely time with it.

Coco and Annie

Post by Coco and Annie » 05 Oct 2014, 08:40

Thanks guys.

We're hopefully going for a visit to Lomondhills, which is the nearest, next week to have a look at their dogs. Exciting times! I'll let you know how we get on.

If anyone has a wavy fleece dog from Lomondhills, I'd appreciate a photo. We're not quite so keen on the very curly coats.

:D

swardie

Post by swardie » 05 Oct 2014, 10:18

Coco and Annie- love you to see photos of a Dex, but it's such a palaver to post photos on here using an ipad. If you'd like to PM me your email, I can send you a few showing his coat as he's got older. Please give Grahame and Brenda our best ( Sandie & Dave). Enjoy your visit to LH. X

Bid

Post by Bid » 05 Oct 2014, 12:53

Just looking at Lomond hills as I've not heard of them - it looks like they breed labradors as well, and theyseem very thorough with health tests etc. Can people with their pups tell me - are the pups brought up in the family home?
www.dogtrekker.co.uk
Beauty without vanity, strength without insolence, courage without ferocity, and all the virtues of man without his vices - Byron

swardie

Post by swardie » 05 Oct 2014, 15:53

Yes, Bid, they are.

Bid

Post by Bid » 05 Oct 2014, 16:16

Thanks - good to know :-)
www.dogtrekker.co.uk

Pauline

Post by Pauline » 05 Oct 2014, 17:02

I would certainly recommend Jackie at Tora labradoodles, she also works with Debbie at http://creamofbritish-australianlabradoodles.com/ - they are both awesome breeders.
Both my boys come from Jackie although they are not Aussies but are fabulous dogs!

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Chelle46

Post by Chelle46 » 05 Oct 2014, 17:31

Just remember folks if you buy an aussie from any of these breeders they will be spayed/neutered at 8 weeks! That is just wrong and not done with labradoodles or other pedigrees.

Liz!!

Post by Liz!! » 06 Oct 2014, 10:56

My aussie seems fine after having had it done. And many pups are done at the same age in sanctuaries before they are allowed to be adopted, with no ill effects.

There are differences in fewer instances of cancer for both methods - neutering at a very young age or older.

The only thing i can find that does make a difference is the instance of inverted vulva - where the vulva in female dogs is slightly inside the body. This can mean urine 'pools' in a sort of fold around the vulva and irritate.

Lola has this but it doesn't worry her. In a dog that has had one season, the vulva has the chance to swell and this means it pops out.

Many bitches are speyed before their first season anyway - often without the owner knowing they have this problem. it is very common in labradors.

The safest thing health-wise is not to neuter at all - but this causes other problems, including a whole set of other cancers... so no method is fault-free.
Lola is a UK Assistance Dog, trained to alert me for low blood sugar by Medical Detection Dogs (http://www.medicaldetectiondogs.org.uk)

Coco and Annie

Post by Coco and Annie » 06 Oct 2014, 12:18

Thank you all for your replies and invaluable advice.

I have concerns myself about the early neutering. Our F1 mini Labradoodle has just had her first season at 7 months and she is booked in to be spayed on 21 November. I much prefer having control on when and if it is done. Does anyone know of Aussie breeders who allow you to spay/ neuter after you take the puppy home? I definitely don't want to breed and want the puppy 'done', just not at such an early age.

Would you think it wiser to look at Aussie doodle boy puppies rather than girls? Two reasons really - are there less side effects with early neutering a boy, rather than early spaying a girl? Also would two spayed girls generally get on worse together than a spayed girl and a neutered boy?

Thank you!

AnnieX