Tia - The ripped ear and the need for a new harness!

General discussion on all labradoodle-related matters - anything not otherwise covered by specific forums on the site.
EstelleB

Tia - The ripped ear and the need for a new harness!

Post by EstelleB » 08 Nov 2014, 12:12

I've not posted for ages as I've been a lot busier with work, but I was hoping for some advice on our new harness after poor Tia has spent the last 2 and a half weeks with a cone on her head!

To cut a long story short, she lunged towards another dog to play (she is a total nutcase), and it bit her really badly on her ear. The ear was badly split, needed lots of stitches, and the vet thought she may lose the whole bottom part of it. Luckily, having just had the stitches out, it looks as though she will get away with just having a small missing 'v' shape out of it.

She currently walks on an Easy Walk harness, which has been great for pulling, which she is terrible at without it, despite several rounds of training and constant reinforcement! However, it is not helpful at stopping the 'lunging'.

We have worked with her on sitting down when a dog approaches, which is working, but on this occassion the other dog approached from behind, and there will always be these odd occassions when we need to just grab her!

For this reason, I love the look of the Julius IDC harness with the handle on the back, and have read that if you get the optional padded chest strap, it can work as an anti-pull harness also. My vet however, thinks that these encourage pulling, which is the last thing we want!

Does anyone have any experience of these with the lead, or does anyone know of anything as robust which will help with pulling and lunging? I like the look of the dog games harness, but think that the Julius will be easier to grab, and I can't use a double-ended lead as it irritates my neck probem. Cheers

ImageImage

sunshine57

Re: Tia - The ripped ear and the need for a new harness!

Post by sunshine57 » 08 Nov 2014, 13:09

Hi there,
Oh poor little Tia she looks so sad have you tried her with Halti Head-collar ? I have just started to use one on my boy Beau because he pulls really hard but because the Halti had a band that goes across the nose you have total control of their head so they have to go where you want Beau is so much better with his.

Bid

Post by Bid » 08 Nov 2014, 14:34

I have a Julius harness for Beamish - it does nothing to prevent the lunging but is great for dragging him off poor unsuspecting bitches he humps :oops: :oops: I wouldn't hold the handle when he lunges though as all he has to do is spin round and it twists your wrist.

Tbh the only thing effective at controlling a dog from lunging is a head collar. I don't like them myself as you can see that the dogs are unhappy with them, but if you are struggling to hold a dog then they do work. Thw SWAG head collar is good as you can clip a lead on and off so you don't have to fiddle about with it on walks. The Gencon is also a good one. The others such as the halti and the gentle leader are a bit more fiddly.
www.dogtrekker.co.uk
Beauty without vanity, strength without insolence, courage without ferocity, and all the virtues of man without his vices - Byron

Bid

Post by Bid » 08 Nov 2014, 14:40

Here is Beam modelling his harness - I love that you can get your own lettering on them!

www.dogtrekker.co.uk
Beauty without vanity, strength without insolence, courage without ferocity, and all the virtues of man without his vices - Byron

dexysback

Post by dexysback » 08 Nov 2014, 14:49

what a shame ,hope he gets better soon ,my dog is a big boy and he pulls ,i cant hold him without the gentle leader ,i brought the cannie collar but find not so easy to put off and on as the gentle leader.I will tell my partner about this cause hes always letting dexter go to dogs on leads not knowing if they are freindly or not.
ImageImage

EstelleB

Post by EstelleB » 08 Nov 2014, 18:27

Thanks for the replies, and the pictures of Beamish, they do look great don't they, and I'd love to get her a pink one with 'Princess' on one side, and 'Nutcase' on the other!

Our vet said to get a headcollar, I've avoided it because they always seem to hate them, and people without dogs seem to assume that it is a muzzle and you have a dangerous dog! Tia's best friend is a massive labradoodle (male version of her really) and he has a headcollar which works for them, so it may be the best option!

I just love the look of that harness!

To the point about dogs on leads, I think this dog may have felt threatened because Tia is so big and bouncy, but it is also well known in our village for being a bit unpleasant!
ImageImage

iwantadog

Post by iwantadog » 08 Nov 2014, 19:13

Oh poor Tia.

