Decent pair of wellies

General discussion on all labradoodle-related matters - anything not otherwise covered by specific forums on the site.
Sarahdol75

Decent pair of wellies

Post by Sarahdol75 » 15 Jan 2015, 18:50

I am after a decent pair of wellies, can anyone recommend any.

I am sick of buying cheaper ones and them splitting and having wet feet.

I have a pair of good solid walking boots that are waterproof and fur lined for the really cold days, but they are hassle having to tie up the laces and putting them on and off, just want a good pair of wellies to slip on when not too cold but to go out dog walking through muddy fields.
ImageImage

Oscar2011

Re: Decent pair of wellies

Post by Oscar2011 » 15 Jan 2015, 19:25

Maybe consider a pair of flippers, they are very waterproof, and might help with walking when conditions are muddy.

Oscar.

Mens sana in corpore sano.

Crazy flying dog,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3n5aKvfznuQ

Life of a Labradoodle,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rWFkOb39sv4

Molmil

Post by Molmil » 15 Jan 2015, 21:06

Not so much a recommendation, but I decided to buy decent wellies (not willies as spell check had put in for me - a whole different buy that was!), so went for some standard Hunter ones. They are warmer than standard Wellies (my Dunlop ones I had before), but I've been disappointed with how slippy the bottoms are. I've had a gentle slide on a muddy hill - luckily no one saw me sit in the mud, but the back of my coat was a give a way on the walk back and a part jump/part big step off the top part of a stile. Not great! My husbands Hunters are much better, so maybe men's ones would be OK.
Lesly

Sarahdol75

Post by Sarahdol75 » 15 Jan 2015, 21:23

Oscar2011, thanks for that recommendation :lol: :lol: :lol: might just need them, the way the weather is :lol: :lol: :lol:

Molmil, friends have said hunters, are slippy, and we have a fair few hills round here, so decided not to bother with them.
ImageImage

suzi23173

Post by suzi23173 » 15 Jan 2015, 21:42

Aigle parcours are excellent, comfy, warm even below zero, and have excellent grip- OH has them.
I have muck boots which are just as good with amazing grip. Its like having tractor tyres on your feet!
I got the "chores" ones and they are not very flexible on the ankle- you feel like you are wearing Wallace and Gromit's wrong trousers! If I got another pair I would get more flexible ones.

The difference between expensive and cheap ones is well worth the money mainly for the grip and the warmth and because they last. Both pairs are like new after a year.
When I researched mine I read that Hunters are not well thought of as a practical welly and more- more of a fashion statement for the Chelsea tractor brigade. People still buy them because of their reputation and then are disappointed the article I found said. OH had a pair and they lasted about 18 months before splitting and the grip was awful he said.
Love,
Suzi and Tess.
xxx

Molmil

Post by Molmil » 15 Jan 2015, 22:02

Wish I'd known that about the Hunters. Might wait until they reduce wellies in the Summer and get some better ones. Can keep them for youngest daughter. Sadly, they don't walk the dogs enough for slippy to be an issue! I'll keep a note of the recommendations too!

Coco and Annie

Post by Coco and Annie » 15 Jan 2015, 22:06

I also recommend the aigle parcours. They are quite heavy though which is great for winter but not so great for summer I guess.
X

Sarahdol75

Post by Sarahdol75 » 15 Jan 2015, 23:02

Thanks for the recommendations of the aigle parcours, I will check them out.
ImageImage

marymuffin

Post by marymuffin » 16 Jan 2015, 09:20

hi, I received a pair of Nevis snow boots for Christmas and I love them. I know they came from Amazon and were under £50. I haven't done a lot of walking in them as yet but so far so good . Velcro fastening, grippy sole ,wellie foot with warm lined tops very comfy. Good hunting. H and D

Lizzie-Lou

Post by Lizzie-Lou » 16 Jan 2015, 10:14

I bought a pair of "Bogs" boots made by Anatom which were recommended in a walking shop in the Lake District, where they know a bit about bad weather and boggy conditions :)
Apparently Bogs are very popular as work boots for the farming community up there. They have a rubber foot but the leg section is neoprene which makes them very flexible and easy to walk in. They have chunky soles with good traction and are warm as well as waterproof. The style I bought is called "Plimsole" and has a slightly narrower fitting to offer support round the ankles but there are various different sensible styles, as well as a whole host of lighter-weight boots in fashion colours for festival-goers! I've had them for several years and there are no signs of wear - they look as good as new. Reassuringly, the manufacturer offers an unconditional guarantee, so you can return them for any reason for a refund.

It's raining again today here in Kent.... roll on summer :)

Sonia

Samdunn

Post by Samdunn » 16 Jan 2015, 11:13

Great timing for this post. I looked up muck boots and they have some in the sale. Like the look of the ones with intregated liner to keep your feet warm. Can anyone recommend waterproof trousers?. I want something to put over my jeans . All week I've come home soaked to the skin through my jeans. Yes, roll on summer!

swardie

Post by swardie » 16 Jan 2015, 13:43

Hahaha- was going to reply earlier today that my OH and I have Hunters, which we both love, but kinda thought there would be those who are not fans, clearly :lol:!!!
I can only say that I've tried many types of wellies over the years, and have always had problems walking in them, and hated how cold they were, so therefore never wore them for our dog walking. But I must say Hunters are fab!!! Warm, great fit, and, for those that say they're sllippy, we have to negotiate very steep decking style steps to the beach, and we've never had a problem, also general rural field, mud etc. and we got them in our local dep stores sale- seriously , what's not to like!!! :P x

Samdunn

Post by Samdunn » 16 Jan 2015, 14:05

I've just ordered these
https://www.muckbootco.co.uk/product/Wo ... salewomens
I'll let you know how I get on

Liz!!

Post by Liz!! » 16 Jan 2015, 18:19

Hunters have split and come apart for two of my friends. They aren't made like they used to be, have pandered to the fashion market.

I have Aigle ones. (Means 'Eagle' in French.) They're not heavy at all, really comfy, the rubber is made in France and is the lightest best type ever, made for space. They are fab. They also have extra wide ones, REALLY wide, yippeee!

Try some on in a shop and buy them off the internet - they are pricey otherwise. You need the next size down from normal.

OR you can get leather ones, probably about the same price - i wear mine more than the Aigles, they are SO soft, completely waterproof, and look fab as well. Mine are tuffa and have lasted 4 years and are still supple, gorgeous and waterproof. Other makes are not as tough. They also come in extra wide.

Edit to say, both boots are warm in winter and cool in summer, i've worn both all year.
Last edited by Liz!! on 16 Jan 2015, 18:24, edited 1 time in total.
Lola is a UK Assistance Dog, trained to alert me for low blood sugar by Medical Detection Dogs (http://www.medicaldetectiondogs.org.uk)

Liz!!

Post by Liz!! » 16 Jan 2015, 18:23

re waterproof trousers - I was won over recently by the ones that you wear not over, but instead of. Mine are made by Berghaus, are grey, completely waterproof, but soft and feel like real trousers to wear. They don't swish, or irritate like those that go over trousers, and they are breathable. I don't wash them after every walk and have never got wet - and it leaves my jean clean!
Lola is a UK Assistance Dog, trained to alert me for low blood sugar by Medical Detection Dogs (http://www.medicaldetectiondogs.org.uk)