I use a Halti for Murphy and it's brilliant. I have to admit he hated it at first, but soon got used to it.

ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Liz!!

Post by Liz!! » 08 Nov 2014, 22:11

When Lola was little (and she was little) she pulled my ulna out with her pulling. I used a Mekuti harness which attaches at the side and comes round and through the front AND attaches at the back.

It was fabulous. The idea is that if you have a harness that attaches at the back they can just utilise their chests and pull harder. Attached at the front if they pull they just pull themselves round to face you.

And for us, it worked. I know it hasn't for some dogs here.

There is also the Easy Walk which attaches at the front and if they pull the harness 'pulls' their front legs together which they don't like and that also stops them pulling.

I think your vet is right re having a harness that attaches at the back.
Lola is a UK Assistance Dog, trained to alert me for low blood sugar by Medical Detection Dogs (http://www.medicaldetectiondogs.org.uk)

Willow Dood

Post by Willow Dood » 08 Nov 2014, 22:19

I use the Gentle Leader head collar for Willow when we walk on a road (she lunges at cars etc) and she doesn't pull at all when she wears it. Mind you, she doesn't like it, but she is a different dog when she wears it. For normal walks, I use a Ferplast ergo comfort padded harness which I leave on her for the whole walk. I have been very pleased with the way it fits her and she seems to like wearing it. It also has a bit on the top of her back which can be used as a handle to grab her if necessary. It wasn't cheap though at over £26 from Amazon, but if it lasts it will be well worth it. I hope you find a solution that works for you.
Sue and Willow xx

ImageImage

Doodle Dee

Post by Doodle Dee » 09 Nov 2014, 11:56

I have a cannie collar for lulu to stop the pulling and also lunging. She doesn't like it but it isnt tight so it isn't hurting her. I call it magic, we can walk and even go to the vet and she just sits without trying to go to other dogs. It is peace for me and peace for her (not saying dont pull all the time). I did try most of the tricks but tbh she doesn't walk much with her lead as I only have to go round the back of my house to the park.

I do say to people (before they ask - its not a muzzle) - I think for peace of mind and my arms (bearing in mind she is a small dog) it is heaven walking her
Lulu & Dx

ImageImage

DiSet

Post by DiSet » 09 Nov 2014, 13:10

Hi. Kip used to lunge a lot, happens very infrequently now and he walks really well on his lead (he is nearly 5 though :) ). I use a gencon and really like it. Kip doesn't mind wearing it at all, I'm very careful not to tug him, and he's always responded positively to wearing it. I have a couple of harnesses. I use a fleece one for when we're in the fields/woods etc and he might want to dig. I use a Julius IDC harness for road walking/town etc. Kip's a big dog but I find I have good control with this harness. I introduced all these things slowly and gently, using lots of treats and praise.

Hope this helps, let us know how you get on with whatever you use :)

EstelleB

Post by EstelleB » 09 Nov 2014, 18:09

Thanks for all the advice, I will check out these other harnesses and head collars. I might end up with a head collar and the Julius, just won't tell me husband how much it has cost!
ImageImage

EstelleB

Post by EstelleB » 09 Nov 2014, 18:30

Hi Bid, I really like the look of the swag head collar, do you need to have the dog on one side with this one or does it attach in the middle? Thanks.
ImageImage

val&finn

Post by val&finn » 09 Nov 2014, 23:08

Hi there, poor Tia - hope she's a bit better now. Looks quite a stylish turban, though...

We use a head collar when we walk along busy roads as this gives good control but with regards to harnesses I find the Mekuti one very good - the dog sitter always request that Finn comes with that particular one. It has three rings to attach the double-ended lead to, left - right and centre. Seems it makes him pull less when the leash is attached to the left and right ring. I also like the Mekuti leashes, as they are so thickly padded.

Best wishes for a speedy recovery, Val
Val, Finn Doodle & Izzy Whizz

Bid

Post by Bid » 10 Nov 2014, 01:03

EstelleB wrote:Hi Bid, I really like the look of the swag head collar, do you need to have the dog on one side with this one or does it attach in the middle? Thanks.
From what I remember it attaches at the top. I haven't got one atm - it is out on loan.
www.dogtrekker.co.uk